Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve of public school prayers?
Yes 17 18.68%
No 67 73.63%
Maybe, Depends 7 7.69%
Don't know 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
65% of Americans Favor Prayer in Public Schools - Rasmussen Reports™

How do you feel about public school prayers? As most of you know, school prayers were declared unconstitutional back in 1962 and there have been attempts to bring it back. I honestly would support bringing it back.
Why do you need prayer in school?

Are you still in school?

Is your faith so weak you need extra time?

WHOSE prayers? Mine? Yours? Muslims?

So what christian parents are saying is that they do such a poor job of raising their children as good christians they need to pray at school, too?

They need teachers to take care of their children's spiritual needs, too!!???

How about this:

Churches PAY TAXES...and THEN you can pray in school !!

Right now I pay taxes and don't want kids wasting their time praying when they're supposed to be learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,287 times
Quote:

How do you feel about public school prayers? As most of you know, school prayers were declared unconstitutional back in 1962 and there have been attempts to bring it back. I honestly would support bringing it back.
Cool, I think our kids should all meditate with Buddha daily, how is 9 am for you?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
That "privately owned building" is no doubt leased public land which the Utah state government leased for a song. What do you want to bet the politically connected cult got a sweetheart deal which amounted to nothing more then a subsidy from the government to a private religious group?
You are no doubt full of it. The LDS Church owns the land on which all of their seminary buildings are built.

As a wise man once said: "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." You really ought to consider taking this advice.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
They used to make the school boundaries based on the Wards (church districts) but they had to stop that in the 80's because it was unconstitutional.
The 80's? It was actually the 90's. The 1890's. Nice try, though.

Between 1870 and 1890, there were 15 different school districts in Salt Lake City, and they corresponded to ward (congregational) boundaries. The State of Utah passed the Free Public School Act in 1890 when a group of non-LDS territorial legislative leaders went to Washington to discuss federalization of the state's school system.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-15-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
And we have a Supreme Court that will shoot it down (or should if they abided by the constitution)...

I want Muslim prayers in the school if they're going to do that.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:

I prayed a lot during school, especially before tests, and it didn't matter at all to me that it was unconstitutional. I see no need to reinstate prayers in our schools. I believe in the separation of church and state.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,494 times
(seems this post mysteriously vanished without explanation, so I'll have to re-post it from memory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
It would not bother me one bit if there was a
public school prayer
Right, as long as it is Christian based prayer, right? I'm betting that prayers to Allah, Buddha, Zeus, Baal, or The Goddess would bother you quite a bit..

Quote:
but it would cause nothing but problems..
Yes it would. That's why we have separation of church and state.

Quote:
next thing would be some parent would complain and ask that their kids be not inculded and the prayer would be voluntary..
Yes because everyone should happily surrender their children to being indoctrinated into whatever religious beliefs their teachers desire.

Quote:
Muslim's would ask to have sanctioned prayer time just like christians.
I guess that answers my first question. Yes, heaven forbid that any other belief have equal time with Christianity. I mean, after all this IS a Christian nation, founded on The Bible and "Christian principles" and as such, Christians deserve a privileged position in society and exclusive rights to our classrooms and government.

(for the record, the USA was founded as a secular republic under the principles of The Enlightenment and pagan Greece and Rome, by men who were primarily Deists.)

Quote:
Then who knows, probably sanctioned religious areas of school where kids can go pray..
You mean like those Taliban run schools?

Quote:
This is not the same USA that existed in the 60's..
Thank goodness

Quote:
We have dived head first into the multicuralism experiment.
Indeed we did - around 1776 or so. That's what this country is all about, dear. We are the melting pot of the world. The poem on the statue of Liberty states "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. It doesn't say "welcome to America! Check your religion and culture at the door".

Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I prayed a lot during school, especially before tests, and it didn't matter at all to me that it was unconstitutional.
That's because it wasn't. It would have been, if your teacher led you in prayer before your test.

Quote:
I see no need to reinstate prayers in our schools. I believe in the separation of church and state.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The 80's? It was actually the 90's. The 1890's. Nice try, though.

Between 1870 and 1890, there were 15 different school districts in Salt Lake City, and they corresponded to ward (congregational) boundaries. The State of Utah passed the Free Public School Act in 1890 when a group of non-LDS territorial legislative leaders went to Washington to discuss federalization of the state's school system.
Sorry but this comes from REAL life experience that occured 1980 in West Bountiful. I can only say what I was told by people who LOVED living there. When they told me they had no animosity towards Utah regarding the experience and stated it as matter of fact. Like when Halloween falls on a Sunday mormon kids trick or treat on Saturday. Just another fact I was told.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Like others have said, I'm not sure what the poll is actually asking. Anyone can pray in public school now, it's not a problem at all. But I guess what most people are thinking is a all encompasing group prayer led by someone while all the kids bow their heads? Haha, no way.

Christians would hate that too but many don't stop to think about it and figure out WHY. Pity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies