Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's another way to look at it. In my experience, the people who shout about their faith the loudest, wear it on their sleeve, and judge other's behavior are usually the ones trying to deflect and hide their own dirty little secrets. Most of the "real" Christians I know--the ones who actually go about the business of trying to follow in the steps of Christ--tend to be pretty humble people. They don't need to demonstrate their faith to the world because their personal relationship with God is strong and secure.
Maher is trying to convince his lemmings that being humble in your religion can be interpreted as not being religious at all. I'm sure they'll believe him, because like Maher, they WANT to believe that Obama is a secular humanist rather than a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 01:14 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

So, do 'heavy' Christians preach hatred as part of their dogma?
I personally find the term "Christian lite" kind of offensive, because it implies that unless you're a bible waving fundamentalist, you're not a real Christian, or you're a "lite" Christian. Most mainline protestants don't go down that path, but they do focus on living life in a Christ like way. Actions speak much louder to me than words.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I don't believe Maher to be funny so it evens out.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

So, do 'heavy' Christians preach hatred as part of their dogma?
Christianity & Homosexuality in America: Violence, Discrimination, Hatred

Violence against LGBT people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, a lot of them do. Not most, but its a part of the Christian mind set.

What would you call a hardcore Christian? Someone who believes that every word of the bible is Gods word? Remember the bible says to kill homosexuals. Is that Gods word too?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's another way to look at it. In my experience, the people who shout about their faith the loudest, wear it on their sleeve, and judge other's behavior are usually the ones trying to deflect and hide their own dirty little secrets. Most of the "real" Christians I know--the ones who actually go about the business of trying to follow in the steps of Christ--tend to be pretty humble people. They don't need to demonstrate their faith to the world because their personal relationship with God is strong and secure.
I've often found the same thing.

Its like they are trying to secure their own faith by trying to convince others that they are right.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:37 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Ah yes, Bill Maher and his pseudo-intellectualism.
Yeah, didn't he marry that PlayBoy Cyber gal/ flight attendant for what all of a year.

It's always amusing when these people who fancy themselves intellectuals go for the high brow academics from Playboy University!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:40 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Ah yes, Bill Maher and his pseudo-intellectualism.
Yeah, didn't he marry that PlayBoy Cyber gal/ flight attendant for what all of a year.

It's always amusing when these people who fancy themselves intellectuals go for the high brow academics from Playboy University!
Hmm...I thought Maher had "evolved" past the archaic idea of marriage?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Maher has never been married. He did date that playboy woman for a year, and she sued him because she said he promised to marry her, but they were never married.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yes! After his disaster with the Playboy bunny, Cocoa, or some silly name like that, I believe he has officially written off the institution of marriage. lol!

Maybe it hurt his bottom line a bit too much. You know, where it hurts.
The pocket book.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Maher has never been married. He did date that playboy woman for a year, and she sued him because she said he promised to marry her, but they were never married.
Oh, excuse me. You maybe correct. I thought he walked her down the aisle. Maybe I got it mixed up since I read she tried to sue him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies