Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 PM

256 posts, read 216,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
LOL, I guess one of the things you weren't doing was reading the link in the OP.

From the link.

"We re-read the fiscal bureau memo, talked to Lang, consulted reporter Jason Stein of the Journal Sentinel’s Madison Bureau, read various news accounts and examined the issue in detail.

Our conclusion: Maddow and the others are wrong."

I kind of think you do need to be spoon fed.
Nope, I read the link. It seems to me that the report is unclear as to what it stated (i.e. seemingly stating that there is a surplus while not really meaning that), otherwise Polifact would not have needed to pursue so many different avenues to get a clarification. Exactly what did Lang and Stein say about it? And where did their information come from?

Let me posit a hypothetical situation for you. If another site came along and claimed to have done their own analysis and examination of the issue, and then proclaimed that Polifact was incorrect in their assessment, who do you believe at that point? Do you continue to believe Polifact? Or do you sit back and say, "Hmmm... What's going on here?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 PM

Now that I've actually read the report, it does seem to me that it states that from July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011 there is an expectation of a budget surplus of over $120 million. Not only that, but the administration report (which I gather is the same information prepared by the governor's office) seems to also show a surplus for that same time period, but the surplus would be less than $70 million.

There is language in the report that indicates that there are possible shortfalls not covered in the estimates, but it isn't clear if those shortfalls will actually happen or not - lots of wishy-washy language being used. If those shortfalls were to come to pass then there may not be a surplus at all.

I don't know. Maddow says that the report calls for a surplus, and on the face of it, it does. Does that mean that the report tells the whole story? Nope. Does that mean that Maddow didn't twist the facts for her benefit? Nope. But did she lie? Not so far as I can tell. The report seems to say what she said it did.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:58 PM

36 posts, read 25,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/...ve-budget-sur/

So says crack reporter, Maddow.

The truth;

Maddow AND the Left, of course.
Yeah I actually saw this when she announced it as, although I'm more liberal, I was still like uhh what the hell is she talking about? ahaha oh Cable news

Old 02-20-2011, 04:52 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/...ve-budget-sur/

So says crack reporter, Maddow.

The truth;

Maddow AND the Left, of course.
MSNBC should kick this Maddow guy off the air.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:09 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Maddow figured that none of her viewers were smart enough to figure that out. Remember, if you disagree with her in the slightest you're not a real liberal.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:22 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,365,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Maddow figured that none of her viewers were smart enough to figure that out. Remember, if you disagree with her in the slightest you're not a real liberal.
Sad thing is his viewers believe him without doing research.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
Nope, I read the link. It seems to me that the report is unclear as to what it stated (i.e. seemingly stating that there is a surplus while not really meaning that), otherwise Polifact would not have needed to pursue so many different avenues to get a clarification. Exactly what did Lang and Stein say about it? And where did their information come from?

Let me posit a hypothetical situation for you. If another site came along and claimed to have done their own analysis and examination of the issue, and then proclaimed that Polifact was incorrect in their assessment, who do you believe at that point? Do you continue to believe Polifact? Or do you sit back and say, "Hmmm... What's going on here?"
Too funny you refuse to read the link. Poliifacts research is not opinion, it is fact. It is t possible to come to another conclusion. She's wrong, you're wrong, just admit it.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Of of course! Right wingers only cite the CBO when it helps their arguments.

The CBO overestimated the 2009 budget deficit , initially helping the right wing argument.

The CBO overestimated the cost of the bank bailout, initially helping the right wing argument.

But here.....since they have something that conflicts with your ideology...they're not to be trusted.
I do not and have never trusted or put any weight into anything that comes or came from the CBO under any administration. Try again.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Too funny you refuse to read the link. Poliifacts research is not opinion, it is fact. It is t possible to come to another conclusion. She's wrong, you're wrong, just admit it.
Have you read the report? It sounds as though you are making a decision based on blind faith and pure hatred for anything liberal.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
Have you read the report? It sounds as though you are making a decision based on blind faith and pure hatred for anything liberal.
Have you?

http://politifact.com/wisconsin/stat...ve-budget-sur/

http://static.politifact.com.s3.amaz...Ftom-false.gif

Surely you can't quibble with the FACTS can you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies