Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a taxpayers' union?
Yes 25 65.79%
No 13 34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and you want to know WHY it is a problem to have 'collective barganing' in the PUBLIC SECTOR............The problem is there is no REAL "collective bargaining." ......Public sector unions are a client of a political bureaucracy that wants their vote. The taxpayer - the "employer" - isn't a player in the bargaining process.
Neither are shareholders in a COMPANY. Shareholders are entirely dependent upon company management to watch out for their interests in the same way that voters are dependent upon goverment leaders to watch out for THEIR interests.

It's not that different in that regard. If you don't like the way your elected officials are dealing with the unions, then vote them out (as has been done in WI).

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 02:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
They do.

It's called the vote.
You compare one man's vote to collective bargaining? That is far left thinking.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
My goodness, that's extreme taxation. It's like renting from the government. In my state, where a lot of outsiders think of as very uncool place to live, the property tax on my 2200 sq. ft. home is $2297.
Gawdamighty, my property tax on my 1900 sq. ft. home is only $927 for the current year and that is after nearly a $100 raise from last year. It seems the city spent like a bunch of Democrats last year and have to tax and spend this year.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
We have representatives. We don't need a tax payers union.
Well yeah, but in Wisconsin they can't get a quorum in their Senate because of the FleeBaggers.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Maybe taxpayers should be treated more like shareholders and get votes based on how much tax they pay. You should get one vote for every dollar of tax you pay.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:13 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Maybe taxpayers should be treated more like shareholders and get votes based on how much tax they pay. You should get one vote for every dollar of tax you pay.
No, I don't think the founders would have cared much for that. They'd had their share of wealthy royalty who thought they were better than everyone else.

Ken

Old 02-27-2011, 05:56 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Going by liberals' logic, of course. I mean they claim collective bargaining is a fundamental human right, right? Well if public sector employees have the right to collectively bargain for their salaries and benefits packages, then by their own logic, we taxpayers have the right to collectively bargain our tax rates. When government employees don't like the terms of their employment, they walk of the job and strike. Well if they have that right, then we, as taxpayers, the one's paying their paychecks, have the right to strike as well, i.e. stop paying our taxes. It's a two-way street. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If they have the right to unionize and strike, then so do we.
No, only for the pure fact that I'm against all unions. I do see your point about striking, though, and we wouldn't even need to organize a union to get it done. We also do somewhat bargain for our taxes via the representatives we elect.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:59 PM

155 posts, read 146,649 times
The problem to your theory is that everyone pays taxes.

You do know government workers pay taxes too right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies