Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times

Advertisements

Obama is a thug, plain and simple. This is actually a terriffic thing going on. Independents are seeing blatant undeniable evidence that Obama is a bought and paid for thug supporting special interests and funding union thug rent-a-mob crowds to be bussed in from all over to interfere with state matters. Obama will be going down in 2012, thank god.

I really thought Bush was not a good president, but every day that goes by with Obama in office makes me realize that things weren't so bad when Bush was in office. He did a few stupid things, sure. But even though I thought it was BS previously, I'm starting to see it is true that Obama truly does want to destroy America as much as possible in his 4 years in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He's a Republican Governor..he probably didn't get any union votes before.
Why should that be a threat ? Unions vote Dem.
To win in Wisconsin, he would have had to have received some union votes. He can kiss 'em goodbye!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
To win in Wisconsin, he would have had to have received some union votes. He can kiss 'em goodbye!
Believe it or not, some union members actually realize how out of control union demands have become in light of budget crushing deficits. Some of them see the governor is looking out for the long term viability of the state government. Some of them realize that the budget crisis is going to hurt almost everyone in some manner or another. Some realize that union members will still have it good compared to a lot of other people in the state.

He will recieve "some" union votes. The votes he can kiss goodbye are the votes of the leeches and selfish greedy thugs in the union who make unreasonable demands. That is fine. Republicans aren't trying to win those votes, those belong to the democrats.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Believe it or not, some union members actually realize how out of control union demands have become in light of budget crushing deficits. Some of them see the governor is looking out for the long term viability of the state government. Some of them realize that the budget crisis is going to hurt almost everyone in some manner or another. Some realize that union members will still have it good compared to a lot of other people in the state.

He will recieve "some" union votes. The votes he can kiss goodbye are the votes of the leeches and selfish greedy thugs in the union who make unreasonable demands. That is fine. Republicans aren't trying to win those votes, those belong to the democrats.
I grew up in heavy union country. I know some members are more conservative than the union leadership. However, something probably 99% of union members agree on is the right to collective bargaining, which is really the crux of this matter. I think Walker is screwed with union members.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I grew up in heavy union country. I know some members are more conservative than the union leadership. However, something probably 99% of union members agree on is the right to collective bargaining, which is really the crux of this matter. I think Walker is screwed with union members.
Not all the unions are public employees, Walker's proposal does not affect non public union employees.

If the public unions don't agree to pay for their own benefits rather than holding the taxpayers hostage demanding they pay for them instead, unions will be looking at massive firings. This shows how greedy these thugs are. They KNOW that if the changes aren't made as proposed, the only other option is for people to lose their jobs, and they would rather that happen than to be realistic with their demands.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
You think all union members are lefties? I would think a fair amount appreciate his proposal of allowing them to WORK without having to pay the democrat party in union dues.

26% of voters belong to a union - 37% of those voted for Walker.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2010/res...s/#val=WIG00p2

And really, it's not as if his views and positions weren't known before the election.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Not all the unions are public employees, Walker's proposal does not affect non public union employees.

If the public unions don't agree to pay for their own benefits rather than holding the taxpayers hostage demanding they pay for them instead, unions will be looking at massive firings. This shows how greedy these thugs are. They KNOW that if the changes aren't made as proposed, the only other option is for people to lose their jobs, and they would rather that happen than to be realistic with their demands.
True, but there is a union solidarity that is pretty strong on the right to collective bargaining. That is the crux of unions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You think all union members are lefties? I would think a fair amount appreciate his proposal of allowing them to WORK without having to pay the democrat party in union dues.

26% of voters belong to a union - 37% of those voted for Walker.

Senate, House, Governor Races - Election Center 2010 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

And really, it's not as if his views and positions weren't known before the election.
Q1. No. I already said that. Union members see paying union dues as part of the deal with the unions getting them a good contract, at least as good as they can.

So 1/3 of union voters voted for Walker. They probably thought he was a more moderate Repub, being from Wisconsin. I guess he showed his true colors this past week.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
What? You mean because the President did not send in the NG they do not compare, simplifying the thought process a bit there

YOU just did a complete overhaul of the thought process there.

Most people would have gotten my point immediately, but I have to explain it to you....

You said that what Obama has done is the equivalent of Johnson sending the NG to enforce school desegregation...a LAW.

I said that Obama isn't sending anyone to WI, IN, or OH to UPHOLD any law, but to protest against a proposed law.

What they are doing in Wisconsin isn't against the law. What law have they violated?

Quote:
What some of us do not like about the situation is that collective bargaining is a protected right
It's not a "right". They have the right to form a union.

Quote:
and the Governor is attempting to take that right away, thus neutering the teachers union and in the process doing the same to other unions within the state.
Actually, that's false. It doesn't affect ANY other unions.

Quote:
That said I believe in the right for people to unionize to get their issues addressed from a more powerful postion.
Do you also believe that someone has the right NOT to have to pay union dues if they don't want to?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Thanks, you are one of the few that seem to know what the Real issue is here, the right to bargain collectively, tell union members they can only bargain one what the Repubs will allow is Not collective bargaining.
Casper

Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
United States Code: Title 18,1913. Lobbying with appropriated moneys | LII / Legal Information Institute
Title 18 > Part I > Chapter 93 > Section 1913
§ 1913. Lobbying with appropriated moneys

Title 18 of the US Code as currently published by the US Government reflects the laws passed by Congress as of Feb.1, 2010, and it is this version that is published here.

If Obama or members of his administration were on the taxpayer time or dime in the use of their federal offices and phones in any way communicating the organization or encouragement of these protests against state legislature(s) it is the above Federal Law which they may have violated.
Then you better get on the horn and have them arrested and charged, don't forget that would include ALL members on the House and Senate also, including the Repub/Tpers also, sincethey have ALL done it.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies