Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,092,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I was off by $3,000 dollars a year. In Madison it's 33k. In some rural school districts it goes down to about 27k. As for the high end, that's probably true...maybe not since CA usually has the amongst the highest for the high end at around 90k. I'd have to dig it up.

It's not 20,000 in benefits a year btw.
Who said $20k in benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:50 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,154,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
these teachers seem to be a bit unreasonable considering how tight the state budget must be there.
"A bit"? How much would it take to be very unreasonable? Should we make them the only people in America that will not suffer any consequences of this nation's economic collapse at the expense of everyone else? We're all going to have to pay. All.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,530,354 times
Here's alittle info on what's in their contracts.

What’s Really in Those Union Contracts | Media Trackers

Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
From what I've seen, it appears to me that the state is wanting teachers to pay half of what other Wisconsin citizens pay for their healthcare and pension plans.

I've long said that unions in government jobs is a bad thing. You've got almost unlimited pocket books, and then groups holding the tax payers hostages for more money from that pocket book.

I can't back the teachers here. I have no problem with unions, Unions are free market and have a place. But in this case, the union is wrong, and they should go to the table to hammer out a deal.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The tax burden on the people of WI is high enough already.
Well the public workers might think otherwise since they are dependent on taxpayers for their salaries and raises.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,189,623 times
I think the fight to keep collective bargaining rights in Wisconsin is a GOOD THING--and that's what the vast majority of public workers are protesting over--but I don't support the wildcat strike (meaning not organized by the union leadership--they did it on their own) the teachers are on, and I don't think it helps their cause. I personally don't think public employees should have the right to strike--Wisconsin is one of the few that lets them. Most states handle it with binding arbitration--if they can't come to an agreement, the union and management both make a case before a neutral arbitrator, or judge, who makes a ruling that they're both required by law to uphold.

I think the current teachers strike was a dumb move--it makes them look greedy, and it takes away from the biggest issue--the attempt by the governor and R's to end the right for public workers to bargain in any meaningful way.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
Some of us newly minted grads (2 years out now) want to become teachers, but are facing the reality that I can't pay off my debts and try to help society. I have to choose between the two or stay abroad.

Here, I get free housing, pension, severance pay, healthcare, dental. At least 5 people I've met in the 3 months of living abroad were teachers that were under compensated in their respective districts. They are saving up to get a masters degree (like me) to hopefully find a job that pays okay back in the states. However, it seems less and less likely.

Some of those concessions could be about not helping tuition repayment for teachers. The average starting salary in WI for a bachelor's degree is $31,000. That's not that much considering the amount of loans many people have.

I think that had the collective bargaining not been messed with, there would still be an uproar, but not as much of one.
First of all, I call BULL. You say "try to help society". The behavior of the teachers are proving otherwise - they only care about themselves.

Secondly, teachers must be a pretty stupid group of people if they pay more for an education than their jobs are worth.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,722,751 times
Quote:
Some of us newly minted grads (2 years out now) want to become teachers, but are facing the reality that I can't pay off my debts and try to help society. I have to choose between the two or stay abroad.

Here, I get free housing, pension, severance pay, healthcare, dental. At least 5 people I've met in the 3 months of living abroad were teachers that were under compensated in their respective districts. They are saving up to get a masters degree (like me) to hopefully find a job that pays okay back in the states. However, it seems less and less likely.

Some of those concessions could be about not helping tuition repayment for teachers. The average starting salary in WI for a bachelor's degree is $31,000. That's not that much considering the amount of loans many people have.

I think that had the collective bargaining not been messed with, there would still be an uproar, but not as much of one.

You still don't get it we (the public) are out of money. If the compensation in teaching isn't enough for you, find something else to do.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I used to work in insurance, trust me it's not that easy. It was MY job to make it hard to read and understand the lingo. I had LAWYERS ask me to interpret the legalese in the documents.

This our national education, not a corporation. If coca-cola reports lowered earning our future is still relatively more secure. If people don't want to become teachers and thus Johnny can't read, our nation is much less secure.
Here's where your argument is horribly flawed - JOHNNY CAN'T READ. For all the excessive amounts of money pumped into the education system, kids are doing worse.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Oh really? Then why haven't the teachers turned against this "unhinged" union? The Republicans have the power. All the teachers would have to do is support the Republicans and have the unions quashed.

Non-teachers just don't get it.
Because it's obvious that the teachers are just as unhinged. The signs themselves show that. I hope they're all willing to take full responsibility if, heaven forbid, something horrible happens to the governor. Those cross hairs can't mean anything other than "take a shot at him right between the eyes" now can it?

Yes, the Republicans do have the power. The people voted them in because were clear about how they would handle their budget. It's not for the unions and their thugs to try and override the election results. But that is the liberal way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies