Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times

Advertisements

"The Compassion Capital Fund, which distributed $148.3 million from 2002 to 2005, was created "to expand the role that faith-based and community groups play in providing social services to those in need," according to the White House. . . The distribution of new money to conservative organizations is a small part of an estimated flood of $2 billion a year in federal grants to religious and religiously affiliated organizations.. . such as Catholic Charities, the Salvation Army and Lutheran Social Services."

Grants Flow To Bush Allies On Social Issues - washingtonpost.com

The argument we keep hearing about "defunding" Planned Parenthood is, "let charities pick up the slack", or "let major donors pick up the slack."

Okay. I'll see your Planned Parenthood defunding and raise you with The Compassion Capital Fund, Catholic Charities, the Salvation Army, Lutheran Social Services, Heritage Community Services, the Community-Based Abstinence Education grant program ($391.7 million alone), the Door of Hope Pregnancy Care Center, and on and on and on.

I find it outrageous that my tax dollars are going to CHURCHES who preach practices that don't work and to religious organizations that promote junk science.

And we aren't talking chump change here. This isn't the couple hundred million a year that Planned Parenthood gets to assist women of all religions and no religion. This is $2 BILLION A YEAR going to churches and "Faith-based" organizations. That's ten times what Planned Parenthood receives in federal grant monies.

Government shouldn't be in the religion business. Our money should be spent on infrastructure, national defense and non-religious social services.

I look forward to everyone's agreement on the desperate need to cut this unnecessary $2 BILLION A YEAR from our nation's budget. Let churches fundraise on their own and look to "major donors", not handouts from the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,909 times
Jill61...you are making entirely too much sense for this forum. You are obviously a godless commie liberal. :>)
(Taxes are bad! --Unless they go to something I want! Then they are good! Yeah!)

Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
"The Compassion Capital Fund, which distributed $148.3 million from 2002 to 2005, was created "to expand the role that faith-based and community groups play in providing social services to those in need," according to the White House. . . The distribution of new money to conservative organizations is a small part of an estimated flood of $2 billion a year in federal grants to religious and religiously affiliated organizations.. . such as Catholic Charities, the Salvation Army and Lutheran Social Services."

Grants Flow To Bush Allies On Social Issues - washingtonpost.com

The argument we keep hearing about "defunding" Planned Parenthood is, "let charities pick up the slack", or "let major donors pick up the slack."

Okay. I'll see your Planned Parenthood defunding and raise you with The Compassion Capital Fund, Catholic Charities, the Salvation Army, Lutheran Social Services, Heritage Community Services, the Community-Based Abstinence Education grant program ($391.7 million alone), the Door of Hope Pregnancy Care Center, and on and on and on.

I find it outrageous that my tax dollars are going to CHURCHES who preach practices that don't work and to religious organizations that promote junk science.

And we aren't talking chump change here. This isn't the couple hundred million a year that Planned Parenthood gets to assist women of all religions and no religion. This is $2 BILLION A YEAR going to churches and "Faith-based" organizations. That's ten times what Planned Parenthood receives in federal grant monies.

Government shouldn't be in the religion business. Our money should be spent on infrastructure, national defense and non-religious social services.

I look forward to everyone's agreement on the desperate need to cut this unnecessary $2 BILLION A YEAR from our nation's budget. Let churches fundraise on their own and look to "major donors", not handouts from the government.
I agree 100%.

Now what?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
So in your logic, "providing social services to those in need" is on the same level as providing abortions to those who can't seem to take responsibility for their own sex drive?

I know PP does other things too, but they charge for abortions on the other side.. They won't fold without federal money and they were not doing the greatest job of PROTECTING WOMEN all in the name of "tolerance". No child should be able to get an abortion and allow some predator to escape the law!

I'm not anti-abortion and I'm an Atheist......but those faith based organizations always seem to do much more with way less than other entities can accomplish.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

I agree 100%.

Now what?
We sing kumbaya. Now call your representative, please. Thank you for your consistency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post

So in your logic, "providing social services to those in need" is on the same level as providing abortions to those who can't seem to take responsibility for their own sex drive?
Federal tax dollars don't go to provide abortion services.
Quote:

I know PP does other things too, but they charge for abortions on the other side.. They won't fold without federal money and they were not doing the greatest job of PROTECTING WOMEN all in the name of "tolerance". No child should be able to get an abortion and allow some predator to escape the law!
Churches (especially the Catholic Church!) won't shut their doors without federal money, either. Nor do they do the greatest job of protecting anyone, female or male.
Quote:

I'm not anti-abortion and I'm an Atheist......but those faith based organizations always seem to do much more with way less than other entities can accomplish.
Do much more what? Do you have a cite for that? And why does that entitle them to my tax dollars to the tune of $2 BILLION a YEAR when our country is sinking in debt?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Federal tax dollars don't go to provide abortion services.
You are smart enough to realize that the money gets co-mingled.

Quote:
Churches (especially the Catholic Church!) won't shut their doors without federal money, either.
No, they won't, but they may not be able to provide the help for the truly needy and to places like Haiti, etc.

Quote:
Nor do they do the greatest job of protecting anyone, female or male.
They aren't in the protection business either. They are getting these funds to help the needy.

Quote:
Do much more what? Do you have a cite for that? And why does that entitle them to my tax dollars to the tune of $2 BILLION a YEAR when our country is sinking in debt?
I'm an Atheist, but that doesn't mean I have no compassion for people who really need help, often through no fault of their own. When I donate, I donate to these faith-based organizations because they aren't corrupt and they seem to provide more help with less money than other charities. Your dollars help more people through them.

Catholic Charities and other similar faith based entities were there to help Haitians, hurricane victims, flood victims, fire victims and all sorts of things including food kitchens, warm places to sleep, jackets in the cold, and rescue missions.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
No way you can compare this to Planned Parenthood, who many times, turned a blind eye to the sexual abuse of minors.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Calm down people. Maybe someone should have looked past 2005 ?
Save your emails and go back and hunt for some more programs to cut.
But this time see if they are still being funded please ?

https://www.cfda.gov/?s=program&mode...0b9aff844385e2
" This program did not receive funding in FY 2010 and no funding was requested in FY 2011.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 PM

Jill61,

I understand you're upset about this and I think your motives are good. I saw your other posts on this topic and you make sense.

I'm not anti-Planned Parenthood....honestly.

But I really was disgusted to see those videos. I know they fired the people involved. But then I also read about a lady who was once the head of a PP and she did say they've gone SO far into this idea of complete tolerance that they aren't protecting women the way they should be. I really worry for teenage girls especially. Certainly these things bother you as well.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Calm down people. Maybe someone should have looked past 2005 ?
Save your emails and go back and hunt for some more programs to cut.
But this time see if they are still being funded please ?

https://www.cfda.gov/?s=program&mode...0b9aff844385e2
" This program did not receive funding in FY 2010 and no funding was requested in FY 2011.

Well there ya go.....one crisis averted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies