U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 PM

3,684 posts, read 2,135,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I think they should confiscate their personal wealth to pay for it since she was obviously making good money dealing drugs.

I don't mind confiscating criminal's personal wealth, when you liberals want to confiscate way more of the hard working productive people, then I have a problem.
Personal wealth? Come on this woman has no money let alone wealth. Why do you think she was selling pot?
And any money she has is probably ill-gotten. So you take everything she owns and then what? She qualifies for food stamps or gets a Habitat for Humanity home because she has kids!

yeah that will work.
Serving a sentence in prison will hopefully teach her a lesson and she can go back to where she came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,727,134 times
wow, this is ridiculous. I'm NOT arguing the fact that this woman should face punishment for her crimes, but 10 years is LUDICROUS! there is something seriously wrong in America's justice system where this woman can get 10 years for selling less than $50 worth of pot, yet people who END LIVES get less time. Dante Stallworth was in jail for less than 30 DAYS! there was a case in Chicago not to long go where a homeless man beat a woman up so badly that she still has seizures and lost most of her teeth. that man was barely in jail for 6 months (IIRC), was released, and recommitted the exact same crime barely a day later. why do these people get off relatively easily yet people can spend years in jail for minor pot offenses? is $31 worth of pot more dangerous than a drunk behind the wheel of a car?

WHY is this country wasting so much time, space, and money on people like this woman when actual dangerous people, people who've committed rape, assault/assault w/ a weapon, vehicular homicide, and manslaughter, get less time, especially if they have clout, fame, and money? I'd rather have her out on the streets doing probation and use her spot to house an actual dangerous convict. is it any wonder we have more people in prison than almost every other industrialized nation?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 PM

30,960 posts, read 12,540,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Putting words into others mouths. Typical.
I never said cost is a non-issue. What I said was I don't cherish paying for her incarceration but she needs to be punished for her crime.
And it won't cost tax dollars?

(This time a question, so you finally throw up whatever happens to be in in your throat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I think they should confiscate their personal wealth to pay for it since she was obviously making good money dealing drugs.

I don't mind confiscating criminal's personal wealth, when you liberals want to confiscate way more of the hard working productive people, then I have a problem.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:06 PM

12,142 posts, read 11,361,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Is society better off with this person locked up. The answer is no. The social and monetary costs do not add up.

Was she caught selling drugs to other people as well, or just the "undercover officer"? I believe that when a police officer approaches you and requests that you break a law, that is entrapment, and we shouldn't allow it in this country. Catch the criminals don't create them.

Drugs laws always have been and continue to be unconstitutional. Interstate commerce clause, what a load of BS.
I believe this was entrapment also.

Also, a person selling drugs is not forcing anyone to buy them. They are not getting held at gunpoint to buy drugs, so I think our whole drug thing here in America really needs to be updated.

We have more serious things going on then some dumb ass woman selling pot, gimme a break.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
You don't need to get 10 years for it either.

I agree.
10 years is a bit much.

and my tax dollars is paying for that, so i want a say in the matter.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:23 PM

6,321 posts, read 1,993,686 times
I don't think the time was justified, but on the flip side.. She sold drugs, IN FRONT OF HER KIDS, KEPT THEM IN THE HOUSE WITH THEM!!

She went out of her way to perform illegal activity....

Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM

16,141 posts, read 5,284,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
But do you think she should be jailed with murderers and thieves, and kept away from her children for 10 years?
Yes! She decided she wanted to push her luck. Guess who lost that one? If you can't do the time, don't do the crime! Have you ever heard of that before?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Ok selling drugs in front of children is not the greatest of decesions, how do we know she wasn't on hard times and felt no other option. Maybe a number of reasons.
I think 10 years is just ridiculous already. Sorry, selling drugs compared to murder is really a no brainer.
People kill here in America and get a smack on the ass, yet you sell drugs, (to people who want to buy them), I mean this really is a no brainer..................

Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,327,388 times
“When she needed money … this is the avenue she chose rather than finding legitimate employment,” the report states.
“The defendant does not appear remorseful … and she makes justifications for her actions.”

I love the part about finding legtimate employment. After the system has created a killing field of the employment market,
closed out opportunity like never before, created a lucrative market for a common weed and assigned unrealistic penaties for
trafficking in an unjustly regulated substance, it wants now, to exact an unreasonable pound of flesh. Imprisoning people for dealing
or possessing marijuana is more of the continuation of government folly, their blind unwillingness to review the archaic structure of law,
that places marijuana as a schedule one "drug", more heavily penalized than heroin, morphine, cocaine, oxycodone, methamphetamine
and a host of other, more pressing and socially detrimental crimes.

Because our government and our legislators have failed to see, that they (and, they alone), have created multiple industries
which profit greatly through the unreasonable continuation of this long standing prohibition of marijuana, they have filled our prisons
with those who the system has branded as criminals, the system propagates by supporting itself and it's own agenda without regard
for wisdom and justice, even constructive jurisprudence. What good will come of this ten year sentence? Does anyone really believe
that the example shown by this judge will deter some other mother from doing what she must do to feed her children? Has the average
reader of this sad accounting, got any idea of the resultant drain upon community resources, that this case will incur? How many of the
readers, can fully understand that this is just one small example of why our financial system is collapsing day after day? They've thrown
the baby out with the bath water!

As long as the government continues to permit open borders in spite of our constitution, continues to invade other sovereign nations,
fails to reassess it's policies, in light of the growing restlessness of it's citizenry, and their desire for sorely needed revisions to the law, I'm sure
that there will be many more who'll continue to fall by the wayside. There's a growing groundswell of good people, that have been pushed around
by a system which has been more concerned with the welfare of it's own ilk, and so much less concerned with the plight of the common citizen,
the man in the street and the poor slobs who continue to provide the funding for their incompetent bungling and their warmongering ways. Our
government has ruled us to ruination, shipped our industries to other nations, destroyed our economy, overtaxed us and effectively brought about
our emergence as a third world nation. They've feathered their own nests, filled their pockets and thumbed their noses at us in utter contempt of
what was once the best political system in the world and as we see it going down the drain on a daily basis, we find them fighting among themselves
in a power struggle for more control over us, more legislation and of course, the classical advance toward classism, the rich, and well to do ruling class,
over their often helpless subjects. As a senior citizen, I find that there will be some small consolation in going to my grave, it'll be in the understanding,
that at least in my time, I got to see a once great America who sadly got ahead of itself to a point where it will not be returning to those halcyon days.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 PM

18,203 posts, read 5,265,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
I never took drugs (I'm 23) and you know what ? I'm happy.You don't need this crap, you don't need to sell it to teens or students.

Good for you. Now why do you want to impose your values on the rest of the world? Who gave you that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies