Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,857,668 times

Advertisements

If Egypt becomes another Iran so what?

Funny how other nations don't seem to have the same problems as the USA does with Iran.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,947,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Aside from a broad fear, you really have no evidence in support of this statement. It would be like assuming that every election we have the radical Christians will co-opt the entire process. They try every time, but have yet to bring our nation to their will. Trust the Egyptians.
I really would like to, but opinion polls show that most Egyptians are very much pro-sharia law (chopping off hands/heads, segregation of women, etc). I don't think that bodes well.

Like I said to LordBalfor, I DO hope that he is correct. I think those people that stood up for their beliefs are admirable.

However, only time will tell.

I hope that I am WRONG, for what it is worth. I'll be happy as hell to celebrate a free Egypt.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,697,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
There is everything wrong with it....and THAT is why the USA is not trusted.

To espouse freedom and democracy requires you support freedom and democracy.

The USA does not do that.
Hence the reason the USA is in it's current position.
You have a neocon view that we should control the world and determine their best interests. There's absolutely nothing wrong with LordBalfor's position. It is the wisest, lest we dive into every country with guns and force our will on their political process.

Far wiser to work with who they have, and when the opportunity arises for transition to Democracy, we support it.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,947,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
That was the opinion instruction to the Beckerheads today.
Uh, I'm not a beckerhead, peckerhead.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,312,402 times
Quote:
There is everything wrong with it....and THAT is why the USA is not trusted.

To espouse freedom and democracy requires you support freedom and democracy.

The USA does not do that.
Hence the reason the USA is in it's current position.
SURE we do. We have done so many many times in the past - but it's not OUR responsibility to MAKE it happen. It's up to the people in those countries to MAKE it happen.

Has EVERYONE we've supported been pro-democracy?
Of course not - often there WAS no pro-democracy potential leader (at least no one who had a REAL chance to making it happen - sometimes the people of a country are just not ready to take that step yet).

Have their been times when in fact we've supported dictators who were in reality ANTI-democratic over a leader who was truly democratic?
To our shame - yes, we have.

Is the the USUAL case?
No, it isn't.

In the case of Iran we stood by a brutal dictator wayyyyyy too long - and the result was a violently anti-American and anti-Democratic regime.

In the case of Egypt, we're doing the right thing. Stood by the guy until it became very clear his people no longer wanted him - then we cut the strings and (likely) helped pressure him out of the way so the people can have their way.

Ken

Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,857,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You have a neocon view that we should control the world and determine their best interests. There's absolutely nothing wrong with LordBalfor's position. It is the wisest, lest we dive into every country with guns and force our will on their political process.

Far wiser to work with who they have, and when the opportunity arises for transition to Democracy, we support it.
LOL..are you unable to comprehend anything if it is not spoonfed to you by your leaders?

Here is a little hint.

Go BACK and read the very first threads about the Egypt protests....

Like the one of very first threads on the topic started by me...

God leftists can be dim.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
I really would like to, but opinion polls show that most Egyptians are very much pro-sharia law (chopping off hands/heads, segregation of women, etc). I don't think that bodes well.

Like I said to LordBalfor, I DO hope that he is correct. I think those people that stood up for their beliefs are admirable.

I hope that I am WRONG, for what it is worth. I'll be happy as hell to celebrate a free Egypt.
Let's say, hypothetically, that sharia law takes root. Egypt still has a very large, very technology savvy, very aspirational young generation that is well connected into the global culture. If this transition brings the economic opportunities to Egypt that they are hoping, I would say it's only a matter of time before religion fades and global pragmatism emerges.

But, like you, I don't know. Only time will tell. That region is rapidly modernizing, though.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,843,115 times
Quote:

Which opinion polls would that be?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
LOL..are you unable to comprehend anything if it is not spoonfed to you by your leaders?

Here is a little hint.

Go BACK and read the very first threads about the Egypt protests....

Like the one of very first threads on the topic started by me...

God leftists can be dim.
Why are you being so rude to me? I'm trying to have a mature conversation and you keep coming with these personal and partisan attacks. I'm an independent. I don't buy into this notion that leftists or rightists are entirely right or wrong. I also don't understand why I would use threads on a forum filled with a very unlearned population with regard to global politics as a barometer.

The reality remains that Obama supported this revolution from the very beginning and showed wisdom in not picking sides, but rather in supporting the people and letting them determine who their next leadership would be.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:39 PM

154 posts, read 216,675 times
Quote:

Can you please provide reputable sources for the emboldened , quoted above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies