Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:17 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times

Advertisements

19 year old white hispanic male college student at a respectable university in a respectable program with good job prospects. Born to two loving parents overseas, my dad's job placed him in the US when I was three and I've been here ever since. Dad is pretty wealthy, works in a high-level white-collar job. Mom isn't wealthy (they divorced) and is having trouble finding work. Went to a very good, liberal private school that somehow spat out a libertarian (or post-modernist or whatever). Grew up around privilege (e.g. kids getting the family BMW for their 18th birthdays) but I myself was not a beneficiary of quite that much privilege (I still have to take the subway and buses).

Not sure if that's what the thread was asking for, but yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,241,919 times
Female and in my early 50's.
One highly intelligent and beautiful, tall daughter.
We each nursed my dad when he was dying of cancer to be followed by nursing her dad who became termimal within months of losing my dad. She was only 17 when she was her dad's fulltime caretaker, while I relieved her in the evenings.
Come from very humble background, so 'keeping up with the Jones' was never in my life.
Am exceptionally blessed with health and youthfulness both physically and mentally.
Always been a natural athlete, but am a bit out of shape now, so I'm getting on my bike for another spin today.
B.S. in biology; minor in chemistry.
Began a M.S. in Environmental Science last fall. getting ready to take GRE to make full application and get full acceptance in program. Am excited about it.
Work full time for my tribe.
I believe one is never too old to learn, or advance. I love college classes and can already tell this M.S. is right up my ally. Glad I jumped in at 52! Will probably make my focus on watershed management since that is where my experience lies, and what I'm most passionate about.
My elderly mom lives with me. Came from an extremly poor upbringing in AL. Exceptionally poor.
I love cats and now have 6 that are inside, but are allowed outside for short periods. Feed multiple other 'homeless' cats and of those will probably allow one more (a gray male) inside if he wants. I am in the process of spaying/neutering all of the homeless kitties I feed.
Have one little pittie that was about 48 hours from death when I found her. Badly abused and neglected. She's fat and happy now, but physically suffers from the past abuse.
Hate seeing people be taken advantage of by anyone or anything.
Wish people would focus less on morals and more on ethics.
Love unpretentious people, and elders who've worked hard and are pragmatic. Couldn't care less if they are conservative or progressive. They hold a wealth of wisdom.
Use to ride horses, and need to get back on a horse. Miss it.
Am blessed to have a tightknit relationship with my two siblings and their children. Only one sibling lives in this region.
Hate hot weather and would love to move back to Seattle area, or PNW but am committed to remain in Tulsa for my mom. pffft, not a big deal in the big scheme of things. Glad she's still with me.
I am very thankful I made it through college and will break the cycle of poverty in my family come hell or high water. Will do it my ethics in tact.
I never give up.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:30 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,092,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I think this is a fair question to ask provided one can give generic descriptions to put each other into context and content given the order of the day is class-warfare, don't you think?
Late 20s, married (just had our 5th anniversary) to a man who is 14 years my elder, expecting our first child (a girl) in late August.

We own a house in Florida and relocated to Wisconsin recently for a job opportunity. My husband is the Operating Partner of a restaurant franchise and I am currently the assistant manager. I will be cutting back on hours here soon and after I can't work in the store anymore, I will go back to freelance writing.

I have a bachelor's degree in psychology (which is basically useless as far as jobs go, unless I want to pursue a master's, which I don't have time or money for at this point) and my husband only has a HS diploma. Good grades have always come easily for me, despite the fact that I was faced with challenging work due to skipping a grade and taking accelerated classes in public school. During college, I screwed around partying (that's what happens when you turn 18 right after your second college semester...you have to catch up to everyone else, LOL), but then I calmed down and finished my last two years with straight As, not one single B. I'm a huge believer in education but believe that it starts with the parents and your own intrinsic motivation. I also believe that if you work hard (or smart), you can get anywhere you want in life, and my husband is living proof of that.

We are middle class through and through, we work hard for what we have. We come from very different backgrounds (his family was poor and his mother paid little attention to him growing up and did not encourage learning or really good values at all). We are both very conservative Christians, although neither of us were raised as such.

My interests include real estate, animals, reading, trying new restaurants, doing various crafts, talking politics and theology.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,659,779 times
Late 40s female
Writer/communications pro
Living in Geneva, Switzerland
Work in senior UN post
Divorced, single mom of 2
Native Texan

Old 05-29-2011, 05:46 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
I think this is a fair question to ask provided one can give generic descriptions to put each other into context and content given the order of the day is class-warfare, don't you think?

I'll start first:

UAW worker/small business owner (raise sheep)
family man

(to start off...)
College-degreed female I.T. professional. My degree has nothing to do with my profession. My I.T. specialty is databases, specifically programming, optimization, and ETL. Raised in a very observant Jewish family by parents who were themselves raised Orthodox. I'm Reform.

Mid-30s, divorced (amicably), no kids, straight but very pro-gay rights. 2 cats, no dogs, no fish, no other odd exotic pets.

Politically independent but I lean left on most issues. Most, not all. I vote for the candidate, not the party. I am ambivalent on the issue of Israel.

I was born and raised in Texas and I am a gun-owner. I'm also a vegetarian who keeps kosher and who attends animal rights protests. I am anti-illegal immigration.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,073,349 times
Mid 30's married male.
COO of a telecommunications corporation
Live in the south suburbs of Chicago
Fiscally and socially conservative

Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 AM

15,755 posts, read 7,562,458 times
Arrow The poor conservative

Quote:

I'll start first:

UAW worker/small business owner (raise sheep)
family man

(to start off...)
Class-warfare:

I belong in the poor-class. However, I don't qualify for the public assistance, because I gross over $800.00 a month and I'm single. I work part-time (since 7-2009) for a major snack distributor as a merchandiser and 1% of my earnings (the other reason I don't qualify) is invested in the stock market. I dread 2014 and the health-care bill, because I won't be able to afford it at present wage earnings, and if it works out anything like the car insurance scam, it'll be hell to pay. If I could do totally away with the car, I would. (I'm working on a solution)

I'm 50. Before 2001, all was better. I raised 3 children as a single mother. My job title for 6 years was Professional Administrative Temp. (That job title use to be advertised over the radio in Dallas, TX.) I liked it, because I didn't have to listen to or be a party of, the office politics, for more than a year at any one given company. I have approximately 72 hours college credits, degree in none. (secretary-legal, management information technology, tech support, journalism-advertising and marketing)

I ran a post-construction cleaning business for 4 years after 2001. Then construction took their hit, so I closed up shop. My customers told me to stop being 'all professional' around them. ha So, I took the hint to heart and what use to be is not what is today.

I use to have a lot. Then in 2006 I couldn't pay lot-rent, so I lost my mobile home and both of my cars. (found $500.00 cash car) I currently live with my ex-husband. (redneckville, so nothing professional going on around here) I don't like living here. The full-time merchandiser position would be perfect so as to leave, but, there's no opening.

I have two boys, one girl and two grand babies. The boys live near me and my daughter and her children live in NC. She's in college majoring in medical office billing. The boys, I don't even want to talk about. One has come home from the Army after two tours of Iraq and has issues. The other was born with issues. They both have ambitions, but just not in the way that I would say is normal. Both were in high school college prep programs, so I tell them...

Something some one said once, 'to be 25 and broke life is an adventure. To be 50 and broke, the adventure is over'.

My new motto is work at companies and take jobs that I like to do, (dog walking for groom-kennel business was fun) because there is no point in trying to apply my college in today's job market towards any significant type of employment. I know this, (my college is old and so am I) because for whatever strange reason, even knowing this, I still keep trying.

However, my heart of hearts is telling me--turn the page.

There is no warfare going on here. The war would be in the battle to be something I'm not; a class that is greater. That war ended March 2006. It is a long over due endeavor now to end the chapter, close the book and get over myself. I may have more to offer, but no one is buying, not today anyway.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 05-31-2011 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: added a title
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies