Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,139,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqj5DeIZNdg

I had a feeling this would be the way they ruled.
That may be good TG but it seems like our national government has told us that judges sometimes don't make legal decisions. I am referring to the US District Court judge who declared the US government to be in contempt of court because he had said it acted unconstitutionally when it stopped exploratory drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico. After he mad his ruling the Interior Department issued the same order good for 7 years. Surely if the government can get by with this cops can do what this one said they can't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,374,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Give too much power to the wrong people and bad things can and do happen

Case in point:

All the bullies in school, wound up being cops .
Point well taken BentBow; and in every line of work!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:40 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,455,745 times
I hate to nitpick, but I didn't hear the word "judge" used anywhere in that link, nor any reference to any kind of trial. All I heard is that the Atlanta PD must pay damages, without any indication of how that decision was arrived at or by whom.

But, be that as it may, before you go out and start filming cops in the performance of their duty, you should know that whether or not you can do that legally varies from state to state. In some states, you can. In others, you cannot. In about 8 or 10 states, you must first obtain the consent of every party before filming.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,358,101 times
Its nice, it seems on this thread we all agree; Including me.

Film away!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,179,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That may be good TG but it seems like our national government has told us that judges sometimes don't make legal decisions. I am referring to the US District Court judge who declared the US government to be in contempt of court because he had said it acted unconstitutionally when it stopped exploratory drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico. After he mad his ruling the Interior Department issued the same order good for 7 years. Surely if the government can get by with this cops can do what this one said they can't do.
The sad thing is that from what little I know, the penalty for contempt is a fine or jail. If it is a fine, it will be we the people who pay it and if it is jail, who will go, the POTUS? I hope that it is being followed up on and taken to a higher court. If the government can just continue to do as it pleases it does not bode well for our system.

This would be a good thread topic for debate ROB if it has not already been done.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,468,160 times
The greatest sign of a terrible government is when the watchers can not be watched.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 AM

76 posts, read 44,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I'm a tad skeptical. Did you mean to say weight lifting supplements? Steroids are still kind of illegal. Have a link?
Magazine for N.J. law enforcement contains ads for anabolic steroid providers | NJ.com

Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,468,160 times
So they did advertise steroids and were quickly shut down. The investigation continues........

I know lots of cops use steroids, I just didn't believe that there were advertisements in their magazines. You found one though it was a fluke.

You win. Sort of.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 PM

23,475 posts, read 23,810,518 times
Wow, lots of anti-LEO bigotry in this thread, as well as plenty of stereotypes and outright falsehoods. You guys must not lead very enjoyable lives with all that hate built up inside of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies