Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:41 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Look at the threads at any given time.
That's not backing up your claim, that's actually avoiding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I have a very high end job, lots of education, more than several degrees. Most days I wish I was a janitor again. Worked as a janitor one summer during college. Best job I ever had.

I have not really read this thread, but I tend to agree with this statement.

I'm a lawyer, working for Social Security (Federal). I had a private practice for a while, but did not like it. Now, I deal with applications for disability. Everyone has 'bipolar' disorder nowadays (just an aside).

Back in law school I worked for a bit as a yard worker for the school. I mowed, edged, etc. Very satisfying, in a way. I loved (and still do, with my yard) having everything crisp and clean looking. I also drove a bus for the local retirement home, taking the old folks to football games, shopping, etc. Very nice work.

I read some article recently that talked about how those whom work with their hands generally are more satisfied with their jobs. Plumbers, electricians, etc. People who 'solved' things and saw their work produce results.

Anyway, I can see where a job like 'janitor' would be good. Indeed, at my office I have said 'hello' to a guy for 20 years whose job it is to clean the parking garage. He is a 'hippy' type who loves to listen to music while he sweeps, etc., and he is very happy with his situation.

Life is what you make of it. I believe it was Abraham Lincoln who said "People are as sad as they make up their mind to be". Sad that this CD board is full of angry people who, in my view, are not sure what they are angry about.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:04 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I'm a lawyer, working for Social Security (Federal). I had a private practice for a while, but did not like it. Now, I deal with applications for disability. Everyone has 'bipolar' disorder nowadays (just an aside).

Back in law school I worked for a bit as a yard worker for the school. I mowed, edged, etc. Very satisfying, in a way. I loved (and still do, with my yard) having everything crisp and clean looking. I also drove a bus for the local retirement home, taking the old folks to football games, shopping, etc. Very nice work.

I read some article recently that talked about how those whom work with their hands generally are more satisfied with their jobs. Plumbers, electricians, etc. People who 'solved' things and saw their work produce results.

Anyway, I can see where a job like 'janitor' would be good. Indeed, at my office I have said 'hello' to a guy for 20 years whose job it is to clean the parking garage. He is a 'hippy' type who loves to listen to music while he sweeps, etc., and he is very happy with his situation.

Life is what you make of it. I believe it was Abraham Lincoln who said "People are as sad as they make up their mind to be". Sad that this CD board is full of angry people who, in my view, are not sure what they are angry about.

Could not have said it better. I dream of working at Home Depot! And also love to do yard work and gardening. When I was in college (2nd degree), got a job one summer with a friend picking up rocks for the city. Loved it! We ended up operating the heavy machinery and tractors by summers' end.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I wanted to be an engineer and make things since I was 8 or 10. How things work and putting it together was life.

I eventually acquired the neccessary education and then the right job and did it for another 35 years.

I now sell RE as a retirement job as I no longer have the neccessary drive, hormones or wills.

I can't imagine spending any similar period of time doing what you don't care for.

i really don't know whether to feel sorry for you guys...or incensed. Are you very unlucky or hopelessly stupid.

For goodness sake...do something else. Life is too short.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
IMO, the conservatives on this forum complain the most. Look at the thread titles and the thread starters.
Hahaha. I guarantee that at least 50% of the threads are anti-Tea Party, about a Palin, about Rush, about Beck, or some gay related thread posted by libs.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I wanted to be an engineer and make things since I was 8 or 10. How things work and putting it together was life.

I eventually acquired the neccessary education and then the right job and did it for another 35 years.

I now sell RE as a retirement job as I no longer have the neccessary drive, hormones or wills.

I can't imagine spending any similar period of time doing what you don't care for.

i really don't know whether to feel sorry for you guys...or incensed. Are you very unlucky or hopelessly stupid.

For goodness sake...do something else. Life is too short.
In a way, valid points.

However, life is a road you cannot always control. I became a lawyer, and I now have a certain lifestyle to keep up. We have two houses (weekend home) and family to support. To go back to yardwork as a 'job' would indeed be 'stupid'.

I guess that people like me are just thinking back to when life was more simple, without obligatiions. I am glad that your path has worked out well.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Of course most of the people who rant on this website are lower class. People who are successful are happy and content with their lives for the most part. Furthermore, in order to become successful and maintain that success, they have to work incredibly hard. They don't have time to waste on this forum.

Look at the people who call in to talk radio. These losers wait hours to state their opinion for 30 seconds. What type of person can wait that long on the phone to state an opinion? Do they not have anything better to do? It's the same type of people who post here.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Of course most of the people who rant on this website are lower class. People who are successful are happy and content with their lives for the most part. Furthermore, in order to become successful and maintain that success, they have to work incredibly hard. They don't have time to waste on this forum.

Look at the people who call in to talk radio. These losers wait hours to state their opinion for 30 seconds. What type of person can wait that long on the phone to state an opinion? Do they not have anything better to do? It's the same type of people who post here.

Well said. I have often noted that some of the more 'rabd' posters do so during 'work hours'. I mean, a poster who rails againts 'the government' and posts thousands of postings each year? Not where I work.

I have said again and again: those who post dozens of postings per day, are on 'disability'. They will not work, but by gosh, they can spend hours per day on CD (and, of course, other websites).

Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Hahaha. I guarantee that at least 50% of the threads are anti-Tea Party, about a Palin, about Rush, about Beck, or some gay related thread posted by libs.
Really? See below:

70 threads:

1 sticky
1 Anti-TP
1 Palin
0 Rush
3 Gay threads by liberals

8%

Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Really? See below:
It does not matter what is on the front page, it is the total that have been started that matters, not just the front page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies