Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:32 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times

Advertisements

I'm an atheist and as odd as it may sound to some, quite conservative. In fact I lean a bit toward anarchy. I don't worship ANY gods whether they be some bearded dude in the sky or a political ideology and even if you were to conclusively prove one actually existed and wielded any power over me, I still wouldn't fall to my knees.

I don't watch TV. Since as an Atheist I've been invited to watch the show, if someone provides me a link to the specific episode (and not some edited version) I promise to watch it at my leisure; I however don't feel compelled to actually go out and search for it so unless someone makes it easy for me by providing a link, I won't.

I seriously doubt I'll be swayed in the slightest but I am always willing to listen to a different point of view.....'less o'course I have somethin' better to do.:
I've never actually seen more than small clips of Glen Beck so it could be fun. I'll try almost anything once. I usually delete subscription to threads once I lose interest but to give time for someone to post a link (or DM it to me) I'll check back here for a couple days before I unsubscribe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 11:24 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
All of that was taken out of context.

I will not discuss this with you unless you watch at least a single one-hour Beck clip that I post and you prove that you watched it.

Sincerely,
roysoldboy
Do you open your neighbor's mail when it ends up in on your front stoop too?

How absolutely ****ing rude and immature of you to post in the name of roysoldboy.

Don't respond if your best is a youtube clip.

Don't you think that someone who has lived through a lot more than you ever have may just have a clue your obvious behind does not?

Not everything is obvious, Cappy.

If it were, Obama never would have been elected to begin with.

Last edited by Informed Info; 02-19-2011 at 11:35 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
If everyone is so predictable, why do you keep making these kinds of posts and threads? If you know what is going to be said, then aren't you just trolling?
Oh come on. Someone who makes a pro-gay marriage or anti-abortion thread doesn't already KNOW what kind of responses will be received?

Quote:
Seems that people are telling you over and over that they just simply aren't interested in Glenn Beck's views. What's wrong with that?
Because so many liberals hate and **** off without knowing what they hate and **** off against.

Quote:
If someone were nagging you to watch Keith Olbermann when he was on the air, and they insisted that Olbermann was saying things of critical importance to you, how long would you have watched Olbermann? Every night? I think NOT.
How many anti-Beck threads have been started by folks who don't watch? Probably about 98%. They just pick a little liberal outrage against him up on NPR or some liberal website and find a youtube clip to go along with why they don't like Beck.

If you wanted to hate while being INFORMED about why you hate what you hate...you'd have more than a youtube Rachel Madcow clip, a liberal website quote..etc., to counter with.

Simple.

"You" meaning "in general" not poster specific.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Oh come on. Someone who makes a pro-gay marriage or anti-abortion thread doesn't already KNOW what kind of responses will be received?

Because so many liberals hate and **** off without knowing what they hate and **** off against.

How many anti-Beck threads have been started by folks who don't watch? Probably about 98%. They just pick it up on NPR or some liberal website and find a youtube clip to go along with why they don't like Beck.

If you wanted to hate while being INFORMED about why you hate what you hate...you'd have more than a youtube Rachel Madcow clip, a liberal website quote..etc.

Simple.
I've watched Glenn Beck. I can't stand him. My dad is a conservative mormon who lives in Utah and doesn't like Glenn Beck. Glenn Beck is an entertainer and he makes his money by being a jerk. I have political opinions and I tend to be more liberal (though there are issues that I am conservative on) but I find I can have reasonable and mature discussions with adults who are willing to discuss the issues. Glenn Beck has no desire to have a discussion, the idea of compromise is lost on him. He believes that his opinions are the only right opinions and he is so incredibly hateful and mean towards those who have different viewpoints than him that it's really just childish.

I've watched his show several times and I've seen him have these massive melt downs that, while entertaining, are still slightly disturbing. These are the same reasons my conservative dad doesn't like him. He makes politics more of a circus and more of a joke than it already is, if he was truly concerned about the future of this country then he'd stop being an entertainer and become an actual political analyst who can discuss his political opinions like a grown up.

I've seen Maddow and Olbermann too... but in general I have just stopped watching the TV for my news. I don't like how they try and tell me how I should think or how I should feel and I think there's a serious lack of sourcing their information.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I've watched Glenn Beck. I can't stand him. My dad is a conservative mormon who lives in Utah and doesn't like Glenn Beck. Glenn Beck is an entertainer and he makes his money by being a jerk. I have political opinions and I tend to be more liberal (though there are issues that I am conservative on) but I find I can have reasonable and mature discussions with adults who are willing to discuss the issues. Glenn Beck has no desire to have a discussion, the idea of compromise is lost on him. He believes that his opinions are the only right opinions and he is so incredibly hateful and mean towards those who have different viewpoints than him that it's really just childish.

I've watched his show several times and I've seen him have these massive melt downs that, while entertaining, are still slightly disturbing. These are the same reasons my conservative dad doesn't like him. He makes politics more of a circus and more of a joke than it already is, if he was truly concerned about the future of this country then he'd stop being an entertainer and become an actual political analyst who can discuss his political opinions like a grown up.

I've seen Maddow and Olbermann too... but in general I have just stopped watching the TV for my news. I don't like how they try and tell me how I should think or how I should feel and I think there's a serious lack of sourcing their information.
Have you EVER seen an "adult" conversation on CD with respect to Glenn Beck? I haven't.

More people take Jon Stewart literally and use his show as a source of "news" with all the "entertainment" factor he's purposely got going on rather than facts.

Jon Stewart and his followers are more disturbing to me than Beck will ever be. JS's followers can't seem to decipher fact from fiction from ENTERTAINMENT from bias.

And exactly how does Jon-boy treat those he doesn't really like? Yeah. No RESPECT. Now there's a circus. Just in a different form. And Maher? Please. He's the most disrespectful, filling the seats with his ilk, "political" commentator out there.

Go figure.

But start a Jon Stewart/Bill Maher thread...buck up and pay attention b/c apparently there is something to be LEARNED!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:56 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
I've tried watching Beck recently but can't take more than 10 minutes of his rambling.

It's sad that Beck fans can't summarize the point of a Beck show in a short post and can only point to an hour long video and say figure it out for yourself. Even Beck fans can't make sense of his shows but somehow they come away feeling enlightened. You can get the same brain rush by drinking a couple of beers.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Have you EVER seen an "adult" conversation on CD with respect to Glenn Beck? I haven't.

More people take Jon Stewart literally and use his show as a source of "news" with all the "entertainment" factor he's purposely got going on than not.

Jon Stewart and his followers are more disturbing to me than Beck will ever be. JS's followers can't seem to decipher fact from fiction from ENTERTAINMENT from bias.

And exactly how does Jon-boy treat those he doesn't really like? Yeah. No RESPECT. Now there's a circus. Just in a different form. And Maher? Please. He's the most disrespectful, filling the seats with his ilk "political" commentator out there.

Go figure.

But start a Jon Stewart thread...buck up and pay attention b/c apparently the man is a political guru.
Jon Stewart is funny and he doesn't want people taking him literally. If people choose to, he can't stop that, but he also makes it a point to clearly illustrate that he is an entertainer. However, your argument that Stewart's followers are more disturbing than Beck's is completely ridiculous. Case in point - compare the video and photo's of Beck's rally to those at Stewart and Colbert's.

Jon has repeatedly invited and spoken to those he's disagreed with, he'll even point out hypocritical liberals. Jon has had numerous conservatives on his show and the interviews have always been respectful. Meanwhile, didn't Beck have a liberal politician on his show that was upset with Democrats, but when he didn't support Beck's POV on his show he apologized (in front of the politician) for wasting everyone's time simply because the politician didn't say what Beck wanted him to say? (Ya... that was actually one of the episodes I caught.)

But as I already pointed out, I don't watch the TV for my news. I think they're all a bunch of entertainers and that people (like you) are taking them far too seriously. Whether it's Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, Glenn Beck, or Bill O'Reilly doesn't matter to me, they're all in the entertainment business and their #1 priority is making money, not informing the masses.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I've tried watching Beck recently but can't take more than 10 minutes of his rambling.

It's sad that Beck fans can't summarize the point of a Beck show in a short post and can only point to an hour long video and say figure it out for yourself. Even Beck fans can't make sense of his shows but somehow they come away feeling enlightened. You can get the same brain rush by drinking a couple of beers.
Don't even try to twist it.

People who don't watch Beck for whatever their "poor me, I can't get through it" reasoning, shouldn't comment on any Beck post or start one.

What exactly do you (in general, not you specific) have to say other than "I can't watch it b/c I don't want to know what he has to say". First hand experience? Ya got none. The party of "open" is soooo closed.

What do you have to say about a book you never read? "Uh, it's stupid b/c I couldn't get past the first 20 pages and the party I side with hates the book? So I'm gonna get their Cliff Notes on it" ?

Keep drinking beer through a straw.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Don't even try to twist it.

People who don't watch Beck for whatever their "poor me, I can't get through it" reasoning, shouldn't comment on any Beck post or start one.

What exactly do you (in general) have to say other than "I can't watch it b/c I don't want to know what he has to say". Nothing.

What do you have to say about a book you never read? "Uh, it's stupid b/c I couldn't get past the first 20 pages and the party I side with hates the book? So I'm gonna get their Cliff Notes on it" ?

Keep drinking beer through a straw.
What right do you have to tell someone that they shouldn't be able to voice their opinion about Beck? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they shouldn't have a right to voice it.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:14 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:

More people take Jon Stewart literally and use his show as a source of "news" with all the "entertainment" factor he's purposely got going on rather than facts.

And exactly how does Jon-boy treat those he doesn't really like? Yeah. No RESPECT. Now there's a circus. Just in a different form. And Maher? Please. He's the most disrespectful, filling the seats with his ilk, "political" commentator out there.

Go figure.

But start a Jon Stewart/Bill Maher thread...buck up and pay attention b/c apparently there is something to be LEARNED!
Well, Bill Maher's pretty biased. I don't give him a lot of credence. But the reason people support Jon Stewart is because, while certainly going for the joke, when he's making a serious point he simply outs people using their own hypocritical words back on themselves. They may have made two completely contradictory statements 3 months apart, but Stewart, more diligent than the real media, will find them. He's earned trust and respects those with whom he disagrees.

Very different from Beck (who has been outed many times on Stewart's show as a liar and hypocrite).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies