Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Liberals only hate the Democratic process when they are not in control. When they get their way everything is peachy and you can just pass the bill into law to find out what is in it. However, when a Gov. campaigns on fiscal responsibility and states flat out that he will expect state employees to contribute more to their benefits, and gets elected, they throw a temper tantrum.

I have all the respect in the world for good educators who do not use their students as bargaining chips and protestors. I have all the respect in the world for teachers and legislature working within the system to voice their grievences.

I have no respect for teachers who cause schools to shut down by lying about being "sick" and dragging their students out to protest with them.

I have no respect for legislatures who abdicate their responsibility of voting on an issue and also violate their sworn oaths, just because they suspect they will lose when the cvotes are tallied.

Shameful of the legislators, shameful on the unions/teachers, shameful on the DNC for shippin in protestors, and shameful of Obama who chose to stir the pot through his words and his website. Instead of a Reagan moment he chose to use his bully pulpit to damage the states. Completely unacceptable.
I don't think you do have respect for the teachers. Esp. younger teachers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Wouldn't end, but some HEALTHY changes would be made. How right is it for a conservative teacher's union dues going to the democrat party?
Collective bargaining would end for some workers:

Quality Health Care Authority – The bill repeals the authority of home health care workers under the Medicaid program to collectively bargain.

Child care labor relations – The bill repeals the authority of family child care workers to collectively bargain with the State.

University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics (UWHC) Board and Authority – The bill repeals collective bargaining for UWHC employees. State positions currently employed by the UWHC Board are eliminated and the incumbents are transferred to the UWHC Authority.

University of Wisconsin faculty and academic staff - The bill repeals the authority of UW faculty and academic staff to collectively bargain.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Because they are acting in their own interest, they don't want to contribute to their benefits. They don't care about the people of Wisconsin.

Actually teachers don't get it. Out here in the real world the economy stinks we all have tightened our belts and it is time for teachers to do the same.

Republicans don't have all the power voters do, and they elected the Republicans. Why do the Dems hate the Democratic process?
If you are going to play the "democratic" process card, why does your side complain about health care reform?

And why is it wrong for teachers to look out for their own interests? I have never understood this.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Teachers still maintain their collective bargaiing for their salaries, just not for their benefits. Their extras are tied to the voters consent. How is this screwing them specifically?
Well, because healthcare costs can eat away significant portions of a $31,000 year salary for new teachers that are highly indebted. Not to mention if they state decides to do away with scholarships/loan forgiveness to attract talent. What about pensions? If the state decides to do away with pensions altogether, then that surely wouldn't draw people to staying or becoming teachers.

Those are huge issues. Salary is also a big deal, but so are all the other things.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I'm talking to you. You're welcome, I only state my observations. I stated facts, not my problem if you haven't and are relying on a "true" story. BTW, there are public schools in inner city NYC, thus unions. Fake Life? Hey, I'm not the one creating stories of no unions in inner city New York...
you dare to post this junk! you no nothing no kidding there are public schools in inner NYC so you you post one true sentence so folks will think your whole post is true. I know your game scammer and you cannot refute anything I have posted can you liar. try again but at least try a little harder next time

c

Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? If the wealth left EXPLAIN how there was an INCREASE in the PERCENTAGE of people making over 500k? Or how there was a NET INCREASE of $28 Billion over the decade. That's what happened. You are right, some people aren't convinced by facts. I just so happen to like facts and not fantasy.

I am the product of a teacher's salary. I am saving up money to get my masters in ed.

If you want to attract talent ALLOW for better wages and benefits. The union is ensuring that btw, in case you haven't noticed.

The biggest reason for teachers not staying in inner city schools is because they feel the compensation doesn't match the work. I agree.

Most teachers aren't lousy. Again, this is a matter of perception. My favorite teacher was called a lousy teacher by my best friend's parents. Teaching to a test isn't the greatest either, esp. in poorer districts.
If you really think that teachers only have one focus, money...you're sorelymistaken.
The fact of the matter is $70 billion left the state.

Next, we don't have the money to any pay teachers more. In fact teachers will now have to contribute modestly for their benefits.

On one hand you say teachers aren't lousey but on the other hand we need to pay more to attract talent? Which is it are todays teachers any good?

The fact of the matter is we don't know about the quality of our teachers. The union steadfastly refuses to evaluate and compensate teachers on outcomes.

Of course teachers are focused on money. Otherwise how do you explain them abandoning the children of wisconsin over the relatively insignificant matter of contributing modestly for their benefits?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
It's funny teachers feel they are above and better then who pays them, thats their 1st mistake. Alot of schools in the north woods are closed tomm. because they feel the kids are so important.

It is their union who put them in this position, I believe by design.

This state is BROKE and raising my taxes AGAIN is not the answer. I've had to change my lifestyle to fit the budget the dem. controlled state put us in also by design.

The only people who agreed with lowering my standard of living were the Democrats and that rein of HELL is over!!!!!
Not only are the teachers throwing the children and the taxpayers under the bus but also other employees at the schools who are not unionized.

I was listening to talk radio and a female lunchroom worker called in complaining that because the schools are closed obviously there will be no meals served, which means she doesn't get paid any of the days the unionized teachers are forcing school district shutdowns (lunch workers at her school are not unionized). How is that considerate of the unionized teachers? Isn't it rather selfish to directly harm others just because they don't want to contribute to their own benfit package?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
you dare to post this junk! you no nothing no kidding there are public schools in inner NYC so you you post one true sentence so folks will think your whole post is true. I know your game scammer and you cannot refute anything I have posted can you liar. try again but at least try a little harder next time c
New York City Department of Education

These schools employ UNION teachers. I have refuted something you posted.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
$32,000.

Seriously, that's the starting salary of a teacher with a bachelor's degree in Milwaukee. The average is roughly $41,000. Shouldn't we give benefits and pay the people educating the future and acting as a stabilizing force of America, a little more. Or at the very least allow them the ability to plead their case?
Not true, and I have posted a link about this a few times now but don't feel like digging it up again. In Milwaukee, pay starts at $35k, caps at $98k, average is $56k plus $30 in benefits. I would guess including bennies, stating pay comes to around $50k.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The fact of the matter is $70 billion left the state.

Next, we don't have the money to any pay teachers more. In fact teachers will now have to contribute modestly for their benefits.

On one hand you say teachers aren't lousey but on the other hand we need to pay more to attract talent? Which is it are todays teachers any good?

The fact of the matter is we don't know about the quality of our teachers. The union steadfastly refuses to evaluate and compensate teachers on outcomes.

Of course teachers are focused on money. Otherwise how do you explain them abandoning the children of wisconsin over the relatively insignificant matter of contributing modestly for their benefits?
This is after having 98 billion enter. Thus a gain of 28 billion.

Not many people WANT to become teachers. Those that do really want to stay in good districts. Thus, you have a shortage. We have pool of talented teachers, but that pool isn't that large. That's how you have overcrowded classrooms. Lack of people wanting to fund for extra teachers at a reasonable rate.

We do know the quality of teachers. It's evidenced in our competitiveness as a nation. If we really had a crappy educational system, we wouldn't be a leader in many industries.

If it were ALL about money then they wouldn't have decided to become teachers in the first place. It's also about respect and trying to change the anti-education tide that has swept this nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies