Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,461,087 times

Advertisements

I read this poll a couple of weeks ago and was really shocked. Even if you liked president Reagan, the stuff he was up against pales in comparison to:
Washington, (unified the country)
Jefferson (Louisiana Purchase)
Lincoln (saved the union, freed the slaves)
Both Roosevelts (Progressive Era, Depression and WWII)

and...

Truman. (Dealing with the bomb and the onset of the cold war)

All Reagan had was a really bad recession. The USSR was on its way out anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
With all the recent finger pointing on both sides of aisle attempting to blame one side or the other for inciting violence I think it appropriate to mention Reagan saying "If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with" referring to anti-war demonstrations just a month before the murders at Kent State.

He did nothing after making that statement to end my dislike of him.
I had a similar epiphany about Reagan. He told the unemployed steelworkers in Pittsburgh they should "vote with their feet" and leave after the collapse of the steel industry in the early 80s. That was his level of compassion for the human suffering that was gong on there.

I didn't vote for him in 1980, and I sure as h*** wouldn't vote for him after that.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 PM

527 posts, read 466,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I had a similar epiphany about Reagan. He told the unemployed steelworkers in Pittsburgh they should "vote with their feet" and leave after the collapse of the steel industry in the early 80s. That was his level of compassion for the human suffering that was gong on there.

I didn't vote for him in 1980, and I sure as h*** wouldn't vote for him after that.
His attitude about conservation was choice too-to paraprhase- 'you see one redwood you've seen em all'-

Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,265,897 times
Quote:
Please

What good is a leader when he leads you down the path of VooDoo Economics, the theory we can SPEND! SPEND! SPEND! with zero thought as to how we'll pay for that spending?

During his time in office if you wanted to work you could find a job or two if you wanted.

He took over after Carter almost destroyed our nation and turned it around very well.

He will go down in history as one of the best ever if not the best.

Even the bum in the WH follows him closely because he knew Reagan was a strong leader and has a long list of great accomplishments.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 PM

527 posts, read 466,529 times
I love how Reagan and Bush were always described as 'someone who you could have a beer with' or some similar 'common man' malarky- trust me the 'average joe' would be tossed out of the exclusive country clubs and golf courses these guys did their drinking at-

Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
During his time in office if you wanted to work you could find a job or two if you wanted.

He took over after Carter almost destroyed our nation and turned it around very well.

He will go down in history as one of the best ever if not the best.

Even the bum in the WH follows him closely because he knew Reagan was a strong leader and has a long list of great accomplishments.

Reagan as POTUS?

AVERAGE, and that's being generous.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

There seem to be many incidents that prove beyond a doubt he was not the warm, gentle, caring man the spin doctors would have us believe. And the conservatives here have the unmitigated gall to knock 'Hollywood types' as degnerate liberals when this man they worship is the very epitome of a 'Hollywood type'

Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 PM

24,483 posts, read 33,188,159 times
Quote:
Reagan as POTUS?

AVERAGE, and that's being generous.
In your opinion...

Old 02-22-2011, 03:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,350,336 times
Americans said it in 2005 and this year : Reagan best president.That's all.You can't erase this

Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 AM

4,634 posts, read 4,929,185 times
Reagan, huh. What's that term again? Stockholm Syndrome?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies