U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,705 posts, read 33,718,482 times
Reputation: 51957

Advertisements

"The federal government is hitting the gas on incentive programs meant to prop up the electric car market, raising questions about whether it's appropriate for Washington to continue subsidizing an industry it's already invested in heavily."

But let's forget money for a minute, I wanted to see how long it would take me to do one of my annual vacation driving trips in an electric car.

It's a 14 hour drive and 819 miles (per Mapquest) without counting 15 minute gas and rest stop breaks (they aren't in the same place on most of the trip). Normally, I break it into a 2 day trip since I'm the sole driver. One way trip I might stop 6 times on the road not counting the one overnight.

"The Nissan LEAF, for instance, takes six to eight hours to charge and has a range of about 100 miles."

Federal Government Charges Up Electric Car Market - FoxNews.com

This means on an 819 mile driving trip, not counting the initial charge, I would have to stop for a charge 8x to get to my destination in a Leaf. At 6 - 8 hours to charge (I'll use 7 hours), that's about a 14 hr normal drive (includes pit stops) plus 56 hours to charge my imaginary Leaf to get to my destination making my normal 2 day trip a 70 hour trip. Then, I would have to waste another 70 hours to get home. Now, I'm retired but what working person has 140 hours to spare just getting to and from a vacation destination? The time of 70 hours means I'd have to pay for more overnights in places, too.

But forget about me for a minute, a 150 mile round trip daytrip is no big deal now, right? I mean, everybody does a 75 mile day trip to a destination more frequently than a longer annual trip. How much time could you spend at your day trip destination if you had to include a 7 hour charge? Let's say you left your car at the charging station while you visited with a relative. How do you get back and forth to the charging station?

And I didn't touch on cost. Didn't Obama say under his plan of cap and trade, electricty costs would necessarily skyrocket?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimIjwWHZfM

"If the local utility company has its way, drivers will get a deal -- a $25 flat fee for six months of unlimited charging. The idea is to serve electric car owners, while making prospective buyers comfortable with the technology, potentially inspiring them to buy an electric vehicle of their own."

Does this not remind you of the Internet deal you got when you fist signed up for it?

Also, I have to use those crappy energy saving light bulbs while you are hooked up to a charger for 7 hours at a pop?

The article, by the way, is really about taxpayers throwing away their money by subsidizing something that the government is pushing out too early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:21 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,199 posts, read 41,033,815 times
Reputation: 29935
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The article, by the way, is really about taxpayers throwing away their money by subsidizing something that the government is pushing out too early.


Too early? The gas shortages of the '70s didn't warn us that doing anything we can to reduce dependence on foreign oil would be a good thing?

The 1903 Wright Flyer wasn't exactly a great cross-country macine but does that mean we should have stopped developing the concept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM
 
1,432 posts, read 917,863 times
Reputation: 333
I will wait until - prices are dropped on cars, charging stations exist like regular gas stations, mileage capabiliittes are at least 500 miles.....oops, guess that means i will be in my sports car that uses gas for the rest of my life....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 AM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,345,435 times
Reputation: 13682
Anyone remember the first portable PCs. We used to refer to them - jokingly - as sewing machines because they were about the same size but heavier. They weren't portable but luggable. And yet, 20 years on ................

I also remember the first digital cameras ... the type you would push a diskette into. People said they would never catch on. They were too bulky and the quality wasn't great.

Are electric cars too early? I don't know that any of us can say that with any certainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 AM
 
1,652 posts, read 2,887,047 times
Reputation: 507
This is not a waste of money... it's a push to stop our dependency on foreign oil that props up dictators in the Middle East and fuels terrorism... the result of which is two current wars, explosive unrest in the Middle East and the ostracization of Israel. if you don't think that's worth investing in, what is? Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 AM
 
Location: PA
5,560 posts, read 4,979,570 times
Reputation: 1945
Remove all federal gas tax and regulations on gas.. and lets see if we move to electric cars. They cant even keep our highways from failing apart and they want to spend money on electric cars. Let alone spend that money on foreign aid and building bridges from the ones we blew up in IRAQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 AM
 
29,785 posts, read 16,467,363 times
Reputation: 13843
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
This is not a waste of money... it's a push to stop our dependency on foreign oil that props up dictators in the Middle East and fuels terrorism... the result of which is two current wars, explosive unrest in the Middle East and the ostracization of Israel. if you don't think that's worth investing in, what is? Give me a break.
Well it's not for the federal government to decide in the first place but...
Lifitng restrictions on drilling permits and refinieres would accomplish this task and not contribute to the debt crisis.
Your argunent is seriously flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM
 
1,652 posts, read 2,887,047 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well it's not for the federal government to decide in the first place but...
Lifitng restrictions on drilling permits and refinieres would accomplish this task and not contribute to the debt crisis.
Your argunent is seriously flawed.
It's not in the interest of the federal government to promote policies that will lead to a more stable foreign policy and also help to reverse global warming? What brand of political philosophy are you espousing? And, no, lifting restrictions on drilling, offshore or elsewhere, will in no way accomplish the task of ridding the dependency on foreign oil... and it of course does nothing to address global warming.

And the debt crisis is not being fueled by incentives on electric cars... it's being fueled by the Big 4 programs... hopefully Obama's challenge to Congress to deal with the Big 4 will yield positive reforms in the coming months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,492 posts, read 51,418,971 times
Reputation: 24613
Electric cars are not intended for cross country vacations. Buick Roadmaster wagons are. I will look at electric cars in a few years for driving to the park & ride and back or, if I am no longer commuting, for local driving. For longer trips hybrids make more sense.

In any case this is a legitimate area for government support because it will eventually cut our oil imports. This is why we barely support the development of these cars. The oil industry owns our government and hates to see their monopoly threatened.

PS at least the tax money is being wasted here instead of rag head land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,143 posts, read 19,212,032 times
Reputation: 14007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"The federal government is hitting the gas on incentive programs meant to prop up the electric car market, raising questions about whether it's appropriate for Washington to continue subsidizing an industry it's already invested in heavily."

But let's forget money for a minute, I wanted to see how long it would take me to do one of my annual vacation driving trips in an electric car.

It's a 14 hour drive and 819 miles (per Mapquest) without counting 15 minute gas and rest stop breaks (they aren't in the same place on most of the trip). Normally, I break it into a 2 day trip since I'm the sole driver. One way trip I might stop 6 times on the road not counting the one overnight.

"The Nissan LEAF, for instance, takes six to eight hours to charge and has a range of about 100 miles."

Federal Government Charges Up Electric Car Market - FoxNews.com

This means on an 819 mile driving trip, not counting the initial charge, I would have to stop for a charge 8x to get to my destination in a Leaf. At 6 - 8 hours to charge (I'll use 7 hours), that's about a 14 hr normal drive (includes pit stops) plus 56 hours to charge my imaginary Leaf to get to my destination making my normal 2 day trip a 70 hour trip. Then, I would have to waste another 70 hours to get home. Now, I'm retired but what working person has 140 hours to spare just getting to and from a vacation destination? The time of 70 hours means I'd have to pay for more overnights in places, too.

But forget about me for a minute, a 150 mile round trip daytrip is no big deal now, right? I mean, everybody does a 75 mile day trip to a destination more frequently than a longer annual trip. How much time could you spend at your day trip destination if you had to include a 7 hour charge? Let's say you left your car at the charging station while you visited with a relative. How do you get back and forth to the charging station?

And I didn't touch on cost. Didn't Obama say under his plan of cap and trade, electricty costs would necessarily skyrocket?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimIjwWHZfM

"If the local utility company has its way, drivers will get a deal -- a $25 flat fee for six months of unlimited charging. The idea is to serve electric car owners, while making prospective buyers comfortable with the technology, potentially inspiring them to buy an electric vehicle of their own."

Does this not remind you of the Internet deal you got when you fist signed up for it?

Also, I have to use those crappy energy saving light bulbs while you are hooked up to a charger for 7 hours at a pop?

The article, by the way, is really about taxpayers throwing away their money by subsidizing something that the government is pushing out too early.
Oil is over 100.00 a barrel right now, Saudi reserves are as much as 40% overstated, world oil production had stayed flat since 2006 (http://www.eia.doe.gov/aer/txt/ptb1105.html) despite huge increases in world demand and you are saying it's too early?!

It's true that electric cars are inadequate to replace gasoline powered cars, (the current electric grid couldn't even support it) but there is no other choice. There are no other semi-practical long-term alternatives. Oil is a finite resource and we are running low...we are at the tipping point and our civilization will either rise or fall depending on how we weather the fallout. The next 20 years are gonna be VERY interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:17 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top