Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

This angers me to no end.

Wisconsin Teachers Prove Our Point

Quote:
The Wisconsin Legislature is debating Special Session Senate Bill 11, which would strip government employees of their right to collectively bargain and require them to increase their share of the cost of pension and health benefits.

[LEFT]As Stephen Hayes tweeted this morning, teachers in Wisconsin pay roughly $1100 annually in union dues, but they are somehow opposed to paying a slightly more sane share of the cost of their benefits package. And it's not only the end of union dues that effective and skilled teachers in Wisconsin should be cheering. For years the union has shielded ineffective teachers from termination; on the contrary, it has pushed for pay raises for bad teachers. That drives down the ability to afford higher compensation for the truly transformative and effective educators.[LEFT]

Union Protests Continue, Teachers Call In Sick Opposing WI Gov's Proposals | TPMDC

Quote:

The protests against Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's (R) proposals to roll back public employee unions rights are continuing Wednesday, with schools in the state capital Madison closing as the result of teachers calling in sick en masse.

In Madison, the Wisconsin State Journal reports, School Superintendent Dan Nerad was forced to close the schools today after 40 percent out of 2,600 members of the teachers union called in sick. The teachers' move was spurred by Madison Teachers Inc. executive director John Matthews, who urged members to call in sick and instead attend a rally at the state Capitol.
And then the final act of inappropriateness:

Shocking Vid: Wis. HS Students Admit Teachers Bringing Them to Protests but Don‘t Know Why They’re There | The Blaze

So, basically, the greedy teachers' unions are calling in sick so they can protest at a political rally, leaving the kids twisting in the wind. Some Milwaukee schools are closed today, and for the second day in a row, some schools are closed in Madison. I also heard that one of the universities is having a staff walkout later today...if I was a student there, I would be PO-ed due to having to pay tuition just to have the teacher not show up to make a point.

When did teachers become so greedy that they put their pay and benefits ahead of teaching students? This is a great argument for why 1) public sector employees should not be allowed to form unions and collectively bargain, 2) public schools cannot possibly provide the best education, at least if unions are as controlling as they are here, 3) unions should not be allowed for the "caring professions" like teachers and healthcare workers b/c it's a conflict of interest. It used to be that you take a public sector job or job in a "caring field" BECAUSE YOU CARE about what you're doing (teaching kids, stopping child abuse, helping the elderly, caring for sick people, etc.), not b/c you can make good money at it.

I would have put this in the WI subforum but this is making national news (it was on Fox this morning) and besides, it's an issue that could affect more than just WI if other states/unions follow suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
Maybe teachers need higher pay because lazy parents arent doing their jobs at home? Im so sick of people bashing of teachers when the real problem is parents who care more about watching TV and drinking beer then spending quality time teaching their children.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Yes, this is outrageous. This is why public sector employees should NOT be allowed to unionize. Basically, they don't like having to pay for their own HC and pensions, they can shut down the schools.

I put a call in to the governor, encouraging him not to buckle under the thuggery and intimidation, the lines are very busy.

They are at his residence as well and the "target" districts for closure just happen to be in republican senate/assembly areas.

I believe I read somewhere this "action" is illegal and against their current contract.

It passed the committee, get it done.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Maybe teachers need higher pay because lazy parents arent doing their jobs at home? Im so sick of people bashing of teachers when the real problem is parents who care more about watching TV and drinking beer then spending quality time teaching their children.
I would tend to agree, and I'm not at all bashing teachers in general. But why do teachers need to be paid more for doing the same job they've always done? Aside from cost of living/yearly increases, I see no reason to give higher pay...just like with the private sector. I considered being a teacher in FL when I was working on my degree and the pay isn't all that bad, plus the benefits are good. The whole point of being a teacher, however, is to teach the kids properly. That is what they are being compensated for, and if they're not doing their jobs, they should not have a job, much less get a raise. But this is what unions are doing, protecting horrible teachers and promoting bad behavior just to make another buck. We have totally gotten away from the purpose of public schooling in the first place: to ensure a proper basic education for all.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
States are broke. Yet unions seems to think they are entitled to getting more. To heck with the taxpayers that are making sacrifices and losing their jobs.

If I have cutting back in my own life. Why am I suppose to have to provide for my life and a union members, while the union member doesnt provide more for their own retirement or hc.

I wonder how unions would like it if I demanded they pay for my hc and retirement. I doubt they would like that

Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yes, this is outrageous. This is why public sector employees should NOT be allowed to unionize. Basically, they don't like having to pay for their own HC and pensions, they can shut down the schools.

I put a call in to the governor, encouraging him not to buckle under the thuggery and intimidation, the lines are very busy.

They are at his residence as well and the "target" districts for closure just happen to be in republican senate/assembly areas.

I believe I read somewhere this "action" is illegal and against their current contract.

It passed the committee, get it done.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of sending an email in support of Walker. Part of the problem is that the liberals are upset that Walker even won (and also that Feingold did not get reelected) so they are acting out in any way they can. Budget cuts are a necessity, states have to balance their budgets and I, for one, am glad we now have more responsible folks in office. The tax burden in this state is outrageous, there's no possible way to really increase taxes (not that I would be for that anyway), the only option is to cut spending. The people spoke loud and clear in this last election and what they want is fiscal conservatism.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Looks like the senate democrats will have to be brought back by force;

Senate Dems leaving city to avoid participating in budget vote

Old 02-17-2011, 11:28 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Looks like the senate democrats will have to be brought back by force;

Senate Dems leaving city to avoid participating in budget vote
Do they think they can run for how long? Its not like this is going to magically disappear. The problem is still going to be there.

They are acting like cowards.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Do they think they can run for how long? Its not like this is going to magically disappear. The problem is still going to be there.

They are acting like cowards.
Yes, the police are out now looking for them.

Dems missing from Wis. Capitol ahead of union vote - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110217/ap_on_re_us/us_wisconsin_budget_unions - broken link)

Quote:
MADISON, Wis. – Police officers are looking for Democratic Wisconsin lawmakers who were ordered to attend a vote on a bill that would strip public employees of collective bargaining rights.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
I have no problem with teachers or any employee fighting to keep what they have. But these teachers seem to be a bit unreasonable considering how tight the state budget must be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies