Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 02:02 PM

421 posts, read 448,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Have tried to grab onto a comment here, but no go. The post appears nonsensical with atrocious syntax, so as much as I would like, I cannot parlay.
sorry Lilypad, let me try and be more clear:

To say that Islam causes violence, or causes Muslims to want to kill is to assert a causal chain. This means that you are saying 'A causes B' , in simple logical terms. Is asserting a causal chain too academic a concept? Does it make sense? I'm aware that I take a lot of understanding of strange things for granted at times.

Anyhow, this logic begs a question, who wrote the Koran, and why? There are two possible answers to that question:

1.God

2.People

In the former case, then all arguments become unimportant, as whatever Muslims do is the work of God and inherently good.

In the latter case, people wrote the Koran, therefore it is a reflection of that society, not a cause of of it.

Realistically then, you are left with two choices.

1. God wrote the Koran and you should follow it

2. That people did and thus it can't be the cause of violence, and you need to look at politics.

Was that any clearer? Please do get me to clarify points if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Here is another good read on the matter.

A rare history lesson: The truth about Israel and Palestine
That is a biased and flawed article and has very little based in "truth".

Many responses to this thread aren't even worth responding to. Wow. My facetious answer to this would be: for the same reason that Israel wants the destruction of Arab Muslims countries.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:44 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
That is a biased and flawed article and has very little based in "truth".

Many responses to this thread aren't even worth responding to. Wow. My facetious answer to this would be: for the same reason that Israel wants the destruction of Arab Muslims countries.
Israel does not want the destruction of the Arab Muslim countries.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:58 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
sorry Lilypad, let me try and be more clear:

To say that Islam causes violence, or causes Muslims to want to kill is to assert a causal chain. This means that you are saying 'A causes B' , in simple logical terms. Is asserting a causal chain too academic a concept? Does it make sense? I'm aware that I take a lot of understanding of strange things for granted at times.

Anyhow, this logic begs a question, who wrote the Koran, and why? There are two possible answers to that question:

1.God

2.People

In the former case, then all arguments become unimportant, as whatever Muslims do is the work of God and inherently good.

In the latter case, people wrote the Koran, therefore it is a reflection of that society, not a cause of of it.

Realistically then, you are left with two choices.

1. God wrote the Koran and you should follow it

2. That people did and thus it can't be the cause of violence, and you need to look at politics.

Was that any clearer? Please do get me to clarify points if need be.

Your "points" have no relevance to those who do not embrace Islam. My choices are my own, and have not a whit to do with the ramblings of some crazed "prophet" or deluded posters.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:37 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
I think this topic was exhausted already with endless posts (tens of thousands actually). Why start milling water again?

Last edited by oberon_1; 02-12-2011 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 06:02 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
According to the bible, if I don't accept Jesus as my savior, I'm going to hell. Die/Hell - what is the difference.
These are from old world books. Man onced even believed in more than one God(s).

Are these the type of arguments we are going to use as basis and rationale for confrontation/occupation in present day society?

Maybe, we should be quoting from the Mayans, Aztecs, and Incas - it's closer to home
First of all, and this is so obvious, going to hell after you die, and killing others because they don't believe as you do is about as far apart as things can be, almost as far as sanity and liberalism are, and that a fer piece.

Do you think you will be muttering the same sort of BS, as your head of sawn of for the crime of being on the sidewalk with someone not your husband etc.? Of course you will - but only for a second or two!!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
The Arab States don't want Israel to disappear. (Iranians are not Arabs.) The Israeli govt. refused to discuss the Arab/Saudi peace plans of 2002 and 2007 and still have not issued an offical response. This plan as a basis of negotiation recognizes Israel. Israel simply can't understand, US aide will not go on forever while Arabs are dispossed of their homes, water, housing etc.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
The Arab States don't want Israel to disappear. (Iranians are not Arabs.) The Israeli govt. refused to discuss the Arab/Saudi peace plans of 2002 and 2007 and still have not issued an offical response. This plan as a basis of negotiation recognizes Israel.
I was very careful in my OP to make the distinction of those Arab Muslim states and not Arab secular states (Egypt pre-revolution for example).

You state the Iranians are not Arabs? How so? Was there not a huge influx of Arabs in the 7th century following the fall of Persia to Islam? Are they not Persian Arabs sharing the present day arabic language and culture for the most part?

We have heard the Ayatollah Ali Kahmenei call for the destruction of Israel, we have heard Ahmadinajad call for the destruction of Israel, we have heard Hamas and Hezbollah call for the destruction of Israel, and we have heard the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt call to have the Egypt/Israeli peace treaty ended. Given the influence of the supreme Ayatollah, of Hamas and Hezbollah, and of the Muslim Brotherhood in the governments of the region how is it incorrect to state that it is the Arab Muslim states that seek the destruction of Israel?

How would you define it?

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 02-12-2011 at 06:52 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

You state the Iranians are not Arabs? How so?
Ah, because for thousands of years they have been Persians?

Quote:
Was there not a huge influx of Arabs in the 7th century following the fall of Persia to Islam?
The fall of Persia to Islam, interesting wording, but I digress. Persia was conquered by Arabs, not colonized.

Quote:
Are they not Persian Arabs sharing the present day arabic language and culture for the most part?
Ah, NO! Iranians speak Farsi, the official language, not Arabic!!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 PM

499 posts, read 405,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I was very careful in my OP to make the distinction of those Arab Muslim states and not Arab secular states (Egypt pre-revolution for example).

You state the Iranians are not Arabs? How so? Was there not a huge influx of Arabs in the 7th century following the fall of Persia to Islam? Are they not Persian Arabs sharing the present day arabic language and culture for the most part?
Don't know about the cultural aspect but Persian (Farsi) is the official language of Iran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies