Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I'm a science teacher. I don't believe in evolution. I don't believe in gravity or electromagnetism, either. Evolution doesn't rest on belief. It's physical reality.
And the Texas School Board, still allows you to teach?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

Life did not need a cause, necessarily. It would be nice if it did, I suppose. Or not, depending on what it was. It is entirely possible - and given the general conditions on this planet in the past, actually probable that life spontaneously occurred.

That in itself does not rule out a creator or creators.

It's not nearly as improbable as the Creationists want people to believe, but then they aren't very good at math.

Panspermia is possible, but frankly a little more farfetched. It also doesn't preclude the existence or involvement of a Creator.

So I don't know. We don't know yet. But we learn more every day through science seeking answers.

As for the "why" of it all, well, that's the province of religion and philosophy.
I think we could find some common ground with this reply because you have taken the "either/or" out of it. Probably the most honest posts I have read.

I also think science has a use for "why".

Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why wouldn't they...He is right, evolution is reality...Or perhaps you were just joking?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
I don't see it as being a troll in fact I think they are quite right. If one doesn't believe in god, evolution is the next best answer. Of course as you mention previously, even if you do believe in god, evolution still remains the best answer.

I would say he has them corned by their own inconsistent arguments. They make a habit of that sort of squirmery when they cannot explain why a created protocell is impossible yet one that self-assembles from random amino acids and proteins is the only logical explanation for the existence of biological life.

Yes, it is as simple as believing a Creator exists or not.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why wouldn't they...He is right, evolution is reality...Or perhaps you were just joking?
Sanspeur, you know me, of course I was joking.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The Bible says the Earth is flat?

Link?

The Bible says the Earth is the center of the Universe?

Link?

Now about Darwins leap to life in that warm pond, got some proof that actually happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
That's what those Bible-believing flat earthers say. Yes.

The Flat-Earth Bible.

That's what those Bible-believing geocentrists say. Yes.

Geocentricity

Nope. Don't need it. It has nothing to do with evolution.

From your link...

Isaiah 45:12, “I, with my own hands, stretched out the heavens [shamayim] and caused all their host to shine...”

This does not describe the creation of space during the Big Bang?

Were you trying to make my point or yours?

As for the rest of this person's interpretation, he seems to be trying to argue visions, dreams and prophesies as literal accounts of actual events rather than representative and symbolic.

Do you not know that trees and grass in Bible prophesy are often representative of large groups of people? The same applies to bodies of water, as in a sea of people. Stars and candle sticks often represent churches, various beasts represent nations and the heads of those beasts represent governments and/or leaders.

Again, from your link...

Disregarding the dome, the essential flatness of the earth's surface is required by verses like Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king “saw a tree of great height at the center of the earth...reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds.” If the earth were flat, a sufficiently tall tree would be visible to “the earth's farthest bounds,” but this is impossible on a spherical earth.

In context, we see this passage refers to a dream by King Nebuchadnezzar which could not be interpreted by his own seers. For this reason he had Daniel interpret his dream. Note your link doesn't mention this is a dream by a pagan King and the account is his own. Only after the King's seers fail, Daniel interprets the symbolic meaning of the dream...

Daniel 4:8-12 “But at the last Daniel came in before me, whose name was Belteshazzar, according to the name of my god, and in whom is the spirit of the holy gods: and before him I told the dream, saying, 9 O Belteshazzar, master of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in you, and no secret troubleth you, tell me the visions of my dream that I have seen, and the interpretation thereof. Thus were the visions of mine head in my bed; I saw, and behold a tree in the midst of the earth, and the height thereof was great. 11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth: 12 The leaves thereof were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all: the beasts of the field had shadow under it, and the fowls of the heaven dwelt in the boughs thereof, and all flesh was fed of it.”

Like to try again?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times
Still no presentation of an alternative to the Evolution fact. I was hoping. Not really. The theory is solid and easily confirmed.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Recalibrate your sarcasm detector.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
From your link...

Isaiah 45:12, “I, with my own hands, stretched out the heavens [shamayim] and caused all their host to shine...”

This does not describe the creation of space during the Big Bang?

Were you trying to make my point or yours?

As for the rest of this person's interpretation, he seems to be trying to argue visions, dreams and prophesies as literal accounts of actual events rather than representative and symbolic.

Do you not know that trees and grass in Bible prophesy are often representative of large groups of people? The same applies to bodies of water, as in a sea of people. Stars and candle sticks often represent churches, various beasts represent nations and the heads of those beasts represent governments and/or leaders.

Again, from your link...

Disregarding the dome, the essential flatness of the earth's surface is required by verses like Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king “saw a tree of great height at the center of the earth...reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds.” If the earth were flat, a sufficiently tall tree would be visible to “the earth's farthest bounds,” but this is impossible on a spherical earth.

In context, we see this passage refers to a dream by King Nebuchadnezzar which could not be interpreted by his own seers. For this reason he had Daniel interpret his dream. Note your link doesn't mention this is a dream by a pagan King and the account is his own. Only after the King's seers fail, Daniel interprets the symbolic meaning of the dream...

Daniel 4:8-12 “But at the last Daniel came in before me, whose name was Belteshazzar, according to the name of my god, and in whom is the spirit of the holy gods: and before him I told the dream, saying, 9 O Belteshazzar, master of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in you, and no secret troubleth you, tell me the visions of my dream that I have seen, and the interpretation thereof. Thus were the visions of mine head in my bed; I saw, and behold a tree in the midst of the earth, and the height thereof was great. 11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth: 12 The leaves thereof were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all: the beasts of the field had shadow under it, and the fowls of the heaven dwelt in the boughs thereof, and all flesh was fed of it.”

Like to try again?
No one sane is going to present the Bible or any other religious text as an argument, I hope.

It'd be torn apart by a kindergarten kid, let alone a scientist.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
No one sane is going to present the Bible or any other religious text as an argument, I hope.

It'd be torn apart by a kindergarten kid, let alone a scientist.

Well, Historiandude seems to think the Bible says the Earth is flat.

Are you also going to claim the Bible states the Earth is flat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies