Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are teachers overpaid
Yes 42 31.82%
No 90 68.18%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
wow...taking 3 months off every year? No teacher can complain about salaries if they actually take summers off. Isn't that just a little bit lazy?
We don't have 3 months. My year will end on May 24, 2013. The fall semester starts (for teachers) the first week of August. So, it's more like a little over 2 months that we are not teaching.

However, if your were to come by my school during the summer, you would find that over 1/4 of the teachers here at any given day. And not necessarily the same 1/4 of the faculty. We are working on our rooms, developing new lesson plans from new text books/resources, helping with scheduling for next year, etc. All without receiving extra pay (well, some do, but they ae on 12-month contracts, not the usual 10-month contract). I practice new chemistry & physics labs because I don't have my classroom during the academic year (a roaming teacher must use it).

Why is it that some people feel that they can tell me what I do on my job when they have never done it themselves? I have a brain, but that doesn't give me the right to tell a neurosurgeon how to give a lobotomy. I have driven over bridges, but that doesn't give me the right to tell engineers how to build one. I have a checking/savings account, but that doesn't give me the right or knowledge to tell accountants how to give audits.

And just because you've sat on the student's side of the desk doesn't give you any knowledge on what's it's like to sit on the teacher's side of the desk. That's as da*n foolish as the proverbial 5-yr old that says he can't stand the taste of peas, without ever having tasted them. Do not tell me what my job is (or especially, how to do it) until you've done it yourself. You don't know what we do after school or during the breaks.

What most of us teachers would like from society is not higher pay, or better benefits or larger retirements. Most of us would like for you people to stop your b*tching and extend us some frickin courtesy for doing a job that most of you would quit in the first month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
We don't have 3 months. My year will end on May 24, 2013. The fall semester starts (for teachers) the first week of August. So, it's more like a little over 2 months that we are not teaching.

However, if your were to come by my school during the summer, you would find that over 1/4 of the teachers here at any given day. And not necessarily the same 1/4 of the faculty. We are working on our rooms, developing new lesson plans from new text books/resources, helping with scheduling for next year, etc. All without receiving extra pay (well, some do, but they ae on 12-month contracts, not the usual 10-month contract). I practice new chemistry & physics labs because I don't have my classroom during the academic year (a roaming teacher must use it).

Why is it that some people feel that they can tell me what I do on my job when they have never done it themselves? I have a brain, but that doesn't give me the right to tell a neurosurgeon how to give a lobotomy. I have driven over bridges, but that doesn't give me the right to tell engineers how to build one. I have a checking/savings account, but that doesn't give me the right or knowledge to tell accountants how to give audits.

And just because you've sat on the student's side of the desk doesn't give you any knowledge on what's it's like to sit on the teacher's side of the desk. That's as da*n foolish as the proverbial 5-yr old that says he can't stand the taste of peas, without ever having tasted them. Do not tell me what my job is (or especially, how to do it) until you've done it yourself. You don't know what we do after school or during the breaks.

What most of us teachers would like from society is not higher pay, or better benefits or larger retirements. Most of us would like for you people to stop your b*tching and extend us some frickin courtesy for doing a job that most of you would quit in the first month.
How can you say we would quit in the first month when you just admitted you have no clue what we do?
It may be alot easier and more fulfilling then what we do and we may love it.

Here is the issue with telling us we do not know what teachers do- #1- we all went to school and we all saw what teachers do on a daily basis for the first 22+ years of our lives

#2- Many of us are parents with children in school- we interact with teachers either directly or indirectly on a daily basis- helping kids with homework- parent teacher conferences.

There is a much better chance that the public knows what teacher's career consists of then a teacher knowing what a private sector employee's career consists of. Its why many private sector employees go to teach later in life and not vice versa.

Can we all say we know basically what a Postal worker's job consists of- I think so.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post

I understand what you are saying, but you don't seem to get where I am coming from. For most jobs that I am familiar with (jobs related to corporate work) you work 50 hours/week in the office, another 10 hours/week at home, get a few weeks vacation but only take 10 days off per year because you can't get away for longer than that. So when I see a job that gives two months off every year, that seems like paradise.

I am looking at this from a ease-of-living standpoint. Obviously there are stresses involved with teaching, but it is hardly a job that I would 'quit in the first month'. Have you ever had to fly across the country, be away from family/friends for weeks at a time while working 85 hour weeks? I didn't think so. So please continue. Please tell me how stressful it is to work only 50 hours/week while taking months off every year.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but you don't seem to get where I am coming from. For most jobs that I am familiar with (jobs related to corporate work) you work 50 hours/week in the office, another 10 hours/week at home, get a few weeks vacation but only take 10 days off per year because you can't get away for longer than that. So when I see a job that gives two months off every year, that seems like paradise.

I am looking at this from a ease-of-living standpoint. Obviously there are stresses involved with teaching, but it is hardly a job that I would 'quit in the first month'. Have you ever had to fly across the country, be away from family/friends for weeks at a time while working 85 hour weeks? I didn't think so. So please continue. Please tell me how stressful it is to work only 50 hours/week while taking months off every year.
but teachers have it so much harder then us!
the point is- we all have difficult careers at times, sometimes we like them sometimes we cant stand them.
Teachers complain that we do not get their careers, convienently when they want more pay and benefits on the taxpayers dime with the backing of a massive union headed by a greedy union boss.

Sorry but teachers are not special, they are career driven citizens like the rest of us.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
master, boss.. same difference.

I have no problem with private unions. But collective bargaining against the taxpayers does not sit well with most clear thinkers.
Nope. I never had a union boss either. On The Waterfront was a great movie but that was 65 years ago.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Teachers, police officers, firefighters, soldiers, nurses, childcare workers, and many others are not paid what they are worth. Unfortunately, our society values athletes and performers more than people who actually make a difference.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Overpensioned and overbenefitted but not overcashed.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
What you would think about a chemical engineer's career is based on pure ignorance.
You obviously have no clue what a chemical engineer is, while most of us know what a teachers job consists of there are many careers in society we have no clue about.

You are the typical teachers union sympathizer that makes most of us say "Oh poor teachers- they have it oh so hard!!!"

And to say chemical engineers have no direct hand in the continued growth of this country is so completely absurd ; Do you realize engineers are educated by teachers? Teachers teach things so people like engineers can go out and make the country better. you have completely discredited anything you ever post again.

You are a total ignoramous, brainwashed by some teachers union thug.
LOL at the black bold....ohhhhh, I am so scared of BoomBoom lol!

And from your post, you obviously don't know what a teachers job consists of. I am no sort of "teacher union" sympathizer lol. In many ways I don't support actual teacher unions, but I don't see the detriment of unions in general and I can see why teachers want to be unionized since so many, as is evidenced by your ignorant post, want to label them as some sort of enemy of the state. And FWIW all teachers are not a part of a teacher union.

And LOL again at your ignorance on the blue bolded area. I am quite sure you are ignorant in reading comprehension since the blue bold is EXACTLY what I said above - that teachers teach engineers, without them, engineers could not be who they are. I value engineering very much, just as I value teachers. I don't see either of them as less valuable than the other, but teachers do have a more direct hand in advances of our country. They teach children basic skills, the average teacher over the course of 20 years will touch the lives of thousands of students directly, which means they are there...in person with the children...in layman's terms - they more directly influence our society than an engineer because they do it everyday.

Quote:
How can you say we would quit in the first month when you just admitted you have no clue what we do?
It may be alot easier and more fulfilling then what we do and we may love it.

Here is the issue with telling us we do not know what teachers do- #1- we all went to school and we all saw what teachers do on a daily basis for the first 22+ years of our lives

#2- Many of us are parents with children in school- we interact with teachers either directly or indirectly on a daily basis- helping kids with homework- parent teacher conferences.

There is a much better chance that the public knows what teacher's career consists of then a teacher knowing what a private sector employee's career consists of. Its why many private sector employees go to teach later in life and not vice versa.

Can we all say we know basically what a Postal worker's job consists of- I think so.
LOL again you. The fact that you think that teacher's jobs only consist of classroom time, homework, and teacher's conferences is proof that you do not know everything that a teacher does. Many teachers perform more duties than classroom work, though it is a significant portion of their time, and probably the most enjoyable, they have to contend with many facets of their careers that you are not privy to knowing what transpires such as reporting, tracking, social services interventions, testing, government beaurocracy, faculty/staff meetings, and ongoing education/training that they must attend. Also just because school is out does not mean that teachers are not doing any of the above. Many teachers also coach sports/events as a part of their job, they are counselors to their students, especially in middle and high school years. There are a lot of things they deal with that you don't know about and that I don't know about because I am not a teacher. I work in the corporate world, which so many on here are saying is oh so much harder than teaching. I admit that my job can be stressful, but so is a teacher's job. I also admit that I do not work in a field that directly impacts society on a daily basis. Teacher's do, as do nurses, police officers, doctors, firefighters, paraprofessionals, therapists, social workers, and many many other professions.

Also, tell me what a postal worker does? I bet you think they just sort and deliver mail. Postal work has many facets as well depending on what one's job is with the agency.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
You saw what teachers did in the classroom. You saw the end product, that would be like me saying I know all about ovens because I cook every day. I may have a good idea what an oven consists of and generally I can recognize a good one compared to a bad one, but it doesn't mean I can be one, I will understand all the mechanics of how it works, or build one.

Quote:
Helping a child with homework is not the same as teaching that child. If it is homework it should have already been taught and you are just reinforcing the learning. You are only having to work one-on-one with one child, and in all likelihood, a brighter than average child. You don't have to also work with kids that have limited academic skills or don't speak the language at the same time. How can you possibly have a clue what a teacher does based on a parent/teacher conference? That list of grades, assignments, and tests they hand you, that takes minutes to read, alone probably took that teacher a couple hours to just input the data. And that doesn't include the time it took the teacher to grade those things. A simple multiple choice assignment that takes 1 minute to grade will take a teacher with 120 students 2 hours to grade.

Quote:
No, teachers leave early in the career. Around 50% leave the profession in the first 5 years. They hate it so much they just choose to throw away their 4+ years of education and completely changes fields. Needless to say, they don't make it to retirement.

Half of Teachers Quit in 5 Years

High Teacher Turnover Rates are a Big Problem for America’s Public Schools - Forbes

Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Quote:
wow...taking 3 months off every year? No teacher can complain about salaries if they actually take summers off. Isn't that just a little bit lazy?
no i dont think its lazy since its apart of how school works.. you can choose to spread your money over the 12 months or take your money in on 9 months.. but teaching is hard work now a days esp when you have crazy students who don't care to learn, fight alot and have no respect for authority... my mom is exhausted from teaching but she can't afford to retire.. but yes most (like 80%) teachers i know and all their friends don't work during the summer.

i would have became a teacher but with all the trouble , its not worth it to me esp since it doesn't pay alot unless your in a dangerous area( like 10 years ago my mom would get paid more if she taught in the ghetto but your also more likely to be stabbed so there's that) or bigger city... now being a college professor i think thats totally worth it because not only do they get paid more, less you have to deal with (as far as authority) and you get the longest holidays and summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies