Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 12:26 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No........they are not Africans because they spent generations making sure (apartheid, etc.) that they kept themselves as far away from real Africans as possible while simultaneously exploiting the continent's human and natural resources. Now they want to act as if everyone on the continent is one big happy family? I don't think so.
Yes, that would be true for many. But you are painting with a very broad brush...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 05:25 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, that would be true for many. But you are painting with a very broad brush...
OK. Please tell me where or how I might be off base.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Riiiight! Poor old whitey had nothing to do with it?
Whites are just as guilty as the Africans who sold their own kind

Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Just more generalizing. I would like to see articles written about "dumb Pollocks" or "Hillbillies" and all the disparaging terms about Irish and Italians. Then have a 9-10 page conversation about how I know so and so who spoke ill about Billy the Irishman and he is just jealous of white Americans or vice versa.

All of this is just ridiculous, especially the "I know a AA who said so and so about an person from Cameroon." It is ridiculous and laughable.

I am black, not African because I was born here and my parents, some ancestors all the way back to the 1700s. I am an American plain and simple. I have some African and Caucasion and Native American ancestry but I am black and am not jealous of black people from any African country or from the Carribbean. I speak English very well and am very easily understood. I am well read and college educated. I work and have never been on assistance and basically am just an average American.

It is crazy to think that one article is a relfection of a whole group of millions of people or that one person's experience of one other person means that that is the way the whole group thinks. Like I said before, just ridiculous.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Like I said, I've never really experienced anything...nor do I know anyone out of my friends that have.

BTW, I asked my White cousin (by marriage) from Cote d'Ivoire...he considers himself Franco-Ivorian...not African. If he immigrated to the states, he would be White.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So Africans had boats to ship these Africans all across the Americas from coast of New England and the Carolinas into the West Indies and Central America and all the way down to the coasts of Brazil and Argentina?

The nations of Africa provided the financial backing to the sea captains, human cargo brokers and slave traders?
Africans during that time period were the only ones enslaving their own kind. They sold most of their kind for profit.

Europeans looked at it as business.

Quote:
Muslims were selling goods to the African kingdoms and the African kingdoms were paying with their own people. In most instances, no violence was necessary to obtain those slaves.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Africans during that time period were the only ones enslaving their own kind. They sold most of their kind for profit.

It is interesting to note that Europeans did also use threats to obtain what they wanted. It's not as if these were 100% peaceful trade deals.

Not to mention it was assumed many of those sold into slavery by the Europeans were not going across the ocean.

Really the idea that Africans sold each other into slavery is true, but with some very important historical footnotes/caveats.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

Don't worry, no matter what facts you present, it's still the white man's fault. There HAS to be a scapegoat in this, there just HAS to be.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:56 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So Africans had boats to ship these Africans all across the Americas from coast of New England and the Carolinas into the West Indies and Central America and all the way down to the coasts of Brazil and Argentina?
No boats necessary for Intra-African trade (i.e., Africans enslaving and trading other Africans)

Are boats needed to ship anything from let's say Montana to Tennessee? Of course not. They're on the same land mass.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Don't worry, no matter what facts you present, it's still the white man's fault. There HAS to be a scapegoat in this, there just HAS to be.
Fault that Africans enslave their own kind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies