Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I've actually had that happen though--had the cashier ring up too many items on the register, and didn't catch it until I checked the receipt. That's one reason why I don't mind the receipt checkers at Sam's--they catch mistakes as well as shoplifters.
The only thing they look at at the local walmart are big ticket items. But one of the classics of employee theft is the checker "misses" things but rings up enough it looks genuine. All those items that go out the door are paid for by the public. I'd rather stop and have them check. I've also had items not in sacks forgotten to be put back in the basket at the checkstand which were caught.

I'm sure it also depends on the area. Every store in socal has a theft detector to walk through. Nobody has one here in my new little town. The Walmarts there, along with any large store selling electronics, checks for a receipt on large cost items. But theft is a far bigger problem.

If the store thinks your shoplifting, the greeter won't be the one to check, but it will be someone waiting just outside the door. Then you have left the store and legally stolen the merchandise. The systems are not intended for quite the same reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
You're still on their property. If they need to make sure you got all of your items, didn't over charge you, or double charged you for something, that is their right to do.

When you enter their place of business, you are agreeing that you will pay for items that you bring to the register

As a business, they agree that you are leaving with the items you have purchased, made sure you GOT all of your items, and checking to see if there are no discrepancies in the items you have purchased.

Again, over reacting much?

It takes all of 3 seconds for the receipt checker at the door to look at your items

Have only 1 bag, they could care less and you can simply walk out.

They are there for those who have many item, or are taking out big items.

I've seen shoplifters shove a watermelon between their legs and try to walk out with it.

Nice threat there. Those workers do not deserve this kind of smug entitled attitude that you have. If you don't like having your receipt checked, do us all a favor and not shop at those stores that do it. You'll save that worker a lot of grief that they don't deserve.

I don't look at those workers with disdain like you must do, and just say "thank you" on my way out. A little kindness goes a long way.
I have a friend who has a cc permit and usually carries. He would be ashamed of this poster. When he explained about the cc permit he explained that it is strictly controlled and only under justifyable use can it be fired. Stuff like this makes those who carry legally and understand the rules look bad.

But to clerks. The greeter at Walmart does not make policy. Nor does the clerk who tells you they need a reciept for a return. Making a scene will not help you, just make you look like an idiot, like the ex bf of mine who got thrown out of several stores because he wouldn't stop yelling at the clerk who could not take a return without a manager,and there wasn't one around.

For those who lose it when they don't get their way. Make your complaint to the manager when the manager is around if you don't like store policy. The guy behind the counter is told how to do it and your ruining his day is not going to get you anywhere. If your reward is getting a lot of attention then remember that most of it is from people who hope to never see you again.

Protesting policy is fine, but to someone who has the authority to perhaps do something about it, not a minimum wage clerk.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would not waste my time trying to explain. Apparently there are some who relish being obsequious to others. Like Obama.

You've explained. It's your opinion. The facts and the law say they have no right to detain you.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:13 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
I usually say "Sign my hall pass" as I walk out. It's usually good for a chuckle. Honestly though...if you shop there often, why tick off the people that work there? They're just doing their job.

What annoys me is when I walk into Sam's Club the chick wants to see my card. I have to have the dang thing to pay...I don't understand why they make me get it out when I walk in.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
I don't stop at any store exit to be searched. The clerk bagged my purchase. I paid with my cash/credit card. Unless I'm a suspect in a crime, they've no grounds to search me. I walk right past the line of cow'd citizens and go about my business.

If they want to tackle me outside the store then so be it. I'll be livin' large afterwards.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
When I go grocery shopping {Wal*Mart}, my cart is usually overflowing. I only go about once every 3 weeks. I HATE to shop.

Anyway, if they ever stopped me at the door to check my receipt against what is in my cart, it would take a good 15 minutes or more to check everything. I would be very upset, to say the least.

If I had ice cream, I would make them run to get me another one.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Once I pay for something, it's mine. Attempting to stop me and search me is a violation of my rights. Period. I won't tolerate it. It's also an insult and an accusation that you are stealing. Not a way to run a business.

Oddly enough though, no one's ever pushed the issue with me, yet. I also tend to open carry.

Some people are way to willing to give up their rights.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
for freaks sake, you guys are over reacting They aren't stopping you, you could be walking as they check you.

and its FOR 2 freaking seconds. I've never spent any longer than that with a checker, even with a FULL cart of items that I've paid for

Why do you inconsiderate **** want to make it harder for the worker? Its not their fault that the policy of the store has them standing there to check to make sure YOU have your crap that you just paid for.

Again, most of the time they are just making sure YOU have your items that you paid for.

If it was a shoplifting case, the checker isn't the one that is going to stop you. Its three loss prevention people waiting outside as you exit the store.

You're not giving up any rights . You are on private property, and until you leave that property, you are subject to their rules, policies and the state law concerning private property rights. Act stupid they can boot your ##@# to the curb.

Holy damn its like all of you think its the freaking end of the world and you have to rush to get wherre you are going. If you are in a rush, that is your own damn fault.

Its amazing how many of you guys feel entitled and are inconsiderate.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I show my receipt at the membership only discount store where I am a member. The requirement was pointed out before I joined. That is a contract between me and the store and I honor my part in a contract.

If I were asked to show a receipt at ANY store I was not associated with I would ask to not be detained or be directly accused of shoplifting. If the latter and no proof were provided I would find a greedy lawyer and sue for defamation.

I am in no way obligated to follow a set of rules outside or in addition to the law if I do not agree to do so. If some store tells me to present my ID and a receipt before I can leave I will not enter or I will enter conduct my business and just leave. Private rules outside of a contract do not apply. I am annoyed enough by the corporate control of our government and I will not tolerate corporate control of me or of any false accusation. I am their customer, not their slave.
I am in complete agreement. Well said.

Before becoming a Costco member I was made aware of the conditions of my membership contract. I demonstrated my agreement with that contract by paying membership fees. Therefore, I am obligated to abide by those conditions.

Stores that are open to the public have made no such contract with me. They are offering goods for sale to the general public at a specified price. If I pay the price they specify the product is no longer the property of the store, and they cannot impose additional conditions on me or my property once the purchase has been made.

If they impose any conditions on purchasing a product, beyond the specified price, then they require my consent to those conditions in advance, before any purchase is made. In other words, the store is for members only. If they are open to the general public, then there can be no additional conditions to the purchase of a product, beyond the specified price, because there is no agreement to those conditions before the purchase is made.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
for freaks sake, you guys are over reacting They aren't stopping you, you could be walking as they check you.

and its FOR 2 freaking seconds. I've never spent any longer than that with a checker, even with a FULL cart of items that I've paid for

Why do you inconsiderate **** want to make it harder for the worker? Its not their fault that the policy of the store has them standing there to check to make sure YOU have your crap that you just paid for.

Again, most of the time they are just making sure YOU have your items that you paid for.

If it was a shoplifting case, the checker isn't the one that is going to stop you. Its three loss prevention people waiting outside as you exit the store.

You're not giving up any rights . You are on private property, and until you leave that property, you are subject to their rules, policies and the state law concerning private property rights. Act stupid they can boot your ##@# to the curb.

Holy damn its like all of you think its the freaking end of the world and you have to rush to get wherre you are going. If you are in a rush, that is your own damn fault.

Its amazing how many of you guys feel entitled and are inconsiderate.

I have never been stopped for a receipt check, so maybe I am missing something.

If I have 30 bags of groceries in my cart, how are they going to take everything back out of the bags and rescan them to check the receipt, in a few seconds? I went shopping yesterday, I had 94 items in my cart.

Wouldn't they literally need to take my cart to a vacant checkout lane so they could take everything out of the bags, scan them, put them back in bags, and into another cart? That would take longer than it did for me to check out in the first place. That would be quite an inconvenience, IMHO.

After an experience like that, I would at least expect them to give me a coupon for $5 off on my next shopping trip.

I stood in line once already, in full sight of their employees, with security cameras trained on me.....shouldn't that be enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies