Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 PM

89 posts, read 132,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I haven't encountered this hatred you speak of.
Neither have I in my country (Malaysia). And I've met many nice people who are Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times
Not so they used to like us in the Mideast but we took care of that after Iran revolt

Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,393,947 times
Well my thoughts on this subject, are yes we know that other Countries are not fond of us.

Until, they need us, isn't that right. When they need help or a helpin hand, or need money because of a disaster, who do they rely on. They rely on us.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:42 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,120,213 times
In my post I didnt say we have to be versed in all the customs of other nations before we travel. I said we need to show understanding and some reverance of the customs in other nations, and appreciate the differences in cultures.

The point being made about international travelers in this country-------we live here in South Florida and see a ton of foreign visitors. I have seen that visitors from other countries who show some courtesy and respect to our people get treated better in general. Snarky international tourists meet up with some resentment here-----and vice versa, it is the same for Americans visiting other countries.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,218,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
We're the "ugly American". We expect to be catered to--they should all speak English. We don't take the time to learn what gestures mean in their country, and we're belligerent. We want things our way.
Most European's do speak a little English. And always have and always would have.

Europe doesn't exactly find itself as one melting pot. It doesn't have the issue of taking on many people with many different 1st languages, from many different countries, and getting everyone to understand each other under ONE agreed upon language. English IS their continental language of understanding. It sure ain't Russian or German or Italian, is it?

How much revenue does any happy go lucky COUNTRY in EU depend on tourism? Vs. the USA? Travel anywhere in Europe and there are signs in English, everywhere. Not because of American's who only speak English and spend their money.
Why aren't there signs in 20 different languages on every highway in the USA or at every "historical point" in the country??

I'll tell you why. The USA doesn't live for tourists who hate the USA.

Or maybe it's just not that interesting of a place to visit.

Blame England that so many Euro's speak or feel the need to learn English. Not the USA's fault.

What do you want next?

Press "3" for arabic?

Pree "4" for Klingon?

Last edited by Informed Info; 12-13-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,817,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
What are your thoughts of Americans being disliked around most parts of the world ( Europe, Middle East, Asia, Latin countries, etc. )? Some presidents have made decisions that don’t please everybody around the world but why would the citizens get that kind of attitude?
The American government has been heavily disliked in much of the world. The American people quite well-liked.

This is much the same way as the American people feel, in my opinion.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,034,620 times
I could see why.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 AM

659 posts, read 1,142,833 times
Maybe it has something to do with our foreign policies? You think? Ron Paul has much to say about that!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:30 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,195,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
What are your thoughts of Americans being disliked around most parts of the world ( Europe, Middle East, Asia, Latin countries, etc. )? Some presidents have made decisions that don’t please everybody around the world but why would the citizens get that kind of attitude?
They dislike us then want us to help them

Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,667,129 times
American people are nice and they in general are not disliked. If people are going for tourism or for job, thats a boon for local economy and nobody will hate them them whether it is japanese or american or german or nigerian tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies