Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The man was a racist and a bigot of the highest order. You efforts to make him seem like anyting less is an epic FAIL!
So was 90% of the country at the time.

How does that make him different, and yes, that 90% number included the northern population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,646 times
He has a very interesting story. NBD on the license plate thing IMO. Learning about US history is never a bad thing.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Guess they believe in doing it in GRAND fashion. Does noe suprirse me in the least, look at what State we are talking about.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

How does that make him different, and yes, that 90% number included the northern population.
Most people didn't found organizations responsible for murdering and intimidating black people. I lived in a city named after Nathan Bedford Forrest, and the various attempts I've heard, in person, to rescue him from white supremacy are laughable at best. Honor him if you want, but recognize exactly what you're honoring.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Most people didn't found organizations responsible for murdering and intimidating black people. I lived in a city named after Nathan Bedford Forrest, and the various attempts I've heard, in person, to rescue him from white supremacy are laughable at best. Honor him if you want, but recognize exactly what you're honoring.
Forrest didn't represent anything that many of the founding fathers did as well.

"Miss Lou Lewis, daughter of a Pole Bearer member, was introduced to Forrest and she presented the former general a bouquet of flowers as a token of reconciliation, peace and good will. On July 5, 1875, Nathan Bedford Forrest delivered this speech:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.

(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

End of speech.1

Nathan Bedford Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis."

Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Guess they believe in doing it in GRAND fashion. Does noe suprirse me in the least, look at what State we are talking about.
You appear to be prejudiced against an entire state.

pot. meet. kettle.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

That is NOT a valid excuse to commerate him in any way shape form or fashion.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That is NOT a valid excuse to commerate him in any way shape form or fashion.
Read the speech I posted earlier, the man wasn't against black people, he was against yankees telling southern states what to do. As were many people who were for or against the war, after it ended.

Even Lincoln wanted to allow the southern states back in with no conditions. That idiot Booth hurt the south by assassinating him.

Look, I don't like slavery, I hate it. I despise the Klan in its current form.

I'm also a student of History, and Forrest was used as a figure head for something he didn't support, and disagreed with personally. He simply opposed the carpet bagging that was going on, and he felt that lending his name to the Klan would help to end that.

Again, read the speech, tell me where that is racist, please.

And by the same token, many of the founding fathers were just as racist, owned slaves, and we celebrate them. I don't see the difference. And no, I wouldn't get a Forrest license plate, but I wouldn't look down on anyone else for doing it either.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:56 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,027 times
Thanks for that irrelevant snippet, but a recanting doesn't really fully exculpate his actions. Nor am I so naive as to take such words at face value.

I hope, by the way, that the irony of the end of the piece you quoted isn't lost on you, given that you're from Memphis.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Good to see those ignorant of history keep posting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies