Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 01:16 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,106,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Nothing in the Wisconsin protests is illegal. They assembled, they protested.
Not true. It is illegal for a teacher strike in WI. They were within their rights to assemble, even Walker has said that he will not try to stop them b/c it's their right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
There is one bright spot to what is happening in Wis today. The voters across this nation are getting a good hard look at what is store for them if the new types of Republicans take charge of our government. No more unions, no more minimum wage, no more welfare, no more Medicare, no more SS, no more food stamps, no more child labor laws, no more public assistance in any way, and no more discussion, just follow their orders and do not talk back. Is that Really what you want? Think about it, because if you ever allow it to take a strong foothold there will NO going back, ever.
Casper
Slippery slope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
NoTrain.com - Stop The Train

In Scott Walker's deceptive campaign letter.
Um, that is not him redirecting funds without permission. That is him asking to be allowed to redirect the funds, which is exactly what I said he did. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

"Fair weather" derives from people who won't go out in bad weather.

No, I don't know squat about snow. I have only lived my entire life in the northern US, to wit, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware (well, they don't get much, and I was only there a year), Illinois (7 years in Champaign), and these 30 years in Colorado. Boo hoo for your snow problems.

The spin on the fact that the TPs couldn't draw as many people as the pro-union protesters is hilarious. We sure didn't hear that stuff in the fall of 2009, when tens of thousands (some of the RWs say hundreds of thousands) showed up in DC on a *Saturday*. I guess none of them were from Wisconsin, where they're all working.
I was in no way asking for pity. If you live in the snow, then you understand what's going on and understand why people wouldn't be coming out in droves during that kind of weather. There are tons of people who support Walker and he will win this fight.

And yeah, "fair weather" might have originally come from the weather but in modern times, which we currently live in, it means not supporting something as soon as it doesn't go your way.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
And you are either completely clueless or being dishonest, because the fight in Wis is not about the budget and never has been, it is about breaking the back of the teachers union and in the process all unions working with the state.
I am all for cutting budgets in a rational manner and I am watching what they are cutting in my state and at the federal level, some of it does not seem like rational cutting to me. Nope from what I am seeing most are not supporting the Gov of Wis and the Patry of No ain't looking so good right now either, and wait until their tactics lead to a government shutdown, their approval rating will drop through the floor. As I have said before, I approve, go for it, I want the new GOP to show their true colors, keep pushing, by the time 2012 comes around people will spit when they say GOP, and that will be that, keep up the good work
Casper
The potential gov't shutdown is due to the left shirking their responsibilities, you have it backward.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine Summer View Post
I didn't see any salary that was surprising for someone who probably had to do graduate work and is paying back student loans. Does the average person living in Wisconsin have a graduate degree.
What graduate work?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
There is one bright spot to what is happening in Wis today. The voters across this nation are getting a good hard look at what is store for them if the new types of Republicans take charge of our government. No more unions, no more minimum wage, no more welfare, no more Medicare, no more SS, no more food stamps, no more child labor laws, no more public assistance in any way, and no more discussion, just follow their orders and do not talk back. Is that Really what you want? Think about it, because if you ever allow it to take a strong foothold there will NO going back, ever.
Casper
My wish list includes:

UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE - I think it
should be a citizen right of birth, not just those NOT PAYING
into health care as a union demand. PUBLIC SECTOR UNIONS are the reason
we don't have UHC. I am paying for you in the public sector, I am paying for me as self employed in the private sector, and You don't have a clue what it costs.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why aren't there protests in Detroit ?
They are talking of completely canceling the teacher union contracts.
Which really is the best way to do it and how my district handled it. Detroit, like my city has to close 50% of its schools. It should fire all the teachers then re-hire the good teachers under new contracts.

Maybe they should do that in Madison the end of this school session? Taking note of course, of those with the "blue flu".

Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No sarcasm at all. You said you had pics of TPers coming to rallies with children. I want to see you back up that claim, and I was saying I don't want to see pics of them with their own kids, but random kids just to make a point about something or other, as the teachers have done here.
Here is a link I posted on another thread. This is hardly news, except for those who just started following politics last week.

10 Most Offensive Tea Party Signs And Extensive Photo Coverage From Tax Day Protests (PHOTOS)

There is a whole set of pictures of kids, some of whom are very young, too young to know why they were there other than Mommy and Daddy took them and told them to hold this sign. Some aren't even old enough to read the sign.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Number 1, you cannot use a link like that. It's aggregated info from different sources that may or may not be correct. It's also old. I have posted reputable links already, please stop trying to refute this, it's making you look quite dense.

Number 2, nobody is trash talking teachers, we are demanding that teachers put their jobs and students first instead of their wallets. If they can't do that, they are crappy human beings. I have no problem with teachers in general, just these teachers who walked out on their students.

Obviously people make typos and it doesn't mean I'm an idiot or stupid, the way you would make it seem. I meant to say the graduation rate is dismal at only about 60%.
What's "old" about the information in my link? It gives 2009 salaries (a mere 14 months ago), and the salaries are further broken down into school districts in every state. Then they are broken down again into 10th percentile, 25th, median, 75th and 90th. I don't know why this information would be any less accurate than yours, from some right wing think tank.

Calling teachers jerkoffs is trash talk, if anything is.

And please knock off the personal attacks! It only makes you look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies