Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,139,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
teachers are ONE group of taxpayers
teachers are ONE group that have children
teachers are ONE group of my neighbors.

i could go on, but you get the idea.""""

Actually, no, since you didn't make a point.....we are ALL taxpayers, all neighbors. Not all have children, I don't and YOU took MY money to educate YOUR kids....not very personally responsible of you.

"""let me turn your statement around-

why do teachers feel that if they take everyone else's money the economy will improve?"""

That's nonsensical WHERE do teachers say that?

Why do YOU think that if everyone gets paid less the economy will improve?

"""i just don't know why teachers feel that they are entitled to pick everyone else's pocket so that they can maintain the style of living they would LIKE TO HAVE in an economic downturn.""

Earning a salary is "picking pockets"????

"""we are all fellow working americans and NEED TO PULL TOGETHER, not try and pull from one group to benefit another."""

WHO do you think should pay teacher's salaries?

YOU can't "pull together" by pulling others down.

""i know that not all teachers are doing this, so i am not addressing this post to all teachers. some teachers have done their own homework on the state of the economy and realize that many other americans are struggling, and that people are still losing their jobs in the private sector.
Yes, and teachers, who are also TAX PAYING Americans don't want to struggle any more than any other American...

Why do YOU want them to struggle so you can have everything??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,438,217 times
Lightbulb Why are Republicans siding with big government and against teachers in Wisconsin?

It's a much broader situation than that.

The GOP has for years sided with wealthy corporate interests against the public. This is just another page from that book. Unions are some of the only middle/working class organizations with any political clout whatsoever. They can make political contributions and effectively finance some campaigns.

On the other hand, corporations and billionaires can hire an army of lobbysits and, as the supreme court ruled last year, can pump unlimited funds into political campaigns.

They want very badly to wipe out this last vestige of public influence. It's just about the only thing standing between them and the all-out oligarchy they and the GOP want so much.

If the GOP wins in Wisconsin, it's a big victory for the corporations who have moved our jobs to China and hired Mexican replacement workers by the millions.

What will it take for the public to wake up?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,165 times
[quote=skoro;17963193]It's a much broader situation than that.

The GOP has for years sided with wealthy corporate interests against the public. This is just another page from that book. Unions are some of the only middle/working class organizations with any political clout whatsoever. They can make political contributions and effectively finance some campaigns.

On the other hand, corporations and billionaires can hire an army of lobbysits and, as the supreme court ruled last year, can pump unlimited funds into political campaigns.

They want very badly to wipe out this last vestige of public influence. It's just about the only thing standing between them and the all-out oligarchy they and the GOP want so much.

If the GOP wins in Wisconsin, it's a big victory for the corporations who have moved our jobs to China and hired Mexican replacement workers by the millions.

What will it take for the public to wake up? [/QUOTE\

Good point.....then maybe all political influence/$$contributions by unions, corporations and individuals should be stopped? No lobbying...no special interest whatsoever should have a say in our political process. Just the government working for the citizens...like it was supposed to be.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:29 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,845,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, and teachers, who are also TAX PAYING Americans don't want to struggle any more than any other American...

Why do YOU want them to struggle so you can have everything??
But they are not the "real" Americans. Much too middle class and are still being paid too much. They need to learn, their uppity ways will no longer be tolerated wherever the TParty is in charge.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 AM

45,199 posts, read 26,409,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
But they are not the "real" Americans. Much to middle class and are still being paid too much. They need to learn, their uppity ways will no longer be tolerated wherever the TParty is in charge.
Protected public sector employees are part of the same ruling class that people have emigrated here for years to get out from under.

What's the next step, bring back the monarchy?
Real progress lol

Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,845,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Protected public sector employees are part of the same ruling class that people have emigrated here for years to get out from under.

What's the next step, bring back the monarchy?
Real progress lol
You got it right, those public employees should be subjugated by the upper 2, just like the rest of us.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,206 times
This isn't about money anymore, and you're a fool if you believe it is.

The Governor just announced this bill to cut salaries and fundamentally end collective bargaining rights--he never even TRIED to discuss it with the unions. The unions came forward this week and said they'd take the cuts, but they're fighting for their rights to bargain over basic issues like working conditions, and other issues vital to their professions. This is a union busting move, pure and simple, and that's why around 80,000 people were in Madison alone each day this weekend. I may not agree with everything that unions always do, but I think they're an important voice in this country--the only one left for working and middle class people. This is an issue of fairness, and I think voters are understanding that. I think this is just the start--swing voters held a referendum on the economy last year, but they weren't voting for this. I think the protests across the country have just begun.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 AM

45,199 posts, read 26,409,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This isn't about money anymore, and you're a fool if you believe it is.

The Governor just announced this bill to cut salaries and fundamentally end collective bargaining rights--he never even TRIED to discuss it with the unions. The unions came forward this week and said they'd take the cuts, but they're fighting for their rights to bargain over basic issues like working conditions, and other issues vital to their professions. This is a union busting move, pure and simple, and that's why around 80,000 people were in Madison alone each day this weekend. I may not agree with everything that unions always do, but I think they're an important voice in this country--the only one left for working and middle class people. This is an issue of fairness, and I think voters are understanding that. I think this is just the start--swing voters held a referendum on the economy last year, but they weren't voting for this. I think the protests across the country have just begun.
It's an attempt to reign in a system that has created a protected class and it should be applauded by everyone from Joe Six Pack to the guy who owns the corner hardware store.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,139,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It's an attempt to reign in a system that has created a protected class and it should be applauded by everyone from Joe Six Pack to the guy who owns the corner hardware store.
So you don't want Amricans and their jobs protected.

You applaud the protection of the upper 2% of the wealthiest people in America....it hasn't helped the economy but you keep supporting the people who protect THEM.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM

37,955 posts, read 22,128,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I thought they were against the government and pro joe six packs? Now they seem to believe that if the government tells you do to something, teachers should abide by it, no questions asked?
The teacher's unions ARE big government. When unions conspire with politicians to enrich each other, its called political cronyism.

The union bosses ask the politicians for more money, and in return they kick back increased political campaign contributions, organize massive get-out-the-vote drives and run positive campaign ads for the politicians and help promote their agenda, while running attacks ads against their opponents.

Even though its all a house of cards, and the unsustainable benefits and pensions will come crashing down one day, no one cares. The union bosses, teachers and politicians all get a little something extra, and who cares, since its all coming from free taxpayer money.

The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) has given over $40 million to politicians, and well over 90% of their contributions go to Democrats. The SEIU, AFL-CIO are both clearly pro Democrat. Unions ARE big government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies