Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 01:21 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,973,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Cutting salaries is one thing and the unions have publicly come out in support for salaries and even benefit cuts but only at the bargaining table. The issue is arbitrarily taking away the unions right to collective bargaining. It's one thing to limit union salaries and benefits it's another thing entirely to smash their ability to represent their membership to management.

Many States are set up like that. The union still exists. The union tries to negotiate salaries and benefits for teachers. The VOTERS get to vote on the final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,771,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
They ran away when the going got tough.
Yeah, that'll show 'em. Turn tail and hide.
This is government in action? Or is this 4th grade?

Wisconsin Democrats Keep on the Move - WSJ.com

With no end to the standoff in sight, Mr. Walker said that if the Democratic senators don't return, he would consider cutting the funding that pays for their staff.

ROFL!

I wonder if people realize our news is World News and this is infantile.

Here's a picture of the protesters.

Nice.

P.S. Next time I protest, I wanna be candy necklace suit guy.
Love it! I think I'm gonna dress like the candy guy next time I want to protest something important like.....a Sopranos movie, or better yet a new ending to Medium. These folks make me laugh.....what a bunch of freeloaders

Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,642,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Many States are set up like that. The union still exists. The union tries to negotiate salaries and benefits for teachers. The VOTERS get to vote on the final decision.
This is true. But the union STILL has the power to negotiate. What the Wisconsin legislature wants to do is take away that power under the guise of budget cuts. Nothing less than smashing the unions. You know it. I know it. and every republican in the room knows it. Repubs have wanted to smash the unions ever since there was one. Now they see their chance under the euphamistic term, "Budget Cutting."

Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,405,802 times
Quote:
The desire of Government employees for fair and adequate pay, reasonable hours of work, safe and suitable working conditions, development of opportunities for advancement, facilities for fair and impartial consideration and review of grievances, and other objectives of a proper employee relations policy, is basically no different from that of employees in private industry. Organization on their part to present their views on such matters is both natural and logical, but meticulous attention should be paid to the special relationships and obligations of public servants to the public itself and to the Government.

All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service...

...Since their own services have to do with the functioning of the Government, a strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent on their part to prevent or obstruct the operations of Government until their demands are satisfied. Such action, looking toward the paralysis of Government by those who have sworn to support it, is unthinkable and intolerable.
Franklin D. Roosevelt: Letter on the Resolution of Federation of Federal Employees Against Strikes in Federal Service

Old 02-19-2011, 01:28 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,825,162 times
Fab14, Go, go, go!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,642,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Love it! I think I'm gonna dress like the candy guy next time I want to protest something important like.....a Sopranos movie, or better yet a new ending to Medium. These folks make me laugh.....what a bunch of freeloaders
Albiet the candy guy is a poor choice of protest but these are not freeloaders. They are middle class American workers.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Albiet the candy guy is a poor choice of protest but these are not freeloaders. They are middle class American workers.

Then they need to get to work....

Old 02-19-2011, 01:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,859,282 times
Quote:
The days that they are calling in sick and attending protests they are commiting fraud and freeloading off of the taxpayer in violation of their own contracts.

Plenty of middle class Americans work, without belonging to unions, and without harming the income of others in the school system. There are plenty of non-unionized "workers" within these closed school districts who are losing income every day that the schools are closed because of the selfish tantrum these unionized teachers are throwing.

Union supporters would like the uniformed public to believe the only workers in the middle class belong to unions. Actually, a minority of the middle class belongs to unions. Unions are killing the jobs of other middle class Americans.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The days that they are calling in sick and attending protests they are commiting fraud and freeloading off of the taxpayer in violation of their own contracts.

Plenty of middle class Americans work, without belonging to unions and without harming the income of others in the school system. There are plenty of non-unionized "workers" within these closed school districts who are losing income every day that the schools are closed because of the selfish tantrum these unionized teachers are throwing.

Exactly.....the days of freebies are coming to an end, thank goodness

Old 02-19-2011, 01:35 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,724,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
LOL--more like told the governor to take a walk, which under the circumstances, I respect. It's about time people in this country started to stand up for what they believe is right, vs. acting like sheep and accepting whatever statehouses and the feds do. I don't agree with lots of things the tea party stands for, but I was always glad that at they showed that there were still American's willing to stand up for what they believe in. This is no different (except for the fact that there are 10x the number of people involved, and the numbers are growing daily). It's about time. I think the R's have finally woke up a sleeping giant--the middle class--and they're TICKED OFF.

Well your right about this. They are ticked off the Dems do not respect their vote. They are ticked teachers are failing our kids yet they want more tax payer money. The Dems are set for an @ss kicking come 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies