Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I agree with a lot of what you said however I disagree that "system of elections doesn't seem to be working"

The system isn't the problem, it's the people we continually elect to govern. We tolerate too many lies and too much status quo from our politicians.

The answer to that, imo, is having a collective backbone and VOTING in more honest, intelligent, compassionate people to office who will actually prioritize the American people instead of prioritizing re-election.

I think putting term limits in every office would be a good start.
I agree with the sentiment behind your post, however; how do we elect honest people if there aren't any running? Or, how do we elect honest people if they are outspent, out maneuvered, and flat out lied about by the other side who has the big, corporate bucks behind their campaigns? ( one of the worst, and I do mean down right disgusting, sick, low-down, lying campaigns I ever saw was the last time James Inhofe R-OK ran for office) Of course, he won.

Your post states what people say time and time and time again with every election. So, what gives? I'll tell you my opinion and that is if we actually get an honest NON-GREEDY politico in office he will be thrown under the train by the others.

Politics is a big effin game, and politicians either play the game or they lose. Then, we the constiuents, lose.

Right now, this is working on becoming monopolized by top few, ultra elite, (like the Koch head brothers) and no one really cares. People either don't care or don't see it. As long as they have a little bit of comfort and don't have to watch their babies belly swell from starvation they're pretty much okay with it. The gap between rich and poor is growing; wages are stagnant, but we count ourselves lucky if we have a half-way decent wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
If Americans protested UK student or French style you might actually see change. Imagine a protesting mob threatening petro companies, insurance companies, or closing down Wash DC and going after the politicians. You would see fuel, medical and food prises drop like a miracle. You would see politicians actually take action for what the people want instead of just promising and then blowing it off.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:42 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Wisconsin is standing up to their new governor.
You mean the unions are whinning again, because the governor is actually doing the job that he was hired to do.... Wisconsin isn't really protesting him, and the unions are literally busing in people from other states to make the crowd bigger.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
As I watch the Middle East erupt into protests in half its nations, people willing to sacrifice their lives in order to demand better government, more democratic governments, and at the very least, reforms, I wonder what happened to the American protester?

The French government and even the German government half fear their populations as they will take to the streets in protest over paid vacation days, let alone things like health care, war, or democratic reforms. Not so much here in the United States anymore, where protesting is becoming more about attending a rally once every four years to protest whatever party was elected to President, whomever that may be and by gawd Willie Nelson or Dennis Miller better be the headliner.

Is it because we have some near perfect form of government and system here as to why we don't really protest? Is it because the media and press keep the American people docile, distracted, and wanting for bread and circuses? Is it because the American citizen no longer believes that it can achieve anything by petitioning the government with its grievances?

Or are we just lazy and rather sit in a comfy chair online and complain to others who are complaining about others?

We have two of the longest wars in our nations history still grinding on, we have massive debt and deficits, and a system of government that more and more seems to favor the interests of large corporate conglomerates and special interests than it does the people. We have seen the encroachment of individual and national civil liberty and draconian laws intent on spying on its very citizenry, and with this and all the other issues facing our nation, American's cannot seem to be bothered by taking to the streets.

What will it take before the American people are willing to protest not as Democrats and Republicans but as Americans?
Living in the Nation's Capital, I can assure you that there are frequent demonstations here. Some of them can be quite large. Some of them, particularly those regarding the World Bank/IMF, inevitably turn into riots and a general excuse for leftist hooliganism.

So I guess I do not know what you are talking about.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:01 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
The power elite, financial powerful and political powerful need a "oh s***" moment. When they stand to loose their personal finances and power then they'll do what people want. Voting in a democrat or republican isn't going to bring that on.....

Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Hill, I just not feeling your pain.

In the last 10 years Washington has witnessed more than a number of extremely large demonstrations, from the anti-Iraq war to the Tea Party Rally's so I'm just not feeling you from even a historic perspective. Additionally, as bad as things are, this ain't the 30's thanks to the very social programs that some folks deride. Now, things could change rather drastically considering how and what programs are going to be cut or the lack of sufficient cuts depending on the political flavor of the protest. But unlike Egypt or Tunisia or anywhere else you might want to point to, we DID have elections, one just recently.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
As long as you believe that then that is exactly what will happen. In fact Corporate America counts on you believing that.
Protest all you want--you won't change anything.

Meanwhile, some of us have jobs to go to.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:14 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Does anybody remember the Million Man March? What the was the point of that march and do you think it did Black America any good?

I ask this because it points to a kind of ennui: we can march and protest, but does it ultimately do any good?

The Middle East reached a boiling point of desperation. The US system is set up so that citizens can voice their frustrations with officials via democratic elections, which the Middle East doesn't have. Therefore, the people over there had no choice but to riot and protest for weeks to make change happen.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Yes TKramar but you get to have a say regarding who is in power in our country. Be thankful for that.

Keep right on believing that lie if you want. I know the truth of the matter.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:41 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
What will it take before the American people are willing to protest not as Democrats and Republicans but as Americans?
There's a world of difference between the U.S. and Egypt but a heck of a lot of Americans have given their lives and limbs so that we can protest if we want to. I dare say most of those who died in defense of American principles have enjoyed listening to the high-pitched crooning of Willie Nelson or the masculine whine of Rachel Maddow. Americans are not too lazy, apathetic or docile to protest against their government when it needs to be protested. However as Americans, we have a vote and a voice thanks to a well thought out Constitution.

Also, American is simply too culture-diverse for anyone to be able to muster much interest in protesting anything short of an empty stomach. From the many anti-Walmart shopper picture posts I see here at C-D, I would say we are a long way from that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies