Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I would agree with you that considering just the historically democratic states' to compete globally in math, science, and literacy, is cherry picking.
Read up on how these students qualify to compete in international academics. These are the best students in the US and they still fall short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
[quote=KoobleKar;17952634]LOL...and you seriously want me to believe your an independent after saying something so ridiculous (not to mention ALL the other things you say here on C-D).
I do not care what you believe and if you and if were honest and had actually read all what I have posted here you would KNOW that I have taken the righthanded side on issues, gun control being just one obvious issue I would mention. Seems I remember you saying you were and Independent, and I would guess many would disagree on your many posts on this board, double edgged sword there eh

Right now, the Democrats are proving to the American people that they didn't "get" what they said to Washington back in November.The mistake you are making is assuming the voters wanted the GOP to ignore the Dems and just refund or repeal which will result in a government shutdown, if you actually believe the voters would have voted for a government shutdown you are not nearly as smart as I had thought you were.

The groundswell for Republicans happened BECAUSE the Democrats were ignoring the voice of the people and when they got a chance to voice their opinion, they voted OUT Democrats and IN Republicans.

The PEOPLE see the Republicans LISTENING and KEEPING THEIR PROMISES.They promised a shutdown? Hmmm, I must have missed that. They did promise to repeal HC reform and did, in the House, and that is that. They said they would cut spending, but forgot to mention that they would only cut what THEY are against and not any of their pet projects, such as NASCAR. No, the voters, especially the Indes will now see what the new GOPers (aka the TPers) are really all about and that will be that for the GOP.

Any shut down will be at the peril of the Democrats and THEY will get the blame as a result of the above.
No they will not. Anyone with half a brain knows what changed in Washingtoon, the GOP came into power, and why everything has come to a standstill. They will blame the cause which is the GOP House.
That is a FACT. It has happened before when the Democrats shut down legislatures....it will happen again.We shall see, I always love it when the righthanders make predictions, especially since they are almost always wrong[/quote]
Casper

Old 02-20-2011, 12:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Unable to handle the TRUTH aren't we?

I said 51% are Democrats and Independents.

Is that not true?

The mere FACT that 43% are INDEPENDENT speaks more for the TP than any other percentage since it is THEY who elect our politicians.

...and so much for calling them all right wingers too!
Sure it's true. It's also true that 43% are Independents and 8% are Repubs. The TPs like to lump both together, to make it sound as though there is a huge number of Dems in the TP. I don't think I'm the one unalbe to handle the truth, which is that 8% of TP members identify as Democrats. 8%.

Independents can be RW, LW, or anywhere in between.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:12 PM

277 posts, read 166,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What's to say they won't go back to their old ways once this issue is resolved ?
What old ways? I don't even know what you mean by that. That is the only response you have?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why does WI need to abolish collective bargaining rights of state employees? What good will this do? And what does this have to do with balancing the budget?
They need to stop the collective bargaining rights because THEY NEVER STOP WANTING MORE. They have the best of the best already.

It will get our taxes to the rest of us under control, we are taxed enough.
2 years ago, the dems pushed a bill in 24 hours, no discussion, just shoved thru for 6.6 billion planned to take in 2 years, no choice, extra tax put on our utility bill to cover salaries of our D.A.s--------700 pages of everything but the kitchen sink!!! If I look it probably does cover somebodies kitchen sink.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/2009/data/acts/09Act28.pdf

This is what it has to do with balancing our budget.

In 2001 taxpayers contributed $423 million dollars to state employee health insurance premiums, while in 2011 taxpayers contributed more than $1 billion dollars.

In 2011, state employees paid $64 million toward their health insurance, or about 5.6% of the total cost. (ETF Health Care Analysis)
From 2001 to 2010 taxpayers spent more than $8 billion dollars on state employee health care coverage—over the same period of time state employees contributed about $398 million. (ETF Health Care Analysis)

Public employers contributed almost $1.37 billion to the state’s pension fund in 2009, while employees contributed about $8 million, or about 0.6%. (LFB paper 84 Wisconsin Retirement System, Table 28)

From 2000 to 2009 taxpayers spent about $12.6 billion on public employee pensions, during the same period public employees contributed $55.4 million. (LFB paper 84 Wisconsin Retirement System, Table 28)

When looking at state operations, state employees account for about 60% of taxpayer cost—77% of state operations for the UW are employees, 70% for corrections, 63% for health services. (State Budget Office Memo 2-9-11)

Wisconsin taxpayers currently make nearly a 100% payment for the employee portion of the public sector pension contribution. Illinois and Indiana taxpayers contribute the entire employee portion as well, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Ohio pay 0% of the employee contribution. (State Budget Office Memo 2-9-11)

http://www.thegovmonitor.com/world_news/united_states/wisconsin-outlines-cost-of-public-sector-employee-benefits-46426.html

Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM

277 posts, read 166,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
They need to stop the collective bargaining rights because THEY NEVER STOP WANTING MORE. They have the best of the best already.

It will get our taxes to the rest of us under control, we are taxed enough.
2 years ago, the dems pushed a bill in 24 hours, no discussion, just shoved thru for 6.6 billion planned to take in 2 years, no choice, extra tax put on our utility bill to cover salaries of our D.A.s--------700 pages of everything but the kitchen sink!!! If I look it probably does cover somebodies kitchen sink.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/2009/data/acts/09Act28.pdf

This is what it has to do with balancing our budget.

In 2001 taxpayers contributed $423 million dollars to state employee health insurance premiums, while in 2011 taxpayers contributed more than $1 billion dollars.

In 2011, state employees paid $64 million toward their health insurance, or about 5.6% of the total cost. (ETF Health Care Analysis)
From 2001 to 2010 taxpayers spent more than $8 billion dollars on state employee health care coverage—over the same period of time state employees contributed about $398 million. (ETF Health Care Analysis)

Public employers contributed almost $1.37 billion to the state’s pension fund in 2009, while employees contributed about $8 million, or about 0.6%. (LFB paper 84 Wisconsin Retirement System, Table 28)

From 2000 to 2009 taxpayers spent about $12.6 billion on public employee pensions, during the same period public employees contributed $55.4 million. (LFB paper 84 Wisconsin Retirement System, Table 28)

When looking at state operations, state employees account for about 60% of taxpayer cost—77% of state operations for the UW are employees, 70% for corrections, 63% for health services. (State Budget Office Memo 2-9-11)

Wisconsin taxpayers currently make nearly a 100% payment for the employee portion of the public sector pension contribution. Illinois and Indiana taxpayers contribute the entire employee portion as well, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Ohio pay 0% of the employee contribution. (State Budget Office Memo 2-9-11)

http://www.thegovmonitor.com/world_n...its-46426.html
You must not have read today's paper or you would've seen that the unions said yes to the financials of the bill but no to bargaining rights. Walker still said no to that. So just forget the numbers regarding pension & healthcare, they've been agreed to.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:24 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sure it's true. It's also true that 43% are Independents and 8% are Repubs. The TPs like to lump both together, to make it sound as though there is a huge number of Dems in the TP. I don't think I'm the one unalbe to handle the truth, which is that 8% of TP members identify as Democrats. 8%.

Independents can be RW, LW, or anywhere in between.
He seems to forget that many of those Independents may very well have been Repubs but after the Neo-Cons such as Bush messed things up so badly they left the GOP behind and have returned due to the frustrations and with their conception that the Dems are to blame for everything. The TPers can claim they are a Party all they want, no one is buying it except the faithful that already believe the myth to be true. They are a movement within the GOP if they were tuely a Party they would break away from the GOP and form their own Party, we all know why they do not, they don't have the voter base to do it and the GOP would fight them tooth and nail. It is all smoke and mirrors meant to confuse voters, they just don't want anyone to look behind the curtain and see the truth. NOt to worry they are shooting themselves in the foot daily and by the time the elections come around everyone will know who they really are and the GOP will pay the price for taking the path they are on today.
Casper

Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
You must not have read today's paper or you would've seen that the unions said yes to the financials of the bill but no to bargaining rights. Walker still said no to that. So just forget the numbers regarding pension & healthcare, they've been agreed to.
I'm aware of that and collective bargaining HAS TO BE INCLUDED to stop the crap.

Give us what we want or else!!!!!!!!!

Spare me, this is what has been going on for years in Wi.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Welp! It's all over now:

Protests Start For 6th Day At Wisconsin Capitol : NPR

On Sunday, cornerback Charles Woodson, a member of the NFL Players association, became the latest Green Bay Packer to back the public employees' cause. NFL owners and the players' union are locked in their own fight over a collective bargaining agreement. Along with Woodson, seven other current and former Packers have expressed support for the protesters.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
<snip>
When did teachers become so greedy that they put their pay and benefits ahead of teaching students?
<snip>
When people decided it was better to work for money. Even though they have picked a field, that depicts a dedication to the welfare of another human being, they want to get paid, well for the contribution, as well.

Dedicating one's life, should now be compensated and shown appreciated, by how much people in the community and society are willing to pay cash, for that service.

People change and society fuels the change.

We can't go back to the way people use to be and say it's for the better, we must move forward and call it for the good of the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies