Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,431,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
we're all in this together people. please stop arguing amongst ourselves. unions need to stick together. if a cop makes enough money to retire at 44 congrats to you! have a nice summer teachers! like i said if we don't get the money it'll be lining the pockets of the rich instead.
The "rich" provide jobs...oh wait you want everyone to work for the guv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 AM

660 posts, read 1,653,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninintothevoid View Post
Wisconsin isn't about the benefit cuts, its about the removal of collective bargaining agreements on all unions that didn't support the Governor's campaign.

Correction: The Police Union did not support the Governor and they are exempt from this law.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Since you are obviously an expert

Thank you.

I've taught science in a large urban public HS for the past 17 years. Prior to that, I worked in private industry for about the same length of time. And going way back, I served as an officer in the military.

And all that may not make me an expert, but I certainly have some insight into the situation.

Quote:
Maybe you can explain why teachers are immune to the effects of a poor economy and incompetency (tenure), when those who pay their salary are not?
Of course I can.

First off, your statement, "why teachers are immune to the effects of a poor economy and incompetency" is simply incorrect, for starters.

Here in my district, we've been cutting back on expenses for the past five years. Teachers have been given a bigger workload (more classes and less prep time) and forced to accept cutbacks in pay and benefits. Classroom materials have been severely limited. Much of this goes back prior to the 2008 economic collapse.

Of course, these facts aren't widely reported. It's much more politically acceptable these days to attack the public schools and gripe endlessly about how teachers and even college professors are a bunch of pampered idiots.

Again, I invite any of you doubters to become teachers and enjoy life on the gravy train.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times
I never understood why people bash teachers. It's funny because it's these same people who are okay with private business and want less taxes for the wealthy that have benefited immensely from quality public education and other government programs. I don't get it. I do, however, think it's sad.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 AM

660 posts, read 1,653,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post

First off, your statement, "why teachers are immune to the effects of a poor economy and incompetency" is simply incorrect, for starters.

Here in my district, we've been cutting back on expenses for the past five years. Teachers have been given a bigger workload (more classes and less prep time) and forced to accept cutbacks in pay and benefits.

With all due respect, the problems are in other places than your district.

You and other teachers have bargained in good faith with the school district and have worked together - being understanding of hard times.

The teachers in Wisconsin haven't. They were given a 3% pay RAISE this year. Those contracts will still be honored until it runs out.

Objectively, there comes a point where the taxpayers simply cannot afford it.

I posted a true story that I'd love to get your input on:

A True Story - Look For The Union Label

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Lightbulb It's not hard to understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I never understood why people bash teachers. It's funny because it's these same people who are okay with private business and want less taxes for the wealthy that have benefited immensely from quality public education and other government programs. I don't get it. I do, however, think it's sad.

To a certain political demographic, teachers are an overpaid, underworked bunch of "libs" and public schools should be privatized. The fact that privatization has never worked doesn't register. They've been told by radio jocks that "it's the answer" so that's what they'll run with.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Its time the Teachers on LI need to give back some of the ridiculous perks they have gained over the years.We the home owners can no longer afford the real estate tax burden we carry.Wisconsin is just the tip of the ice burg we need to get real here in NY.MO

The time for unions to quit expecting special treatment just because they are "union" is coming to a close. It must really suck to be union right now, being brought into a world where your half-fast job performance is loosing protection, a world that promotes production and not procrastination, a world that rewards “exceeded expectations” and FIRES corporate/company dead beats. Take your medicine, dry your eyes and get back to work we aren’t paying you “wanna-be” teachers to cry, we pay you to teach! Its the peoples money that pays you not "The MAN's" .

Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
It's always so amusing to me that education is usually the first thing on the chopping block when it comes to cutting. Several of my friends are teachers and none of them are living the "good life". Most of the them work 2nd jobs year round and teach summer school if there's a position available.

I find my local government pathetic. They sunk millions into the Arena for the Orlando Magic, which is now proving to be a huge mistake as almost every major tour has bypassed us for Tampa, Miami or Jacksonville and now they're going back and forth about how many millions they're going to use to rebuild our football stadium (even though we don't even have a football team) and to build a Performing Arts center while in the same breath they are cutting the schools down to the quick.

Apparently in Orlando, it's more important to be entertained then educated.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
With all due respect, the problems are in other places than your district.
As I understand it, the problems my district faces are far from unique and probably apply to most districts across America. With all due respect, that is...

Quote:
You and other teachers have bargained in good faith with the school district and have worked together - being understanding of hard times.
No, we haven't. Texas doesn't allow collective bargaining. All policy here is top down. Decisions are made at the top and we down the chain abide by them.

And as I preiviously mentioned, Texas schools have been cutting back for years. Despite this my own property taxes have gone up sharply.

Makes me wonder what the state of Texas has been doing with my tax dollars.

Probably not much different where you live, I suspect.

Quote:
The teachers in Wisconsin haven't. They were given a 3% pay RAISE this year. Those contracts will still be honored until it runs out.

Objectively, there comes a point where the taxpayers simply cannot afford it.
I won't argue that there's fat that could be cut in the education budget. But classrooms are not the place to start, IMHO.

Quote:
I posted a true story that I'd love to get your input on:

A True Story - Look For The Union Label
OK

Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
I'm still baffled as to where this idea of high salary comes from...there are no teachers I know (who are not, say, married to someone making a higher salary) that are living high end lifestyles...for pete's sake, truly educate yourselves!

This is the case with young teachers.

As teachers get to around the 15 year mark, if they are married and their spouse has a decent income, they live quite well. I know, I'm married to a teacher. I know going to work every day, unless the state goes bankrupt, we will have a pension that we can live off of when she retires...even if I don't save a penny. I do have a 401K and an IRA, but I would have to save around $25K a year every year to have what it would require to match her pension when I retire. Not many people have that kind of luxury unless they are making big big money..or they are LI cops. Again, this is LI NY, not Orlando Florida where teachers are not doing very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies