Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sure. Organized religion had less than nothing to do with the wars that the various Native American tribes fought with each other in pre-white man days, as an example.
I find myself agreeing with you. I guess Sarah hasn't entered this thread yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Immigration was a success when theis country was a true melting pot and people who immigrated wanted to become Americans.
When was this?

It had to be sometime in between the nativist riots against Irish Catholics, and the expulsion of the Cherokees, or between the expulsion of the Cherokees and rise of the Yellow Peril, or maybe it was between the Yellow Peril and the Red scare that targeted eastern European immigration, or perhaps perhaps it was between the Red scare and the Mexican invasion? Of course finding a gap between these periods, when the pot was actually melting, and when persons of African descent were being freely added to the pot must be very difficult.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 PM

154 posts, read 216,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Culture can not be forgotten or tossed aside, it can go unrecognized, but it is always there because it is the sum of your experiences and learned behaviors (Tylor, 1871).
That's a good quote, for sure. A little out-dated when taking into consideration the difference between society today and society in 1871 though. Rep headed your way none the less!

Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAR84 View Post
That's a good quote, for sure. A little out-dated when taking into consideration the difference between society today and society in 1871 though. Rep headed your way none the less!
Thanks but it isn't really a quote it is a boiled down version of pioneer anthropologist Edward B. Tylor's definition of culture, a construct that is still the basis of cultural anthropology.

http://www2.truman.edu/~rgraber/cultev/tylor.html (broken link)

Old 02-13-2011, 04:00 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmad View Post
There is NO INFLUX of muslims. More ****ing fear mongering
LOL

Keep your head in the sand.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAR84 View Post
You notice no one has taken me up in my challenging question? I'm waiting. Don't dodge the question, beta male.

Again - what are some clearly defined examples of American "culture" ??? Anyone???

Name some examples in daily life that revolve inseperably around American "culture".

True culture - not something vague and misleading like "freedom" or anything glorifying mass murder. Not inventions or inventors. I'm talking bonafide, set in stone un-debatable examples of culture. There are so very few examples it's sad - and the few examples that there are are largely ignored, neglected, tossed aside, etc, today. Culture conveniently gets remembered when people feel threatened, outnumbered, or when there's instability. But beyond that it doesn't make any impact in their lives.
Name calling is a sign of great intelligence.

But I digress.

I stated that I feel sorry for you because you do not seem to know what American Culture is, and how it has bettered the world.

There is no single explanation of "American Culture".

American Culture changes and evolves all the time.

American Culture changes from region to region and city to city.

Billions of people around the globe have tried to emulate American Culture for decades.

You can even go so far as to say that American exceptionalism is a driving force in the betterment of mankind.

That about says it all.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The whole human race is a failure because humans are ignorant and violent.
Humans never fail for reasons to fight each other and go to war. Humans rip each other off all the time. The only thing humans have done to this planet is destroy. The only things humans construct are to glorify themselves. Just look around at the world, humans all over hate other humans. Most people can't think of anything else to do in life except to mutilate themselves, each other, and the common environment.
I'm thinking that you're a glass half empty kind of person, huh?

You must be a blast at a party!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathfromabove View Post
Why don't minorities that don't want to be American just go back to their homelands instead of starting a new China town or Puerto Rican village in our cities? Maybe there should be more laws restricting that sort of thing. I can only imagine those people don't like "white" people or people who act "white".
Let's be honest here.

Can we have an adult conversation?

Is anyone really speaking about Chinatown, or Little Italy?

No.

We are speaking to the muslim problem.

Radical islam IS the problem.

Is anyone really worried about terror attacks coming from Chinatown or Little Italy?

I don't think that anyone has even given that a second thought.

99.9999999999% of the terrorism is coming from the muslim community.

In almost every country on earth.

Get your politically correct heads out of the sand and deal with reality.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'm thinking that you're a glass half empty kind of person, huh?

You must be a blast at a party!
It's the equivalent of the guy that plays "Eve Of Destruction" at a party.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:07 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
[quote=DAAR84;17839290]Can you please provide for me some examples of clearly defined American Culture????

Values influence culture. I entered school in the late 60s. The values that were clearly defined were honesty, trustworthiness, hard work, and responsibility. The expectation was set that we would be productive and responsible citizens and take pride in preserving and defending our country.

As a boy, I was taught that I should work hard, complete school and get a good job so that I could get married and start a family.

I attended the town 4th of July celebrations, marched with the Boy Scouts in the Memorial Day Parade and sang Christmas carols at the tree lighting ceremony in the town center.

As a school child, we celebrated Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas/Hanukkah, Valentine's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, and Flag Day. We studied these special occasions, made projects, and brought them home to our families. We made Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Grandparent's Day cards and discussed the importance of family.

All of this is largely absent or glossed over in today's classroom. Kids are left largely to figure it out for themselves. Some may say that is a good thing because they disagree with certain traditions that are embedded in our historical American culture. However, without common elements to embrace we have nothing but the substitute commercial/pop/narcissistic culture to fill the void.

I prefer honesty, trustworthiness, responsibility, and fostering a solid work ethic to develop an educated, responsible and productive citizen.

Am I Trustworthy and In Our Hands are examples of the types of films we watched regularly as a child that clearly defined the expectations for me as a citizen. Here is a link to that film and some others that we watched as kids:

http://www.avgeeks-footage.com/wp/category/at-home/

Last edited by Lincolnian; 02-13-2011 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies