Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 AM

20,222 posts, read 19,775,461 times

Advertisements

I hate to see that in 2011 this crap goes on in the US

"Cockfighting Ring Busted on LI"

"Roosters were clawing each other as police busted a cockfighting ring on Long Island this weekend, arresting 33 people and rescuing 35 birds......"

"......Authorities saved 35 roosters, most stored in cages, and confiscated a fighting ring, scales, seats for spectators and equipment used to prepared the birds for battle....."

Cockfighting Ring Busted on LI | NBC New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:26 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,057,379 times
It takes a disturbed sick mind to want to see something like this.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:02 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,386,954 times
This is a cultural tradition among Latinos. Use to be legal here in Louisiana. My relatives use to be involved in the sport as they like to say. You'd be shocked if you knew everything involved in this sport. Performance enhancing drugs, blades attached to the rooster's feet, gambling, and illegal drug dealing are all part of what goes on at many of these matches.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,569,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
This is a cultural tradition among Latinos.
yup - i was gonna say. this ain't news south of the border.

and to think, they're part of the species homo sapiens, ugghhhhh

Old 02-21-2011, 04:36 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,450,172 times
They're chickens. Ok? Chickens.

This isn't a new "sport" by a long shot as it's been going on for years, and not just among Latino's either.

It was, and may still be, legal in Oklahoma but the betting isn't. In Alabama, they needed a bridge over the Black Warrior River back in the very early 20th century, so they auctioned off fighting chickens to pay for it. The bridge still stands (I think. US-80 used to cross it until about 30 years ago), more than a century old, and is called The Rooster Bridge.

Cockfighting as a means of gambling has been going on for a long, long time.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:01 AM

33,495 posts, read 36,978,256 times
Sometimes the roosters get even.... Man Killed by Cockfighting Rooster in California

Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 AM

24,341 posts, read 22,891,284 times
Dog fighting and **** fighting appeal to knuckle draggers or those not quite used to living in the 21st century, or even the 20th.
But take it a step further and even horse racing is kind of a crappy sport. The tracks are rough on the horses( I understand all grass turf would be okay) and after their racing days are over they most likely go to the butcher shop for a frenchman's table. Dog racing is even worse.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 AM

716 posts, read 1,116,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Dog fighting and **** fighting appeal to knuckle draggers or those not quite used to living in the 21st century, or even the 20th.
But take it a step further and even horse racing is kind of a crappy sport. The tracks are rough on the horses( I understand all grass turf would be okay) and after their racing days are over they most likely go to the butcher shop for a frenchman's table. Dog racing is even worse.

Agreed, but since it's an upper class sport, you won't hear many people complaining about it. Also, the animals we eat aren't always treated very well either. Dogfighting is just an easy target because the violence is so obvious. It's kind of like people who think hunting is wrong, but eating animals killed in a slaughterhouse is OK.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,264,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
They're chickens. Ok? Chickens.

This isn't a new "sport" by a long shot as it's been going on for years, and not just among Latino's either.

It was, and may still be, legal in Oklahoma but the betting isn't. In Alabama, they needed a bridge over the Black Warrior River back in the very early 20th century, so they auctioned off fighting chickens to pay for it. The bridge still stands (I think. US-80 used to cross it until about 30 years ago), more than a century old, and is called The Rooster Bridge.

Cockfighting as a means of gambling has been going on for a long, long time.
I agree it's been going on a long, long time but that doesn't make it any less disgusting. Humans are capable of evolving in our values and animal cruelty is one thing we need to leave behind with the last century.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 AM

13,909 posts, read 39,089,894 times
C fighting has been going on for Decades! Not nothing new. Same as Fighting fish & bugs. But for some reason Americans only focus on the dog fighting. I love to see ALL fighting Banned inc People Fighting People for Money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies