Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You do see the difference right? Oh wait a minute, maybe you were a product of public schools.............
I think the point that he was making was that people are less concerned with their children's education than other things. It's not about whether or not one is publicly funded or not, his post was about priorities.

Education should be a priority. I understand that this is a state/local issue, however I feel that federal funds should help prop up education spending (teacher's pay, admin pay, para-educational staff/teacher's aides pay, etc.) instead of paying Exxon subsidies (which is consistently ranked in the top 10 most profitable companies in the world). I think that we should invest more in creating a world class system with increased incentives to become a teacher (attracting the best and brightest to educate the future of our nation) instead of paying for airplanes with two engines that the pentagon repeatedly told Republicans we do not want nor need (we finally ended that). I think that we should increase the amount of teachers per school as to decrease class sizes since studies show that individual attention produces results. This, to me, seems more important than decreasing revenue by increasing tax breaks for the richest Americans.

A nation should have its priorities in line. While I agree that hard decisions must be made, I don't think that it should be some sort of fiat. We should not end collective bargaining of unions in WI.

Yes, these are tough times for everyone. However, it seems that we middle class Americans would rather inflict pain on ourselves as to serve corporate interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:48 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I've never once seen a teacher, heard of a teacher, or have myself, as a teacher, talked on my phone in the classroom or while I was on the clock (I was an ABA tutor previously).
Just because you never saw it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. My kids have told me and also other kids have told me. The one teacher got caught because I had to tell the principal what was going on. I suppose you didn't know about a teacher that left the classroom for most of it either.

I am not saying that all teachers are like that but it does happen. It seems to me at least in my kids schools that some of the teachers just don't care. Then again there are some wonderful teachers and it shows in every thing they do.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
this would be an apples and clod of dirt argument.

on the first hand, a baseball player is most certainly NOT paid with tax payer money. He is paid by his employer who is a private business.

a teacher however is paid by tax payers and while paying teachers is certainly something that is important to all of us, we cannot pay teachers at such a rate that their pay bankrupts the state.

back to the baseball player.

the owner of the team pays the player based on how many people will watch that guy perform. If the pay exceeds the amount the owner can regain by ticket sales etc, the owner will part ways with the player.

Let's not forget supply and demand.......

Heck, I'm a pharmacist and I think I deserve as much as the 25th man on a MLB roster. But the market doesn't agree.

One more thing. If the player has a lousey year, so long. Not so much a teacher.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
^^It's a public/private partnership, though. Most stadiums are tax funded and taxpayer maintained. "Socialized baseball" as one of our crustier newspaper guys called it when we had to vote on Coors Field. And even though the payor is different, isn't it amazing that we consider a few millions no big deal for a pro athlete, but $50K for a teacher is "outrageous"?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Uh, you just did, all the while saying you wouldn't! Clever, that!
ahh but here is the difference.... you (or whomever) called someone a repug.

I however, pointed out the insult by using the counterpoint in a generic manner.

I didnt call anyone a name.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Oh poor GOP. Yall thought sticking it to teachers was good politics.

LOL

Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
ahh but here is the difference.... you (or whomever) called someone a repug.

I however, pointed out the insult by using the counterpoint in a generic manner.

I didnt call anyone a name.
It wasn't me, but I don't buy "that's different". You got the term out there.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I think the point that he was making was that people are less concerned with their children's education than other things. It's not about whether or not one is publicly funded or not, his post was about priorities.
It is a poor point. individuals do not pay $7 million to watch an athlete. No one is compelled to pony up money for sports events. Plus in most cities they have choice in sports. Maybe it teachers aloowed school choice you would see some very well compensated employees. teachers want all the upside but none of the down side. Bad teachers are paid trhe same as good teachers not so, in sports, bad athletes loose their jobs, but fast.

Quote:
Education should be a priority. I understand that this is a state/local issue, however I feel that federal funds should help prop up education spending (teacher's pay, admin pay, para-educational staff/teacher's aides pay, etc.) instead of paying Exxon subsidies (which is consistently ranked in the top 10 most profitable companies in the world). I think that we should invest more in creating a world class system with increased incentives to become a teacher (attracting the best and brightest to educate the future of our nation) instead of paying for airplanes with two engines that the pentagon repeatedly told Republicans we do not want nor need (we finally ended that). I think that we should increase the amount of teachers per school as to decrease class sizes since studies show that individual attention produces results. This, to me, seems more important than decreasing revenue by increasing tax breaks for the richest Americans.

A nation should have its priorities in line. While I agree that hard decisions must be made, I don't think that it should be some sort of fiat. We should not end collective bargaining of unions in WI.

Yes, these are tough times for everyone. However, it seems that we middle class Americans would rather inflict pain on ourselves as to serve corporate interests.

I am not sure what role coporate interests play in the fact that we are out of money, something has to give. Asking teachers to make modest concessions is not outrageous. their behavior in Wisconsin is.

Throwing money at education does zero to improve it. Are you suggesting if we paid teachers more they would teach better?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Oh poor GOP. Yall thought sticking it to teachers was good politics.

LOL

LOL, it seems the teachers, their unions and the Dems are looking very bad here. It is the same scenario that played out in NJ. Except the Dem politicians weren't dumb enough to ignore the will of the people.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Just because you never saw it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. My kids have told me and also other kids have told me. The one teacher got caught because I had to tell the principal what was going on. I suppose you didn't know about a teacher that left the classroom for most of it either.

I am not saying that all teachers are like that but it does happen. It seems to me at least in my kids schools that some of the teachers just don't care. Then again there are some wonderful teachers and it shows in every thing they do.
I didn't say it never happened. However, I will I know for A FACT that this is RARE.

Again, the whole notion of "teachers that don't care" is VERY subjective.

I was criticized by one parent as being too harsh. The same day I got a call stating that I was too lax. It's highly subjective according to the children's personality.

Concerning the teacher on the phone: What was the context? Was it an emergency? Was (s)he checking the time or turning off the phone?

Concerning the teacher away from the class: What was the context? Were they making photocopies in quick sec? Where they getting a form from the office? Were they called in for something? Teachers do leave the classroom for a myriad of reasons.

That's the thing with student reports...they are sometimes unreliable (since they don't understand the workings of being a teacher).

One parent started yelling at me since she heard that I asked her child to stop writing her homework in her schedule. Later, in tears, the child told the mom the truth that she was passing notes to her friend in Korean (I'm in Seoul as an ESL teacher, thus no writing in Korean). The mom was highly embarrassed.

So I would check out the context before jumping to conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies