Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:25 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,285,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
FDR was right, public employees should NEVER be able to unionize. they get plenty from the civil service laws already on the books in EVERY state. all a union does is cost the people more money in taxes and fees paid to the government.

hogwash. the GOP in wisconsin is trying to get business BACK into the state. you cant do that if your tax rates are too high. witness new york, california, new jersey, maryland, and other high tax states. what businesses that can are leaving those states and going to states like florida and texas and nevada where the tax rates are lower, and the business environment is better. and the rich are doing the same thing, leaving the high tax states for lower tax states, and what happens to the high tax states? they LOSE TAX REVENUE. you can only squeeze so much tax money from the people before they move out, and then where are you with all the spending the state wants to do? bankrupt thats where.

perhaps you should take economics 101 and learn how the economy really works, and perhaps you will change your mind about always wanting to "tax the rich". and also understand that even if you raise taxes on the rich, they will either move their money where it cant be touched, or pass along the higher tax rates to the middle class and the poor, by way of increased prices for the goods they buy.
Notice something else about the states of Nevada, Texas and Florida?

Extremely poor quality public schools systems for grades K-12. The affluent people in these states mitigate the poor quality of the educational systems by living in affluent areas where the real estate taxes mean more money for the school districts or by sending their kids to private schools. If you don't live in those school districts your education is a crap shot at best.

This is policy that encourages social inequality. Which as a Conservative I'm sure you wholeheartedly endorse.

The irony here is that Wisconsin has one of the best public school systems in the country on a statewide basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 04:39 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,499,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Oh covenient!

However public employees have the right to collectively bargain BY LAW!

This is not about public opinion this is a matter of law and the rights conferred by law. Now if you want to lie down like a sheep and let a group of people primarily controlled by corporate interest take away YOUR RIGHTS then you are free to so.

The teachers in Wisconsin obviously don't agee with you. I for one commend them for standig up for their rights. If more people did so this country would be a lot better off.
And Wisconsin passed that law. They have every right to throw it out.

No one is violating anyone's rights here. They are attemptig to change the law.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,499,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Notice something else about the states of Nevada, Texas and Florida?

Extremely poor quality public schools systems for grades K-12. The affluent people in these states mitigate the poor quality of the educational systems by living in affluent areas where the real estate taxes mean more money for the school districts or by sending their kids to private schools. If you don't live in those school districts your education is a crap shot at best.

This is policy that encourages social inequality. Which as a Conservative I'm sure you wholeheartedly endorse.

The irony here is that Wisconsin has one of the best public school systems in the country on a statewide basis.
2/3 of Wisconsin 8th graders can't read at grade level.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it is rather telling that members of a profession that requires a very high I.Q. were willing to risk their careers because they side with the teachers?
being a doctor requires a high IQ? hogwash. some of the biggest dumbasses i know are doctors, and my mother can tell you that as well since she worked as an RN for more than 50 years.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:51 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,096,576 times
I find it very ironic that the same group on here that are always screaming about "government take-over", "listening to the people's voice", etc. etc. are the very people on here now who are advocating the government taking control of people's jobs. I guess they are only against the government when it isn't being run by corporations with the big money guys pulling the strings and making the rules for the government.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:07 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
I don't think you people are getting it. This bill will affect all public employees, not just teachers. So, you know, there are more than just teachers at these protests.
Yes, and some of these other employees carry a lot more "clout" with the public, such as police and firefighters. For some reason, people on this forum anyway, seem majority very disrespectful of teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Even FDR, a major friend of unions, felt public employees should not be unionized. This is one issue in which I agree with FDR.
80 years ago! What else is new in 80 years? FDR wouldn't recognize the place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm sorry children of Wisconsin, we need to fire your teachers to pay for the Koch's to have our power plants and for the rich to get their tax cuts.

Don't worry, it's for your own good.

Signed,

Wisconsin GOP
Yes, It's "for the kids". LOL!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:08 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,574,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have been watching the media reports and specially the images where teachers are signing papers/doctors forms stating they have something that makes them not able to teach.

On top of that if you see the signs and language on the signs...how on earth can that be an example for our students?

I know for sure if it would be the other way around the students would be at suspended for using this language!

We should all ask the people in charge to do what Ronald Reagan did back in the days and every one who doesn't show up in class to teach...fire them!

that will solve the unemployment rate faster...

Yes, teachers are your enemy.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,285,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
2/3 of Wisconsin 8th graders can't read at grade level.
Now that was really slick what you didn't say is that Wisconsin ranks 13th in this category, while Texas ranks 34th, Florida ranks 38th, and Nevada ranks 43rd.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

The State of Wisconsin ranks 13th in the nation in the percentage of the population with a High School Diploma at 88.8%. The State of Texas is LAST in that category, the State of Nevada is 33rd, and the State of Florida is 34th.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

Wisconsin ranks third in the nation in combined SAT scores for 2010. Texas is 45th, Nevada is 43rd, and Florida is 41st.

2010 SAT Scores by State

Wisconsin's public school system clearly outperforms those in Texas, Florida, or Nevada.

If you want to insist it doesn't that only thing you are doing is insulting your own intelligence. I understand it's a popular Conservative pastime.

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 07:07 AM..

Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times
Why don't we fire lying governors?

The Wisconsin Lie Exposed – Taxpayers Actually Contribute Nothing To Public Employee Pensions

Quote:
Gov. Scott Walker says he wants state workers covered by collective bargaining agreements to “contribute more” to their pension and health insurance plans. Accepting Gov. Walker’ s assertions as fact, and failing to check, creates the impression that somehow the workers are getting something extra, a gift from taxpayers. They are not. Out of every dollar that funds Wisconsin’ s pension and health insurance plans for state workers, 100 cents comes from the state workers.
The Wisconsin Lie Exposed – Taxpayers Actually Contribute Nothing To Public Employee Pensions - Rick Ungar - The Policy Page - Forbes

Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have been watching the media reports and specially the images where teachers are signing papers/doctors forms stating they have something that makes them not able to teach.

On top of that if you see the signs and language on the signs...how on earth can that be an example for our students?

I know for sure if it would be the other way around the students would be at suspended for using this language!

We should all ask the people in charge to do what Ronald Reagan did back in the days and every one who doesn't show up in class to teach...fire them!

that will solve the unemployment rate faster...
Sure, just fire them. Then try to replace them. See how many teachers are going to line up to work in WI. Oh, wait, you probably think that ANYONE can be a teacher. How hard can it be?? Sit those kids down and...just TEACH them. Good luck with that... Let me know how it works for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies