Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,206,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Absolute bs. The "real" Tea Party crowd has been drowned out by the sea of ignorance that came along with the 08' election. I can respect the Ron Paul crowd because they understand what they are talking about, but they are definitely in the minority. Seems like the easiest way to fire up the right wing nowadays is with pejoratives like "Obamacare", "Kenyan", "Muslim"... instead of having honest discussions about these issues you speak of.
I think you see it perfectly correct; I call it the Hannitizing & Maklkining of the Tea Party. They love to give "cute" pet names that only those in the know can understand and use them to demonize the other team.

To be fair the left does it also, The Dumbya Bush type of thing. South Park is great and pointing these things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It's pretty funny reading the comments about the tea party from a bunch of confused ill-informed propaganda filled liberals who know nothing about them and have probably never been to a meeting.

As a member of a local Tea Party, I believe it is to our benefit to let the leftist remain ignorant. The Dems we have in our Tea Party have retained their own brain and came to meetings to see for themselves. These are the type of members we want. We do not always agree on everything, yet have some key common goals.
This is part of the problem, most on the left are not ignorant or dumb, they just respond negatively to people who are condescending and who word their goals in a negative fasion. As I like to say, it is not what we say but what other "hear".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 12:25 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,084,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I think you see it perfectly correct; I call it the Hannitizing & Maklkining of the Tea Party. They love to give "cute" pet names that only those in the know can understand and use them to demonize the other team.

To be fair the left does it also, The Dumbya Bush type of thing. South Park is great and pointing these things out.

This is part of the problem, most on the left are not ignorant or dumb, they just respond negatively to people who are condescending and who word their goals in a negative fasion. As I like to say, it is not what we say but what other "hear".

I guess you didn't read your own post

The leftist do not seek information they are fed false information and they eat it up. Our Tea Party likes Democrats that have retained their own minds and seek truth by finding out for themselves. No sheeple allowed.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM

76 posts, read 45,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well, I appreciate the Tea Party folks as much as I appreciate the folks at Code Pink and the former anti-war movement. I rather enjoy Americans who are passionate enough to take to the streets, even if I wholly disagree with them, it is part of what makes us a pretty durn fine nation.

However, I admit frustration in that the Tea Party movement was first wrought by Ron Paul supporters who are more Libertarian and generally anti-empire/ less interventionist, but ended up being hijacked by establishment forces within the GOP. Such is life, it is the dirty business of politics and if I were in their shoes, I'd do the same damn thing.

Tea Party as it stands now and as I see it, is a mish mash of paleoconservatism, social conservatism and fiscal conservatism that is trying to be controlled by establishment conservatism, which is essentially neoconservatism.

There are some awesome aspects of the Tea Party, and there are some horrendous aspects of the Tea Party and to be honest, they shouldn't even be considered in the same box, but such is politics and those transformational periods between elections.

My personal belief is that the Tea Party is a tempest in a tea cup, and the good parts of the Tea Party will lumped in with the bad and by and large the entire movement will die within an election cycle.

The "Tea Party" is in fact several factions within a same group trying to wrestle power and influence, but it gets considered as "one thing" unfairly, but such is politics today where everything has only one of two conclusions, this or that. Absolutism and we all lose because we define things in such terms.
There is nothing to add or alter to this post. Excellent dissection of the TEA party.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:08 PM

76 posts, read 45,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Because the last administration the Tea Party consisted of basically just Ron Paul standing on a stage with his peers complaining about debt, deficit spending and the cost of our wars abroad. He was treated with great disdain and pushed aside. So in short, he was.
Hopefully he will not be for much longer if there is any hope for improvement to our Republic.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,039,966 times
As a liberal who's views make the "liberals" in the Senate/White House look conservative, my disagreement with the Tea Party stems from disagreeing with their political agenda.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,324,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
As a liberal who's views make the "liberals" in the Senate/White House look conservative, my disagreement with the Tea Party stems from disagreeing with their political agenda.
What is the agenda???

Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,206,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I guess you didn't read your own post

The leftist do not seek information they are fed false information and they eat it up. Our Tea Party likes Democrats that have retained their own minds and seek truth by finding out for themselves. No sheeple allowed.
So you met or know EVERY leftist in the nation? Interesting. Some do as you say, some have very heartfelt and researched reasons for why they believe what they do. Often they have just not been exposed to people espousing freedom in a way that appeals to them. I have had great luck wit people on the left, one I am not condescending and I don’t assume they are “sheeple.”

There are various ways people communicate and if you are trying to use the way that appeals to you, it will turn off many others.

I was part of a group teaching how not to do liberty outreach, as you can see what you “say” may not be what some people “hear”.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=056C4wM9niQ

Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What is the agenda???
Wars that never end
Authoritarian social agenda
Policies that continue to shift more wealth to the wealthy
Corporatocracy

Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,462,390 times
My issue is: Where have all these people (besides Ron Paul) been during the enactment of the Patriot Act or the spending on the wars etc.?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,084,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
My issue is: Where have all these people (besides Ron Paul) been during the enactment of the Patriot Act or the spending on the wars etc.?

That just so happens to be some of the very things that woke them up. A movement does not happen overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies