Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Blacks vote for Obama
Yes He deserve another term! 22 44.00%
No I'm voting Republican 14 28.00%
Screw it I'm Not Voting at all. 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times

Advertisements

Yes they will. And of course that won't be considered "racist." Yet, if whites were to vote for Mitt Romney or Sarah Palin (*shudders*) over Obama in the same percentages as black did for Obama, (a) Obama would lose but more importantly (b) they would be considered "racist."

I have seen this firsthand at the local level in Atlanta. During 2009, the mayoral race for the city was rocked when Mary Norwood (white) was leading in all the polls vs. all the other candidates (black). This was especially startling considering that Atlanta has had a black mayor since the early 1970s and the city has a black majority (60/40 split, roughly). However, the key is that in recent years more white migration and gentrification has lowered the black majority and so the threat to the mayoral office was taken very seriously. So much so that one candidate sent out letters to predominately-black neighborhoods, intimidating them and calling them traitors if they turned around and supported Norwood.

On Election Day, Norwood received the largest share of the votes but fell short of the 50+1 majority needed, throwing the race into a runoff against Kasim Reed. Reed and his campaign did everything they could to attack Norwood, calling her a "Republican" (note: there were no political affiliations for the mayoral race). The GA Democratic Party did all they could to link Norwood to the "hate-filled people" that also voted for John McCain. In the runoff, it was almost unreal for me to see the returns maps. Districts that were highly black went for Reed by huge margins. The northern, more affluent, more white districts voted more for Norwood. In the end, the vote split almost on the demographic percentage and Kasim Reed won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 03:32 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Yes they will. And of course that won't be considered "racist." Yet, if whites were to vote for Mitt Romney or Sarah Palin (*shudders*) over Obama in the same percentages as black did for Obama, (a) Obama would lose but more importantly (b) they would be considered "racist.".
Only to the media. I hate to beak it to you guys but I doubt the majority of black people aren't spending their time running around worrying about what motivates white people to do the things they do.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:34 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
There are a few interesting Black Candidates/Minority Candidates on the Republican side if Race is a big factor.
That's ludicrous...GOP black candidates would be even more harmful to black interests.

What will happen is that blacks will not turn out like they did in 08 because Obama has been unwilling to fight for their interests....but they have nowhere to turn..the GOP is awful on black issues.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That's ludicrous...GOP black candidates would be even more harmful to black interests.

What will happen is that blacks will not turn out like they did in 08 because Obama has been unwilling to fight for their interests....but they have nowhere to turn..the GOP is awful on black issues.
what a wonderful 2party system we have

Old 03-06-2011, 06:53 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Default Count on it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Yes they will. And of course that won't be considered "racist." Yet, if whites were to vote for Mitt Romney or Sarah Palin (*shudders*) over Obama in the same percentages as black did for Obama, (a) Obama would lose but more importantly (b) they would be considered "racist."

I have seen this firsthand at the local level in Atlanta. During 2009, the mayoral race for the city was rocked when Mary Norwood (white) was leading in all the polls vs. all the other candidates (black). This was especially startling considering that Atlanta has had a black mayor since the early 1970s and the city has a black majority (60/40 split, roughly). However, the key is that in recent years more white migration and gentrification has lowered the black majority and so the threat to the mayoral office was taken very seriously. So much so that one candidate sent out letters to predominately-black neighborhoods, intimidating them and calling them traitors if they turned around and supported Norwood.

On Election Day, Norwood received the largest share of the votes but fell short of the 50+1 majority needed, throwing the race into a runoff against Kasim Reed. Reed and his campaign did everything they could to attack Norwood, calling her a "Republican" (note: there were no political affiliations for the mayoral race). The GA Democratic Party did all they could to link Norwood to the "hate-filled people" that also voted for John McCain. In the runoff, it was almost unreal for me to see the returns maps. Districts that were highly black went for Reed by huge margins. The northern, more affluent, more white districts voted more for Norwood. In the end, the vote split almost on the demographic percentage and Kasim Reed won.

If I recall correctly, 90-95% of the registered Black vote voted for Obama in the last election. 90-95%. Probably the highest in history. In the end, it appears that nothing has changed.....Blacks tend to vote for Blacks and Whites tend to vote for Whites, however, it is ironic that it was Whites that carried him into office. Specifically, Hillary's edge votes in Southern Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky. Doubtful that they will do it again.

Regardless of whether 100% of the registered voters vote for him, he can't win without a fair amount of White and Hispanic voters. It's mathematically impossible. You would think he would be trying to court that vote as the African American vote is a lock. He could perform as poorly as Marion Barry at this point and not lose the Black vote. I believe his latest moves to appear more in the center are being done for that reason and that reason alone. Any promises or dreams anyone from the African American community thought were in serious run for his attention are on the back burner. He has to find a way to get some votes out of the middle block to even have a chance based on the results in the first 2 years.

Best guess? He loses and he loses big. The Dem's would be better served finding a new horse to run. This one has truly polarized race relations and again, ironic, as they whites that were/are on the fence are probably going to error on the side of caution...so to speak.....The Senate is the only thing in real question. Newt Gingrich has a shot now and that will cement those on the right. The young man from PA has a chance as well. Not sure what Mitt Romney will be doing but, the Republicans are starting to mobilize with feasible candidates.

Those that were on the fence for Hillary are going to probably go to the Republicans this time. Even the tea party will capitulate when they are in the booth and selections are being made. We are seeing glimpses of what's coming up for the election next year. Not sure how ugly it's going to get on both sides but, it's safe to say the election will be highly charged.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
I'll probably vote for him, not because he's black, but because I don't support the Republican/conservative/right-wing agenda. I personally wish he wouldn't run again; he's been a real disappointment.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Democrats for the last 30 years have been unwilling to fight for the interests of the black community, nothing changed when Obama won in 2008.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:47 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Democrats for the last 30 years have been unwilling to fight for the interests of the black community, nothing changed when Obama won in 2008.
Democrats have never been willing to fight for the interests of blacks.. and I doubt it will ever happen

Old 03-07-2011, 05:57 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
If I recall correctly, 90-95% of the registered Black vote voted for Obama in the last election. 90-95%. Probably the highest in history. In the end, it appears that nothing has changed.....Blacks tend to vote for Blacks and Whites tend to vote for Whites, however, it is ironic that it was Whites that carried him into office. Specifically, Hillary's edge votes in Southern Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky. Doubtful that they will do it again.

Regardless of whether 100% of the registered voters vote for him, he can't win without a fair amount of White and Hispanic voters. It's mathematically impossible. You would think he would be trying to court that vote as the African American vote is a lock. He could perform as poorly as Marion Barry at this point and not lose the Black vote. I believe his latest moves to appear more in the center are being done for that reason and that reason alone. Any promises or dreams anyone from the African American community thought were in serious run for his attention are on the back burner. He has to find a way to get some votes out of the middle block to even have a chance based on the results in the first 2 years.

Best guess? He loses and he loses big. The Dem's would be better served finding a new horse to run. This one has truly polarized race relations and again, ironic, as they whites that were/are on the fence are probably going to error on the side of caution...so to speak.....The Senate is the only thing in real question. Newt Gingrich has a shot now and that will cement those on the right. The young man from PA has a chance as well. Not sure what Mitt Romney will be doing but, the Republicans are starting to mobilize with feasible candidates.

Those that were on the fence for Hillary are going to probably go to the Republicans this time. Even the tea party will capitulate when they are in the booth and selections are being made. We are seeing glimpses of what's coming up for the election next year. Not sure how ugly it's going to get on both sides but, it's safe to say the election will be highly charged.
I guess you haven't been reading much of the polling information lately. President Obama matches up favorably against just about everybody the Republicans currently have as presidential hopefuls. In fact the reluctance of people like Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin, or Mike Huckabee to declare their presidential candidacy is an indication is that they really aren't eager to face the possibility of getting beat by President Obama in an election.

After all why run if you don't think you can win?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Democrats have never been willing to fight for the interests of blacks.. and I doubt it will ever happen
I guess in your world of distorted reality that's may be true.

Just give us a call when the Republican propose a program to reviive inner-city neighborhoods or programs specifically aimed at improving access to education for ALL poor people regardless of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies