Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times

Advertisements

Alan Dershowitz once stated that rape was the most under-reported crime AND the most over-reported crime.

Cultural and legal definitions for "rape" and "sexual assault" vary considerably from one place to another (look at the extremely broad definitions in Sweden). Add to that the fact that these definitions are constantly in flux. The result is an increasingly large "gray area" concerning the question of whether or not a crime was committed.

No one deserves to be raped, nor to be too ashamed to seek justice for the atrocity. At the same time, the mere accusation of a sexual assault can permanently devastates someone's life. It is extraordinarily uncommon for someone who has leveled a fraudulent sexual assault claim to experience any legal repercussions from their actions. That aspect of the process has to be taken more seriously than it has been.

We need to provide education concerning sexual interactions from an early age, combined with very clear-cut and uniform definitions of sexual assault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM

371 posts, read 393,311 times
I had read once upon a time that it was 1 in 5 for false charges. That's 20%, which is pretty substantial.

Please remember, sex crimes are the only crimes where we can't blame the victim.
But the rest of the time it's okay

Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
Blaming the victim happens all of the time. Especially with conservatives.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:57 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Alan Dershowitz once stated that rape was the most under-reported crime AND the most over-reported crime.

Cultural and legal definitions for "rape" and "sexual assault" vary considerably from one place to another (look at the extremely broad definitions in Sweden). Add to that the fact that these definitions are constantly in flux. The result is an increasingly large "gray area" concerning the question of whether or not a crime was committed.

No one deserves to be raped, nor to be too ashamed to seek justice for the atrocity. At the same time, the mere accusation of a sexual assault can permanently devastates someone's life. It is extraordinarily uncommon for someone who has leveled a fraudulent sexual assault claim to experience any legal repercussions from their actions. That aspect of the process has to be taken more seriously than it has been.

We need to provide education concerning sexual interactions from an early age, combined with very clear-cut and uniform definitions of sexual assault.
Women don't have a vested interest in injustice. Each respective wrongfully accused are both my daughters and my sons. Explain to me why a father who loves his daughter would stand over her hospital bed and tell her she brought it upon herself. On this subject I have little to no faith in men to make decisions. The beam in their eye is beyond belief.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I think knowingly falsely accusing someone of rape should be a felony. While sexual assault and rape are serious crimes, I think maliciously falsely accusing someone of rape should carry the same penalty as someone who is charged and convicted of rape.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Blaming the victim happens all of the time. Especially with conservatives.
Ever talk to a liberal about high crime in the city?

The response is usually "It's not true, and anyways you won't be a victim if you just use your brains"

That's blaming the victim. Lib's do it for all crimes except sex crimes.

Looks like the teams are tied 1 for 1 in stupidity.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think knowingly falsely accusing someone of rape should be a felony. While sexual assault and rape are serious crimes, I think maliciously falsely accusing someone of rape should carry the same penalty as someone who is charged and convicted of rape.
I'd like to think this......
But going down this path takes you to a new idea, and that is one where any time there is a rape charge either the plaintiff or defendant are guilty.

The concern is women won't ever speak up, for they may go to jail.

Combine this with the "don't fight it if you're scared" idea and now there's no evidence it was forced.

I say men just hide camera's in the home, then they've always got solid evidence of consent.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
O.P.'s question was 'how often do PEOPLE make false rape/sexual assault claims'. So, if it's PEOPLE, I'll assume that somewhere in the statistics world, someone has a break down of what percentage of men are included in making false claims? Wonder if there is also a break down of statistics as to percent of men who are assaulted [domestic battery] by their wives/girlfriends?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Ever talk to a liberal about high crime in the city?

The response is usually "It's not true, and anyways you won't be a victim if you just use your brains"

That's blaming the victim. Lib's do it for all crimes except sex crimes.

Looks like the teams are tied 1 for 1 in stupidity.
High crime isn't in the cities as if the entire city were gigantic crime scene. That's a rural myth. Per capita crime statistics paint a different picture. If you live in nyc and the vast majority found a way for 9 million or so folks to get along without being a police state I'd say that's quite an accomplishment. Now, why a rural town population 100 has 20% that can't or won't get along... care to explain?

Blaming the victim.... sure. I saw liberals blaming 911 victims. The hit and run victims also get scolded regularly by liberals. Liberals defend the rights of smash and grab robbers. The jewelry store brought it upon itself having the audacity to have anything at all on display. It's so strange that ladies in Burqa's also get raped. Perhaps men require chastity belts.

Y'all defend materialism to the death. That's where your values are. The majority of the planet- womankind= collateral damage. You hold womankind in contempt. Just admit it.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Beyond reasonable doubt is DNA for conviction of males who rape. We owe them nothing less than that solid proof. The science applied might cost more but convicting the wrong man costs far more. It only created more victims (rape victim didn't get justice, wrong man in jail with ruined life, and civilization/ justice eroded).

I'd love it if wrongful accusations got prosecuted to the fullest extent possible but based on what evidence? Moreover, are you not just creating a situation where unscrupulous lawyers can level long series of false charges counter suits to infinity and beyond for the sole purpose of circumventing justice? Shouldn't lying lawyers be going to jail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies