Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:20 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times

Advertisements

I think this is a fair question to ask provided one can give generic descriptions to put each other into context and content given the order of the day is class-warfare, don't you think?

I'll start first:

UAW worker/small business owner (raise sheep)
family man

(to start off...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Hmmm.
Late 50s
married, still to my first wife. 4 kids, 3 college grads or soon will be, 1 still in high school
27 or so years teaching
local elected official
several "interests" (not hobbies)
Hunter Safety Instructor for MD DNR
USN veteran
fairly content with where I am (with some regrets)

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-20-2011 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
High School English/History Teacher. I'm a pharmacy technician on the side.

I'm a twentysomething single white male from West Michigan living in North Carolina.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Ph.D. student in comp sci, natural language & game-based intelligent tutoring systems, graduating Fall 2011. Who knows what lies ahead of that. SAS? DoD? Teaching? Definitely have to keep my politics under wraps just incase I want to work with my colleagues in the future. Been in IT for about 10 years prior to that. OTC derivatives, pharma, defense, municipal gov. some of the sectors.

30 something soon-to-be-married in North Cakalaky. Concealed carry permit holder, nature lover.

Last edited by summers73; 02-20-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 12:31 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Vietnam Vet. Retired from business. living on SS and a small stipend from a 401k. Member of the "Zipper Club". Major vascular complications. Don't expect to be around long. Every sunrise is a blessing.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:49 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Mid 50s,
Workout daily, bike riding, running, swimming, weights and martial arts
Senior Technical Writer (30 years)
Married twice (8 years 1st time and now going on 26 years with the 2nd)
2 Sons
4 grand kids
2 dogs
2 cats
Live in the country on the lake, and when I am not working my you know what off I love fishing, hiking and shooting to stay sharp
Love History and Science
Read a book a week at minimum, plus seeing what I can find on the web to spark my interest
Army Vet (8 years)
Happy but Concerned about our Country
Casper

Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Mid fifties, retired recently from public accounting where I specialized in working with large cap corporations. Capitalist with centrist political views.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:53 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Mid 30s
Married for 10 years
Medical Engineering and design
Masters in EE
Residential electrical work and generator work on the side
4 year old and 8 month old
I live in a very rural area North of Houston
4 dogs (want 1?)
Concealed handgun permit and handgun enthusiast.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:56 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
36 yr old white male.

Happily married for 5 years.

IT consultant.

Living in NC, but born and raised in MI.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
23 year old recent college grad working in administration at the university I graduated from. Was about to start an MBA program at said university in the very specific field I want to enter once the economy gets better, but was diagnosed with cancer a month after my 23rd birthday. Now I am living day to day, unsure how I will pay my medical bills even with no college loans or debt and decent insurance. I cannot go home to where I will have a caretaker because I would lose both my income and my insurance. My father is a 99er and my mother has a master's degree but barely makes above minimum wage at a daycare. They can be of no financial help to me nor can they afford to come be with me during the surgery I will need immediately before starting treatment (getting a port put in next week) or during treatment. I am in pretty much the worst place a cancer patient can be in- I have no caretakers, no reliable way to get to appointments/treatment (I rely on public transit which is great when you don't have to go an hour and a half each way to get to your chemo appointments), and am extremely stressed out about money.

I live in an urban suburb of Boston with a professor roommate who also does not have a car. Born in Mass, lived in Georgia from age 2 to 18, returned to Georgia briefly after college to job hunt.

Basically, all of this makes me extremely angry. I was the picture of health before my diagnosis- and even today, I feel fine, just happen to have cancer raging through my lymph nodes. It makes me incredibly angry that I have done everything right in my life thus far- saved money, graduated from a top ranked college with no debt, got a job that would be decent if it was in any part of the country but here (though I was willing and did move 1000 miles to take "what I could get"), hold no credit card debt, etc etc can be going through this financially. In a developed country, we should not have 23 year olds worrying about receiving chemo while living in a homeless shelter because of the costs of treatment and the time needed to take off of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies