Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The rich wouldn't be rich if it weren't for the country they lived in. Taxes are their way of saying thank you.
The rich wouldn't be rich if they didn't work hard, take risks and invest back in their businesses.

I know, I know....the rich inherited their wealth......

That is a very small portion of the wealthy.

And those people spend money.

Which create jobs.

Which brings up another point.

When we talk about the rich creating jobs, it's not that they get a tax break and open a business. Some do. Some hire more labor. Some purchase new equipment.

They spend the extra money. On cars. On travel. On luxury items. At restaurants. Etc, etc.

Anyway, who can say how much is too much?

People on foot envy the people with a car. The person with a basic car envy the person with an upgraded car, who envy those with luxury cars, who envy those with Lear Jets.

It can't be argued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times
Jet you always talk 'to me' as if i don't believe you, or are you doing something else?

That mirror thing. I sure have been duped, no question about it. I am the enemy you say I am, and working on doing things to not be it any more. I quite perfer that status of being a sovereign person as I ain't subject to much.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 PM

4,530 posts, read 4,076,373 times
Why tax the rich?

Because they don't give a crap about you. They'll replace you with something or someone who will work cheaper the instant it is possible.

Why should you give a crap about them??

We were told they needed the Bush tax cuts so they could create jobs. They've had a few months, where are the jobs??? (I know, they're with Saddam'sWMDs )

If the policies of tax cuts really did benefit the country as a whole, I'd agree with them. However 30 years after that idiot actor started cutting taxes on the rich, our debt has shot up, and those on the bottom have seen no benefits while having to work just as hard, if not harder.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Why tax the rich?

Because they don't give a crap about you. They'll replace you with something or someone who will work cheaper the instant it is possible.

We were told they needed the Bush tax cuts so they could create jobs. They've had a few months, where are the jobs??? (I know, they're with Saddam'sWMDs )

If the policies of tax cuts really did benefit the country as a whole, I'd agree with them. However 30 years after that idiot actor started cutting taxes on the rich, our debt has shot up, and those on the bottom have seen no benefits while having to work just as hard, if not harder.
Wow.

You are really bitter!

I'd hate to be your boss.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The rich wouldn't be rich if they didn't work hard, take risks and invest back in their businesses.

I know, I know....the rich inherited their wealth......

That is a very small portion of the wealthy.

And those people spend money.

Which create jobs.

Which brings up another point.

When we talk about the rich creating jobs, it's not that they get a tax break and open a business. Some do. Some hire more labor. Some purchase new equipment.

They spend the extra money. On cars. On travel. On luxury items. At restaurants. Etc, etc.

Anyway, who can say how much is too much?

People on foot envy the people with a car. The person with a basic car envy the person with an upgraded car, who envy those with luxury cars, who envy those with Lear Jets.

It can't be argued.

If the rich inherited their wealth, then it seems to me the taxes were paid on that anyway, That nasty little estate tax, then the nasty little inheritance tax, How many taxes must be spent before the in theory money is yours?

When gramps passed the govt came and took 1/2, when his wife died the govt gcame and took another 1/2, with 3 daughters he left to there wasn't much left but when my elder aunt died the govt came and took half. My mother and aunt are still living, but when they go the govt will come and take 1/2 from each.

If i get anything, the govt will tax that, but that might be 50 cents of junk coinage by the time that happens.

I am not sure I need 50 cents. Today 50 cents is worth 1/2 cents of silver, maybe 1/2 gram.... I don't need that either.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM

18,927 posts, read 14,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Jet you always talk 'to me' as if i don't believe you, or are you doing something else?
My apologies. Out of habit, I write impersonal replies and you refers to the plural "you".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That mirror thing. I sure have been duped, no question about it. I am the enemy you say I am, and working on doing things to not be it any more. I quite perfer that status of being a sovereign person as I ain't subject to much.
WHOOPS - don't use the term "person" to describe a sovereign.
“A Sovereign cannot be named in any statute as merely a ‘person’ or ‘any person’”.
Wills v. Michigan State Police, 105 L.Ed. 45 (1989)

“In common usage, the term ‘person’ does not include the sovereign, [and] statutes employing the [word] are ordinarily construed to exclude it.”
Wilson v. Omaha Indian Tribe, 442 U.S. 653, 667, 61 L.Ed2. 153, 99 S.Ct. 2529 (1979)
(quoting United States v. Cooper Corp. 312 U.S. 600, 604, 85 L.Ed. 1071, 61 S.Ct. 742 (1941)).

Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 PM

Threads like this prove that people on the left are more envious than those on the right.

Liberal thought pattern....I'm broke, who will help me?

Conservative thought pattern....I'm broke, I better get off my azz and work harder.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM

Dam Jet I was seeking any other word than citizen..... Oops! yer good with me.

Alpha yeah you got that right. I was working sunday dec 31st and broke my pinky finger and bruise knuckes that still hurt, and lost a lot of time with no workers comp and no nuthin. That hurt and now as i can slowly use my hand again I gotta hump it out triple time, and old rusted solid machinery don't get faster.

It means longer hours to just catch up. More parts to make because the old ones can't be used after I cut them with torches and beat them with impact hammers. Hell the shop isn't even heated for the costs of fuel.

I don't see any lefties coming to assist. In this time not one lefty offered me a dime. Why should I care if they eat or not? Probably this year for this accident I won't cut the black. I can't make up time lost. Not any 6 weeks and on going to maybe 8.

One things sure taxes will arrive on time.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Besides repeating tired myths about taxing the rich ....why don't you try giving us some data that says taxing the rich is counter productive.?...That it will bring in less money?
what happened when the clinton administration raised taxes? thats right the economy continued to remain slow UNTIL the dotcom bubble started to build up. when the dotcom bubble burst, the economy slowed down again. why? because the rich put their money away where the government could not get to it.

Quote:
Show us where all these rich people, you have such sympathy for, left the country to a significant degree?

You can't do that because it's a right wing myth.
you fail at reading comprehension. i never said the rich left the country, i said they moved their MONEY out of the country. id DID say however that the rich in california, new york, and other high tax STATES, moved to states with LOWER taxes. every time taxes are raised on the rich in one form or another, the economy suffers. for instance when the feds instituted a luxury tax on boats that cost over a certain price, i forget the price point, sales on luxury yachts in the US crashed, and many US boat builders went out of business. why? because foreign yacht builders didnt have to charge the luxury tax, so the rich took their business overseas.

the rich for the most part dont buy luxury cars anymore, they lease them because the tax rate is far more favorable to lease instead of buying. if you raise the cost of doing business, prices go up, that is economics 101. raise taxes on the rich, and you increase the cost of doing business, and as such prices go up, and the very people you purport to want to help are the ones that get hurt the most, not the rich. you have to look at the cause and effect of every move the government makes regarding taxes and regulations. too many of either or both, and business in this country suffers, and as such the low and middle class pay out the nose, where as the rich just adjust their lifestyle and spending habits and go on with life.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,189,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
But if we don't increase taxes the deficit would be higher than if we did.

No, it's not a governmental conspiracy. The government is not trying to own everything.
You do know that by taxing the high income earners you guarantee the wealthy elite will never need to worry about upstart competition taking market share, you understand that right?

Do you really think Warren Buffet wants to tax someone making $250k a year because he thinks it will help the economy? No, the more that is taken from small upstarts, the less they can invest in their business and become the Buffet of the future, or just offer a viable alternative to his businesses. He also says tax them while most of his income is tax free, the increase will hardly touch him.

Another issue is one that has hurt us twice in the last 10 years, the high income earners tend to be transient, meaning that many “rich” people make a high income once or twice in their life due to a stock option sale, business or property sale. When you take a big chunk of that you are taking form the middle, who now can reinvest in something productive. If most of our revenue comes from the top, what happens every few years when the number of "rich" drops by 20-30%. Look at our current for a good example and California in 2002.

I would think that you would get all upset with the people who have wealth due to gaming the system, not working hard and taking risk for decades. Land owners, people who own mineral rights etc. all receive protection from the government for free. Plus the banking system guarantees we will run up a national debt.

Do yourself and the future a favor, stop focusing on what people earn and look to what free monopolies people and companies receive from the government. The elite love every left right battle we fight, it ees them in ower. A few reforms would change the world, but most people spend their lives focused on pep rally team topics.

You are being conned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Why tax the rich?

Again if 100% tax won't raise the money, 10% won't either, time for a new playbook.

You are being conned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies