Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM

8,587 posts, read 9,081,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It would be fairly easy to look at actuary tables and see who has gotten more from social security than they put in (plus interest), then *snip*. Cut them off. Anything over and above what you've put in plus interest is a HANDOUT. It needs to end. Now.
It's called insurance. I'll say it again, the fed owes SS 4 trillion dollars. Suppose you apply the same thing to your tired UnitedHealthCare insurance. Got a hang nail--covered with deductible and copay. Got a heart attack---sorry you didn't pay enough through the years, go die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

31,767 posts, read 28,749,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
As with most gov't programs the original intent has been taken over by politicians and they keep expanding it until it no longer is viable.

SSI and Medicade are wrought with fraud and abuses. Tighten them up and there is enough money to take care of those that the original plans intended them for.
You left Medicare out. I am assuming you simply missed it. Do you think it was a step in the right direction when the Health Care Reform touched an aspect of reducing Medicare costs?

78,866 posts, read 46,432,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Part of being a leader is to get people to do things they don't want to do for the improvement of the country, state, or whatever.

100% of my kids do not want vegetables, but sugary sweets. Should I listen to them? Would it help them to feed them according to their desires?

No, you take all the sugar sweet stuff and hide it or eat it all yourself.

Then when they won't eat the veggies, they can cry and scream they are hungry with broccoli and cheese sitting in front of them.

They will eat it, or try it, if they are hungry enough.

My daughter is not picky at all. Now at 13, she could be a chef.

She went days without any thing to eat once, because she was being picky and didn't want what we had fixed. Yes 3 days in a row.(she got school lunch and breakfast, but dinner she starved for 3 nights.

It has never happened again.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 PM

45,336 posts, read 26,914,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
So let me get this straight, after a working Americans pay SS tax (FICA) all their working lives they then have to become fiscally responsible, make the claim Medicare and social security is a sacred cow and refuse to except what they paid for for decades. I see. Lets just hand another 2.2 Trillion dollars over to Wall Street while we are at it and forget the fact the Fed owns SS 4 trillion dollars that belong to working Americans....real workers.
No one said anything about Wall Street.

As far as SS, I would propose to incrementally decrease the tax to some point in the future where it would be zero. You still get payouts, but it would slowly decrease to get people accustomed to saving on their own.

SS is a Ponzi scheme. The money is not sitting anywhere. They spend the money set aside for SS and payout SS money as part of a general budget item as it comes in. Just my guess.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:58 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,068,231 times
Quote:
Not specifically speaking of foreign policy here. There are times in OUR benefit we must might. There are times we need to back off. Each instance is different and should be handled in accordance to how it benefits America.

I am just referring to entitlements here - specifically government pensions.
Yea, but you didn't just say entitlements. You went back to the Founding Fathers and taking care of Americans in general. And i reject your view wholeheatedly.

As for your statement on foreign policy, i really don't know what you're talking about.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No, you take all the sugar sweet stuff and hide it or eat it all yourself.

Then when they won't eat the veggies, they can cry and scream they are hungry with broccoli and cheese sitting in front of them.

They will eat it, or try it, if they are hungry enough.

My daughter is not picky at all. Now at 13, she could be a chef.

She went days without any thing to eat once, because she was being picky and didn't want what we had fixed. Yes 3 days in a row.(she got school lunch and breakfast, but dinner she starved for 3 nights.

It has never happened again.
I hear you. I'm in that battle myself right now. The problem is my wife gives in from time to time.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, but you didn't just say entitlements. You went back to the Founding Fathers and taking care of Americans in general. And i reject your view wholeheatedly.

As for your statement on foreign policy, i really don't know what you're talking about.
See the thread title...

Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM

8,587 posts, read 9,081,196 times
Quote:
No one said anything about Wall Street.

As far as SS, I would propose to incrementally decrease the tax to some point in the future where it would be zero. You still get payouts, but it would slowly decrease to get people accustomed to saving on their own.

SS is a Ponzi scheme. The money is not sitting anywhere. They spend the money set aside for SS and payout SS money as part of a general budget item as it comes in. Just my guess.
Wrong guess. I'll say it for the third time, the fed owes us tax payers 4 trillion in SS. SS has it own fund that has been taken advantage of for some years now, around 30 years. SS is insurance not some cheesy cheap savings account in which it would yield about 1%, thanks to (and I'll say it again) Wall Street.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Now only if they were actually clowns. We could at least laugh about it. I see masters, who stand to benefit, and puppets who fulfill the wishes of their masters because they've been fine tuned to obey. And sometimes, they don't even have to be a majority!

I'm reading a book that addresses the woes in Myanmar (Burma). Eighty five percent of the populace is claimed to be opposed to the government, but the 15% get the job done, to benefit from it. There is absolutely no social safety net, plenty of people making big bucks at the expense of the rest which is extremely poor. The purpose of education has been killed. I'm surprised, they haven't completely killed the idea of education (yet). An educated mass would be harder to control.

And I don't think the puppets would care to move to India (which, BTW, has reasonable safety nets) or China, or to a third world country. They want to take this country there.
Your one liner says it in a NUTSHELL?
I see masters, who stand to benefit, and puppets who do fulfill the wishes of their masters! boy AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH.

Good one

Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,279,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It's called insurance. I'll say it again, the fed owes SS 4 trillion dollars. Suppose you apply the same thing to your tired UnitedHealthCare insurance. Got a hang nail--covered with deductible and copay. Got a heart attack---sorry you didn't pay enough through the years, go die.
You want insurance? Go see AFLAC. The US Government has no business being in the insurance business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies