Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:57 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,930,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I was trying to be civil and gain a better understanding. You make it sound like I'm trying to control your actions. Militant much?

Let me get right on those reparations for you. I can't help but get the impression that you dislike white people in general.[/quote]

why do you assume that? some white conservative types always feel like things should be done their way or the highway. The guy certainly has a right to say what he thinks he should be called if you all insist him on calling him something other than plain ol "American".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 05:02 PM

11,145 posts, read 10,913,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
why do you assume that? some white conservative types always feel like things should be done their way or the highway. The guy certainly has a right to say what he thinks he should be called if you all insist him on calling him something other than plain ol "American".
It's all about the tone. I was simply trying to gain insight on a subject and he came out at me like I just fell out of a KKK rally.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times
Quote:
I was trying to be civil and gain a better understanding. You make it sound like I'm trying to control your actions. Militant much?

"Let me get right on those reparations for you. I can't help but get the impression that you dislike white people in general."[/quote]

You are trying to control my actions. Why even bother to tell me about what white Americans call themselves unless you want me to get the idea that as a black man, i should do the same. That's certainly the implication here. And i'm just telling you, i reject it out of hand. What you as an American of German descent chooses to do has no bearing on what i choose to do.

And no, i'm not being militant in this case (though i will be when i need to be), i'm being vigilant....against people who through their own supremacy complex feels the need to tell me what to call myself.

Reparations? This might be the most hilarious thing you've said. If by some accident you happen to have anything worth having, it's surely not something i would want. I don't need reparations....nothing about me is in disrepair. If i want it, i can get it myself, just like i always have. Reparations! Some folks...i swear.

Lastly, i have no axe to grind with individual whites, so no, i don't dislike white people in general. If i did, i'd just say so. I wouldn't be surreptitious about it.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And no, i'm not being militant in this case (though i will be when i need to be), i'm being vigilant....against people who through their own supremacy complex feels the need to tell me what to call myself.
You assume I have a "supremacy complex". What did I write that gave you that impression? From the sound of your rebuttal to my posts, you give me the impression that you have an "inferiority complex". At bare minimal you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder and an axe to grind.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times
Quote:
You assume I have a "supremacy complex". What did I write that gave you that impression? From the sound of your rebuttal to my posts, you give me the impression that you have an "inferiority complex". At bare minimal you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder and an axe to grind.
Then why tell me about what you as an American of German extraction chooses to call yourself? What was the point you were making?

And again, if i had an axe to grind, i'd just say so. This is only a forum...it's not like you could reach through my computer and punch me for disagreeing.

Chip? Yea, i don't like people trying to tell me what to do when they have no authority to do so.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,304,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have not heard that the tiny Greek population in Egypt had an issue with the term African American, nor would I refer to them as colonists. Please enlighten us.
Clue Number 1: Hannibal

Clue Number 2: Carthage

Clue Number 3: Google clue number 1 and clue number 2

Old 02-13-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Then why tell me about what you as an American of German extraction chooses to call yourself? What was the point you were making?

Chip? Yea, i don't like people trying to tell me what to do when they have no authority to do so.
I was simply stating what I do. I was not trying to tell you what to do. You can do anything you want. I was just giving an example.

You just seem like a real angry person. I apologize if I offended you somehow.

Moving on......

Old 02-13-2011, 05:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,450,805 times
Quote:

Let me get right on those reparations for you. I can't help but get the impression that you dislike white people in general.

Its comments like these that impede the flow of constructive and informative conversation. When other people give me an intelligent point of view from their perspective, I find it enlightening.

Why is it necessary to resort to taunts simply because you are not personally prive to the other person's view and/or life experience?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Its comments like these that impede the flow of constructive and informative conversation. When other people give me an intelligent point of view from their perspective, I find it enlightening.

Why is it necessary to resort to taunts simply because you are not personally prive to the other person's view and/or life experience?
It was the way he came across in his post to me. I found it quite agressive and rude. He found my post to be rude as well. These are the downsides to not being able to talk to the person, in person. We're limited to faceless words.

All apologies. Moving on.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,402,056 times
That seems about right. African-American (or, if you prefer, Blacks) in this country have a different history, experience, and background in this country than that of African immigrants. It's no different than if I went to Vietnam where I was born and said, "I'm Vietnamese!!" I may be because of my ethnic composition but other than that...not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies