Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Those two claims are far from anything made up. Downplaying the importance of climate change is a good thing. It is not proven that man is causing it and there are more important things to worry about right now. Rebranding the public option to Government run option is no biggie as well, it means the same thing. Besides none of what is talked about in the article is actually newsworthy. All news outlets have a slant, they ALL do exactly what FOX is doing.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

The last quoted text in the OP is public knowledge...the study was posted and debated here, for example, and that poll is a bunch of crap, if you bother to read the fine print.

What is not surprising to me is that liberals believe all this crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's the real issue--is the employee making the claims credible or not. It doesn't matter who reports it if it's true. I'm thinking this is going to be hashed out one way or another. I'm not saying it's the truth, but the standard line on whistle blowers is to call them a "disgruntled employee." We'll see.
No, the real issue is that these are non-issues and the whole thing is being blow out of proportion in typical liberal style.

Downplaying the average temperature rise is a good thing, as was said earlier, so as not to panic people, and besides which, it has already been proven that the earth has normal cooling and warming cycles, and that "global warming" as libbies want to present is a farce.

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like outright lies were being told, and it's not like things were necessarily being spun, either. Calling it "gov't-run hcare" instead of "public option" or whatever is not exactly spinning it, it's calling it what it is, whether you like it or not.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:42 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, the real issue is that these are non-issues and the whole thing is being blow out of proportion in typical liberal style.
Actually, things such as credibility, factual information, and journalistic integrity are actual issues. In fact they should be the primary issues for any organization that calls its self "news". Otherwise it isn't news, its John and Mary's story telling hour.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
Geez, even my republican friend who worships the ground that Hannity walks on, will never tell me a story that Fake News puts on. She's been put on the spot too often about there being facts and then there's the Fake News spin. She got busted last time when she was telling me Hannity showed what a huge rally there was against health care. All well and good, except Hannity showed footage from another, much larger rally - certainly not the one he was referring to.
Did it ever occur to you that 1) your friend is too dumb to know what she's talking about, 2) she got things confused, or 3) your facts are wrong?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Although I know this is MSNBC we're talking about, I have to admit, I'm shocked at the commentary and the delusional conclusions people jump to.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I can understand a little bit. Megyn is pretty, but talk about dumb as a rock, whew!
If dumb people can get law degrees and have a successful career in journalism, as an anchor, no less...whatever you say.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Actually, things such as credibility, factual information, and journalistic integrity are actual issues. In fact they should be the primary issues for any organization that calls its self "news". Otherwise it isn't news, its John and Mary's story telling hour.
Those are not an issue, no matter what MM has to say.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:31 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
There remain to this day health concerns over its use and numerous companies now make a point that they clearly label their products rBGH free. Almost all nations besides the USA ban its use.

Human health concerns centre around three areas:

• rBST and its byproducts
  • increased levels of IGF
  • secondary effects, e.g. the increased use of antibiotics to treat mastitis
IGF is produced by the cow in response to BGH injections,[14] and it is this hormone which increases growth and milk production. Bovine and porcine IGF-I are identical to human IGF-I, while IGF-II differs among animal species.[15]

IGF plays a role in the formation of new tumours [16][17] [18] and increased levels of IGF-1 may be linked to increased risk of breast, colon, and prostate cancer. [19] [20] However IGF is involved in many biological processes so it is not possible to assign a clear-cut cause and effect relationship. IGF-1 is not denatured by pasteurisation, so consumption of milk from rBST treated dairy cows will increase the daily intake of IGF-I.[citation needed]
Further association of IGF with breast cancer was provided by a 20-year epidemiological study begun in 1976, which was published in 1997.[21]

The United States is the only developed nation to permit humans to drink milk from cows given artificial growth hormone.[1] Posilac was banned from use in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and all European Union countries (currently numbering 27), by 2000 or earlier.
In the United States, public opinion has caused a number of products and retailers to become rBST-free

Bovine somatotropin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The point of the whole matter as it applies to this thread is that Fox acted as a conduit for corporate interests instead of acting on behalf of the public, which is what their FCC license states is their duty. The court's decision stated that the FCC position is a policy and not a requirement.

So, Fox is not bound to provide accurate or unbiased "news" that would be in the public interest. They can continue to act as corporate mouthpieces. A function their viewers appear to be strongly inoculated against recognizing.

What protection does the public have from deceptive news practices if proof of claims made by reporters is not required?

Knowing something and reporting it as fact without proof are two very different things. The latter will result in litigation.

That hippies will have nothing to do with rBGH doesn't prove it causes cancer in humans. It just proves they've had far too much time on their hands since Nixon resigned.

Should the Fox affiliate have allowed the couple to air a story without evidence to back up their claims just because people who smoke pot and drink soy milk distrust Monsanto and blame their man boobs on GM corn?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Yes, that from MSNBC is what they are all about.

No, don't show the non edited version, that shows the guy packing the guns, is a Patriotic Black guy. Only show the edited version so you can talk about race and the fear of the whities taking out a black President.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Those are not an issue, no matter what MM has to say.
Then at least we agree what you are watching isn't really news because if things such as factual information, journalistic integrity, and credibility are not "an issue", then you have Bob and Mary's story telling hour.

"I demand news, not facts as facts aren't an issue", which is basically saying, GIVE ME ENTERTAINMENT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies