Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The state budget has to be balanced, that is the law in all of the states. The union members can either pitch in and help with contribution partially toward their health and retirement pensions, or, they can cost others their jobs by their selfishness. It is not as though Gov. Walker can just print money to pay them the way Obama does.

Walker is doing his best to balance the budget with the least amount of pain to everyone involved. So, why wouldn't the Democrats and their union membership bread and butter supporters want to help with that effort?

Could it be because the Democrat party and Obama have literally given them their orders on how to behave? I mean, the DNC and Obama are promoting this walk-out on their websites.
It's also about cutting collective bargaining rights. It's not only about the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Who says they performed essential jobs and even need to be replaced? And, if they do, I'm sure the bazillions of unemployed would be more than happy to take their places.
Do you know what these people do for the state? I don't, but generally state workers are professionals. You can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ear. You can't take a laid off auto worker and hire him/her on as an accountant, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Are you talking about teachers only or are you also talking about other union members. I wonder just how many people there are who are unemployed who could take the place of most of those outside the teachers.
Well, I don't know who all he's considering laying off. The teachers work for the individual school districts, don't they?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
What you are saying is not all wrong but what do you do when the pot is empty and there just isn't any money left? It is the part about money that you don't seem to understand.
Again, it's not only about the money. I think the biggest outrage is the fact he wants to cut collective bargaining. In CA, there have been similar proposals to cut pensions, actually more so than the proposed WI cut. However, they did not want to cut bargaining rights. That's the point of contention.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
This "angers people to no end." Yeah, ok. Most of these people have no problems and/or complaints, paying some professional athlete, 7 million a year, to hit a ball with a piece of wood. They also have no problems with paying 200 bucks+ for a ticket, 9 bucks for a hot dog, or 9 bucks for a beer.

But dammit. Pay a teacher, who teaches their kids a good wage? OMG!!! The world is coming to an end. NO. STOP. Wait, hold on, Joe Blow just hit a home run. I need to see this. My kid's homework? Uh, well, "Don't you see? That home run was a record breaking event."

Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
This "angers people to no end." Yeah, ok. Most of these people have no problems and/or complaints, paying some professional athlete, 7 million a year, to hit a ball with a piece of wood. They also have no problems with paying 200 bucks+ for a ticket, 9 bucks for a hot dog, or 9 bucks for a beer.

But dammit. Pay a teacher, who teaches their kids a good wage? OMG!!! The world is coming to an end. NO. STOP. Wait, hold on, Joe Blow just hit a home run. I need to see this. My kid's homework? Uh, well, "Don't you see? That home run was a record breaking event."
I was just thinking the same thing.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:37 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:

You do see the difference right? Oh wait a minute, maybe you were a product of public schools.............

Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
I see that you haven't been in a classroom the last few years. Teachers can control only with help from the parents and the administration and they don't get much of either.
I guess you haven't been in the classroom in a few years because I have seen some real lazy teachers. In our schools they get rid of the bad students but still keep most of the lazy teachers and cut the good ones.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Wow! One sometimes looks back on their life and has regrets on some their career decisions. However, I declined teacher certification over thirty years ago and right now I am really glad I did.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil306

Good point. Americans, overall, don't give a d*** about education. And I'm not necessarily talking about teacher pay. States can only afford so much. Too many parents are occupied with other stuff besides their kids' education. And that's just sad. Perhaps some parents should point to their lazy parenting styles before pointing to teachers.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:

this would be an apples and clod of dirt argument.

on the first hand, a baseball player is most certainly NOT paid with tax payer money. He is paid by his employer who is a private business.

a teacher however is paid by tax payers and while paying teachers is certainly something that is important to all of us, we cannot pay teachers at such a rate that their pay bankrupts the state.

back to the baseball player.

the owner of the team pays the player based on how many people will watch that guy perform. If the pay exceeds the amount the owner can regain by ticket sales etc, the owner will part ways with the player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies