Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 02:07 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,096,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
It is not the true but the true is that your country talk about other countries what they are doing all the time! And what is different too is that we know where is your country (and about others too) but many from your country don't know that Europe is a continent not a country (like Africa).
Lol.

Yeah, those ignorant Americans that do nothing but talk about other countries and what they're doing. Wait ... I thought that Americans were so focused on themselves, they didn't give a thought to what's going on in other countries.

Which is, I guess, what I must be, as I was unaware that all the nations on the continent of Africa united to form one large country. That's amazing. How'd I miss that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 PM

9,437 posts, read 10,720,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Very interesting. I do not identify with being "American" because I am only American because my relatives ran away from their countries . . . America's "culture" is also nothing to be proud of - who wants to identify with a junk culture?

I could never identify with the flag-wavers, the patriots - it just seems like nationalism to me and it is not attractive - the "wholesome" boring parades . . . it's all very surface-y and hollow - it's not cool at all.

But being Italian is so romantic - and being Irish is so . . . Celtic . . .these cultures are meaty.

America is just too trashy, shallow, and uninteresting for my taste.

And my heritage means a lot to me . . . maybe if America was really AWESOME there would not be the need to identify with one's original culture . . . but I also think it is shallow not to give the origins a thought. Migration is for upstarts and troublemakers . . . nothing to be that proud of . . . I guess the occasional dreamer with incentive would be an exception.

Our culture is NOT trashy or shallow. Maybe you should get out and do something other than watching Jersey shore and keeping up with the Kardashians. Get out and see this country and you will know that our culture is rich and varied. All the ethinic groups that make up this nation also have added part of thier rich culture to ours. Oh and Migration is not for uspstarts and troublemakers. Most of our immigrants were very ambitions and inventive. They also had grand ideals that were not permitted in Europe. They wanted religous freedom, economic freedom and they wanted opportunity. They risked everything to come here, they worked hard and they created great things. They carved a civilization out of a wilderness in just a few hundred years. Visit a museum, visit a baseball game, visit a civil war battlefield, visit independence hall, go have some southern barbeque, while your there go see the Grand ole Oprey, and visit some of our great historic cities like New Orleans, Boston and Charleston. Experience this country, educate yourself and then tell me Americas culture is trashy. Have some pride in what your ancestors helped to build, and be thankful you were born in such a blessed nation.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,128,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
. I've NEVER heard Europeans, muhc less the British and Germans, call the U.S., the U.S.
I know you said that in earlier posts, which is why I thought it odd that you then said you've NEVER heard Europeans use the term.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,883,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because most of us don't want to be "world citizens" living "peacefully" under the UN flag.

If you read earlier posts of mine in this thread, I said most people, except the Spanish, call Americans, Americans. I know I'm latino after all
This is so amazing to me, I just have to comment. I cannot even comprehend the fact that there are people who don't want to live in peace as world citizens.

I mean, it makes sense, because there are so many wars around the world and so many territorial people, but I never heard someone actually say they prefer not to live in peace. That is just mind-boggling.

What goes around, comes around, you know - I would never want to be a war-monger. Horrible. But then again, I don't want to be a "bad guy" of any kind, but there are plenty of people who prefer to be killers and masters of destruction.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Our culture is NOT trashy or shallow. Maybe you should get out and do something other than watching Jersey shore and keeping up with the Kardashians. Get out and see this country and you will know that our culture is rich and varied. All the ethinic groups that make up this nation also have added part of thier rich culture to ours. Oh and Migration is not for uspstarts and troublemakers. Most of our immigrants were very ambitions and inventive. They also had grand ideals that were not permitted in Europe. They wanted religous freedom, economic freedom and they wanted opportunity. They risked everything to come here, they worked hard and they created great things. They carved a civilization out of a wilderness in just a few hundred years. Visit a museum, visit a baseball game, visit a civil war battlefield, visit independence hall, go have some southern barbeque, while your there go see the Grand ole Oprey, and visit some of our great historic cities like New Orleans, Boston and Charleston. Experience this country, educate yourself and then tell me Americas culture is trashy. Have some pride in what your ancestors helped to build, and be thankful you were born in such a blessed nation.
You know what they say about people who make assumptions.

Where did you get the idea I watch Jersey Shore? Have never seen an episode in my life and don't plan to.

Who says I don't get out?

Crazy how some people just project all kinds of lunatic ideas and then start debating them as if they are real . . . maybe you have mistaken me for someone else or else your meds may have run out.

I beg to differ with you about American culture. Those Fourth of July parades are cheesy. The small town bigotry is not endearing. The religious nuts are not enchanting.

Hot dogs and hamburgers taste good but they are made in FILTHY slaughter houses . . . I am sure BBQ and fried food tastes mighty good but it sure does clog up your arteries. I much prefer a nice pasta and salad or the plethora of ethnic cuisine we have, courtesy of OUR HERITAGE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES.

And plenty of misfits left Europe for the New World. They weren't all the "best and the brightest."

I personally am lucky I was born in the United States of America because I was born during a time when the country was supposedly thriving. Subsequently, it has all gone down hill. All of the major cities are hotbeds of crime and decay. I can't even begin to think about all of the problems this country has, beginning with the fact that we are war-mongers and are currently fueling two unwinnable wars . . .I am not proud of that.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:09 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,270,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When people aren't a mix of heritages, when they maintain their own cultural identity instead of adopting the American culture, are they still American? What about the Amish? Do they accept American culture? Are they better for NOT doing so?
What's YOUR definition of American Culture?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 PM

7,119 posts, read 8,605,755 times
I'm curious has someone taken their meds today

Old 02-13-2011, 07:31 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,897,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I'm curious has someone taken their meds today

Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 PM

9,437 posts, read 10,720,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You know what they say about people who make assumptions.

Where did you get the idea I watch Jersey Shore? Have never seen an episode in my life and don't plan to.

Who says I don't get out?

Crazy how some people just project all kinds of lunatic ideas and then start debating them as if they are real . . . maybe you have mistaken me for someone else or else your meds may have run out.

I beg to differ with you about American culture. Those Fourth of July parades are cheesy. The small town bigotry is not endearing. The religious nuts are not enchanting.

Hot dogs and hamburgers taste good but they are made in FILTHY slaughter houses . . . I am sure BBQ and fried food tastes mighty good but it sure does clog up your arteries. I much prefer a nice pasta and salad or the plethora of ethnic cuisine we have, courtesy of OUR HERITAGE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES.

And plenty of misfits left Europe for the New World. They weren't all the "best and the brightest."

I personally am lucky I was born in the United States of America because I was born during a time when the country was supposedly thriving. Subsequently, it has all gone down hill. All of the major cities are hotbeds of crime and decay. I can't even begin to think about all of the problems this country has, beginning with the fact that we are war-mongers and are currently fueling two unwinnable wars . . .I am not proud of that.

This is a free country and you are free to turn your back on it. However if I was as miserable as you seem to be with life here I would be looking elsewhere for a place to live. If you think our culture is trash, think all our cities are decayed and believe we are a nation of warmongers thirsting for the blood of others then maybe its time for you to make a change. Most people I know love this country, but then again I live in one small towns with a cheesy forth of July parade. You and I must live in two completly different America's.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM

Such a throwback: "America, Love it or Leave it." Unfortunately for you, we still have free speech and I am free to say what I do not like about this country. What I do like is the land and the natural beauty.

But that does not minimize the many problems "we" have. And whether you realize it or not, we are all in this together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies