Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Enlighten me and stop berating me by trying to turn a man against women's rights. My claim all along has been that being dressed to avoid and evade a potential attacker (be it to steal money, rape, kill, whatever) requires one to be able to walk quickly, run, and blend in if necessary. I never even addressed the issue of whether it's primarily a sexual or power drive, except to say that it's primarily a power issue. Though, women in their sexual prime, college age, are 4 times more likely to be raped, according to RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network). So I'm skeptical of assertions that rape has nothing to do with sexual appeal. I'd have to see more research.

So, tell me where I ever strayed from that point or how that point of taking common sense approaches to safety could possibly be inaccurate.
Thanks for blaming the victim once again.
Her clothing doesn't matter. Period.
No caveats, no qualifiers, a woman is never responsible for being raped.
Period.
Now you're making even more excuses for yourself.
A woman never, under any circumstances, has any part of any responsibility for being raped.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
There's no one on here arguing against that point.
Yes, there is.
Someone said, I'm a man, I have lust. It was wellyouknow.
Another discussed Lindsey Lohan.
Even women on this thread are blaming women.

Under no circumstances does a woman bear responsibility for being raped.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,775,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Do you think women are taking too little responsibility to decrease their chances of being raped?

I was reading a news article and a police officer was reprimanded for advising women to dress less provocatively.

The second paragraph seems to be to indicate that rape is inevitable and that there nothing women can do to avoid it.

It makes no sense. No one deserves anything bad to happen but there's always ways to decrease one's risk. It seems that everytime we give advice to women regarding rape, people will always claim that "we're blaming the victim".

An inproperly parked car doesn't deserve to be scraped, but that doesn't mean that I have no responsibility in parking it properly. You can argue that a drunk, alone, and provocatively dressed women have the right to walk home at 12AM. But, would you want your daughter to do that? Wouldn't you tell her to be more sober and take the taxi home?

Toronto police officer’s sex-assault remarks prompt reprimand - The Globe and Mail
I wonder how these officers are qualified if they're this out of touch with the criminal mind. Let them explain how an elderly woman in her home was in any way being provocative. Rape is about domination, not about sexual pleasure. This isn't about attraction, it's about seeking out weakness. Women who are conditioned to think of themselves as defenseless are the dinner bell call for predators. Not the color dress they were wearing. The only responsibility women can take is learning how to defend themselves and not wait for a guy on a white horse to show up. These Disney notions are deadly to women.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:36 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
There is no way to minimize the risk.
There seems to be a misguided consensus on here that if people are going to be raped, there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. For whatever reason, women seem to have an aggressive response to anyone who suggests otherwise. Without inviting a barage of feminist assault on me, for I certainly consider myself a feminist in the most progressive sense, I just want to say that having many female friends and family, such concession to victimhood bothers me. It does not mean any victim is responsible for being raped or murdered or robbed or beaten.

I would like to repost RAINN's (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network) "Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Sexual Assault". I hope you all read through these suggestions from the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization and start being more proactive in minimizing your own risk rather than accepting such attacks as inevitable, as the above poster suggests. Yes, there will always be tragic stories of the 80 year old assaulted while watching TV, but those are outliers, as other women have pointed out on here.
Ways to Reduce your Risk of Sexual Assault | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

I also found this summary of research into the mind of a rapist a little disturbing. Not really sure what to make of it:
New Studies Map the Mind of the Rapist - NYTimes.com
Quote:
Dr. Barbaree sees this line of research as refuting the scientific theory that had seen rapists as unique in having a sexual preference for combining violence and sexual arousal. "With the right combination of factors, most men can be aroused by violent sex," Dr. Barbaree said.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:39 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Period.
A woman never, under any circumstances, has any part of any responsibility for being raped.
I disagree. What is the purpose of dressing up in a skimpy outfit and hitting the bars if not specifically to get laid? Not necessarily as a rape but WHY ACT THIS WAY?

I've seen women like that, and while I'd personally never take advantage of them, they are sad cases and practically inviting to be exploited sexually.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:43 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
I disagree. What is the purpose of dressing up in a skimpy outfit and hitting the bars if not specifically to get laid? Not necessarily as a rape but WHY ACT THIS WAY?

I've seen women like that, and while I'd personally never take advantage of them, they are sad cases and practically inviting to be exploited sexually.
Un-effing-believable. No woman asks for rape.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
The only responsibility women can take is learning how to defend themselves and not wait for a guy on a white horse to show up. These Disney notions are deadly to women.
There are multiple responsibilites for anyone in these situations -- male or female. Among them are using common sense and not getting drunk and/or stoned and going home with strangers. Another is not venturing out alone in a strange place at night. A third might be admitting one`s own culpability for ignoring the first two.

And, while it might not make sense to wait for a guy on a white horse to show up, remembering that such guys do exist is as important to one`s sanity as understanding that they cannot be everywhere at once...

Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Period.
I'm really tired of this childish assault on me. I've never once blamed the victim. If you want to have a mature conversation and, as I requested, provide evidence for your claims against me, I would be happy to reconsider. I truly don't understand your point and all you do is attack me.

You and others have made me reconsider my active support of feminism. As it is, I stand with RAINN in supporting people being proactive in minimizing their risk of attack.

And, yes, I forgot about WellYouKnow's position. Sadly, you seem to mix me up with him.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 AM

Default Pssst, misogynist post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post

So you're saying that it's always a woman's fault for being raped because other men, of course not you, can't handle themselves. If so, then men shouldn't leave the house and spend any time in public.

This post is condescending and misogynistic.
It assumes that women are whores.

RAPE IS RAPE.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I'm really tired of this childish assault on me. I've never once blamed the victim. If you want to have a mature conversation and, as I requested, provide evidence for your claims against me, I would be happy to reconsider. I truly don't understand your point and all you do is attack me.

You and others have made me reconsider my active support of feminism. As it is, I stand with RAINN in supporting people being proactive in minimizing their risk of attack.
You're posting out of both sides of your mouth, it's condescending.
Do we really need to have such "support"?
BTW, feminism is simply about equality, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.