Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
This is a terribly idiotic post, and I hope you can look back over it and realize how foolish you sound trying to defend a black conservative by calling all black democrats Uncle Toms. It is an offensive, moronic term when used to describe anyone, and you only perpetuate the foolishness by trying to use it against those whom you disagree with. Seriously, you would never try to make this argument in real life, since anyone with a shred of knowledge on the subject would absolutely shred you. Get a clue, please.
Great, we'll add "Uncle Tom" to the list of terms that black people are allowed to call each other but anyone else using the term is a racist bigot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I wouldn't know, ask the fools in this thread who claim that only black people are qualified to know anything about black people.
It's more like, I think a black person is more likely to know about what values and beliefs are dominant in black communities than a white person.

I also think that a white professor of black history would know more about black history than the average black person, but you clearly are not a scholar of the subject, so that's a moot point.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
Great, we'll add "Uncle Tom" to the list of terms that black people are allowed to call each other but anyone else using the term is a racist bigot.
Do you not know how to read? Nobody should call anyone "Uncle Tom". It's stupid, as was the post by the poster I responded to, as is your post due to your lack of comprehension.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
I wouldn't know, ask the fools in this thread who claim that only black people are qualified to know anything about black people.
Well judging from the posts in this thread I can see why someone would come to that conclusion.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
I'm a conservative and you're black, that makes it just as likely for me to answer the OP's question as you.
Actually no. He is asking ask a black conservative how to deal with black liberals. The common denominator here is black not political party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Natalay is a black woman who often uses sarcastic digs like you questioned. I consider her to be one of the most intelligent people who post on this forum and wish she had someone to take care of her son and do her job for her so she had more time to be here.

Of course, you know about Nat's skin color.
LOL Roy you are so silly.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:22 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I consider myself to be conservative. I am not apart of any party but I would call myself libertarian if I absolutely had to choose a party.

Nevertheless, if you reveal to other blacks that you're conservative, all hell breaks loose.

I don't go around talking politics, but I don't want to get bashed when I mention I am a conservative to other blacks.

Any advice on how to handle this?
Good afternoon,

I'm in a similar boat. The best thing to do is talk about policies, not parties. I'm more libertarian than anything, and most Blacks are receptive or curious since they don't typically know what libertarians stand for. Depending on the person, I'll lead in with a policy that person agrees with (like drug legalization, etc) and then talk about other policies second. I've had no problems talking about libertarianism using this approach.

Overall, I take good and bad from both parties. I'm fiscally conservative and primarily socially moderate, yet socially liberal in a few areas like handups for the poor. That being said, I'm not a fan of the Republicans because they aren't real conservatives and like big government for social issues and foreign policy, and I'm an even less of a fan of the current Democratic party because I dislike big government and their current embrace of far left ideologies. I like the Democrats of old, before the extreme left took over the party.

Just educate people on what you stand for. "Conservative" and "Republican" are hot button words for Blacks, so unless that's really what you are, just say libertarian. If people can't have a cordial conversation about differences in ideology while looking for common ground, I wouldn't want to deal with them anyway.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
It's sad for black conservatives

Old 02-21-2011, 02:27 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Change your perspective. Democrat African-Americans are actually the Uncle Toms. They prefer to serve the white man by living in poor conditions, continually fed scraps from their "masters" and kept unmotivated and shiftless. They serve the white progressive academics in the coffee shops, restaurants, and other establishments. They perpetuate the cycle by trying to keep as many AAs supporting this dynamic as possible, by making fun of blacks who try to educate themselves (referring to it as "becoming white")
Good afternoon,

True or not, using the "bash the other side" tactic doesn't work with Black Democrats I know. It's best to positively highlight common ground beliefs, and then hash out differences with potential compromises.

I've found for differences in ideology, most Black Democrats I know tend to agree with letting each state (or city/county) decide how to handle the big issues (tax the rich, abortion, gay marriage) and giving citizens an option to move to a state/city/county that agrees with their ideology. That is not a typical liberal method, but I've found it's an acceptable compromise in debates.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
"Conservative" and "Republican" are hot button words for Blacks
Once again, I'm left wondering what type of black people that you all talk to where "conservative" is a hot button.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think these are the best of times and the worst of times to be a Black Conservative. And yes there are black conservatives who are not Republican or Independent. IMO It is the best of times in that it gives a black Conservative a clear chance to show that merely having a Black President isn't enough in it self to help the age old problems in the Black community. Of course Black Conservatives alienate Black Liberals by not acknowledging that a such a social achievement is a good start.
The larger question is what have Black Conservatives DONE to influence more Black Americans to think about this as a viable poltical alternative?

Why aren't Black Conservatives outspoken when people like Haley Barbour, Dr. Laura, Rush Limbaugh amd others make racially insensitive and racially divisive remarks?

Until Black Conservatives can address these issues and stand up to racist elements within the American Conservative Movement then Black Conservatives will be seen as people who are willing to advance their own economic and political interest over those of helping other Black Americans.

The reality is that Black Americans KNOW there are racist elements within the American Conservative Movement. Most are not willing to hold their nose to the stench of this racism and racial insentivity even if they may agree with Conservatives on issues like same-sex marriage, or abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies