Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
As I understand it, the problems my district faces are far from unique and probably apply to most districts across America. With all due respect, that is...

No, we haven't. Texas doesn't allow collective bargaining. All policy here is top down. Decisions are made at the top and we down the chain abide by them.

And as I preiviously mentioned, Texas schools have been cutting back for years. Despite this my own property taxes have gone up sharply.

Makes me wonder what the state of Texas has been doing with my tax dollars.

Probably not much different where you live, I suspect.

I won't argue that there's fat that could be cut in the education budget. But classrooms are not the place to start, IMHO.

OK

Texas.

Had some relatives try to convince us we should move there. Salaries for teachers are a joke, even with the low cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Texas.

Had some relatives try to convince us we should move there. Salaries for teachers are a joke, even with the low cost of living.
I've been in Texas for nearly 30 years now. Things (not just education-wise) were good here for a long time. Over the past decade, it's slipped tremendosuly with no indication of turning around.

I now look forward to leaving in two more years.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
I'm still baffled as to where this idea of high salary comes from...there are no teachers I know (who are not, say, married to someone making a higher salary) that are living high end lifestyles...for pete's sake, truly educate yourselves!
Hi LIPumpkin - Everyone who posts about LI teacher salaries, whether for or against, needs to read the contract between their school district and the union representing the teachers. It is easily obtained from seethroughny.com.

FYI - On LI it is not uncommon to have 10 years under your belt and a Masters and make close to 90k. So, go get the contract and "for pete's sake truly educate yourself"!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:07 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninintothevoid View Post
Wisconsin isn't about the benefit cuts, its about the removal of collective bargaining agreements on all unions that didn't support the Governor's campaign. Given the choice between laying off 1000's of workers or taking a cut, any decent union will accept the cut on a temporary basis to help the community. However, if you take a cut and then say "you can't negotiate any raise beyond inflation", you have essentially limited any upward mobility. In my profession, if I was told that I couldn't get any pay increase beyond inflation for the remainder of my career, I would look for another job
I keep hearing this collective bargaining argument over
and over. Why should a public worker get a raise
beyond inflation anyways. Your a public employee on
a PUBLIC payroll.

I keep hearing the argument, In my profession, If I couldn't get this or that, I would look for another job.
Good luck getting one with all the perks public employees
get. There are a lot of professionals out there without
a job.

I just don't think public sector employees have a clue,
about what's happening in the private sector. And no,
we aren't all CEO bankers that got bailouts getting 9M
bonuses.

Has the federal/state governments been writing blank
checks for so long, they have forgotten the first basic -
you have to have money in the bank to write it in the
first place. If the tax payers don't want to make any
more deposits, the workers themselves, have to come
to terms with that.

Not to mention, aren't public workers being counter
productive to themselves. They pay taxes too - so
you get a raise - just to give it back to the same place
you work, to pay for the higher property taxes that your
collective bargaining just created

Geez, get unions out of the public sector - keep them in
private industry, where they belong.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
I'm still baffled as to where this idea of high salary comes from...there are no teachers I know (who are not, say, married to someone making a higher salary) that are living high end lifestyles...for pete's sake, truly educate yourselves!
Well the two teachers that live in my area on Long Island own an Audi, Volvo, Corvette and each have a Subaru also. One owns a second home in PA the other teacher a vacation home in East Hamptons. I stumbled across a web site a few years ago where the teachers were rated. One of these teachers was rated by their students and parents as a "C" now has retired early and now pulls in 75 grand pension.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:53 PM

177 posts, read 470,778 times
Default Sick of tea he

Are you sick of highly paid teachers?
**** Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!
We can get that for less than minimum wage.
**** That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).
**** Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.
However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.
LET'S SEE....
That's $585 X 180= $105,300
per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).
**** What about those special
education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an
hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.
Wait a minute -- there's
something wrong here! There sure is!
The average teacher's salary
(nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days
= $277.77/per day/30
students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Detroit is so bad they are about to close 50% of their schools and are considering canceling union contracts. Detroit's school district is in the hole $113 million for 2010.

Michigan orders DPS to make huge cuts | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20110221/SCHOOLS/102210355/1409/Michigan-orders-DPS-to-make-huge-cuts - broken link)

Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 PM

391 posts, read 513,442 times
I'd like to see what would happen if all the teachers left for the private sector; when the poor who can't afford private education are left to fend for themselves; when the special needs children aren't accepted into the private sector because they'll bring down the profile of the school. What would our country look like if the basic needs of children being brought up by a parent who is absent because she is working 2 jobs is left without public education? I tell my kids (students) not to worry when they call me mom by accident, I understand. I am, because of these times, not only a teacher but a parent to many children. All my fellow teachers who have given up and gone to the private sector have done very well (I personally know 5) and I may take up that challange one day soon. But, then I wonder, who will look out for all my kids?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
I'd like to see what would happen if all the teachers left for the private sector; when the poor who can't afford private education are left to fend for themselves; when the special needs children aren't accepted into the private sector because they'll bring down the profile of the school. What would our country look like if the basic needs of children being brought up by a parent who is absent because she is working 2 jobs is left without public education? I tell my kids (students) not to worry when they call me mom by accident, I understand. I am, because of these times, not only a teacher but a parent to many children. All my fellow teachers who have given up and gone to the private sector have done very well (I personally know 5) and I may take up that challange one day soon. But, then I wonder, who will look out for all my kids?
Plenty of layed off teachers looking for work. I'm sure the schools won't sit empty.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Sorry, according to the unions, there are just no give backs to give back. After all, they're only get 3% raises this year and they need those to pay the high taxes that they've caused.
Higher taxes they caused, eh? No culpability from constituents making wild demands for ala carte service government? The pot hole senator? Please!

Newsday should print out every frivilous asinine request dumped on elected desks for the past decade. Maybe you'll see yourselves better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies