Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 06:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times

Advertisements

I suspect that liberals use the rail system as much as any other political party... so why the fascination with something most of them wouldn't use... cause it makes them feel better... I find it intensely ironic that most of the liberals that I know drive a car but demand that a rail system be in place even though they would never use it... you think money grows on trees or something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
evilnewbie, Go to DC or Chicago. It is used. They key as with any product is careful planning, and full development. We have a rail system that serves a few counties just twice daily in/out of Nashville..pathetic planning, wouldn't invest needed money, poorly used, and quite predictable. had they fully developed and funded it with many runs every hour, like the New Haven-NYC line, the results would have been much better. Short-sighted thinking destroys public transit.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I suspect that liberals use the rail system as much as any other political party... so why the fascination with something most of them wouldn't use... cause it makes them feel better... I find it intensely ironic that most of the liberals that I know drive a car but demand that a rail system be in place even though they would never use it... you think money grows on trees or something...
We use rail twice a day, five days a week, most weeks of the year. On occasion, we use it to travel into the city for sports events and the like.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:25 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
I can't wait until all the oil disappear and everybody suddenly see the light...

Old 09-25-2011, 03:00 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I can't wait until all the oil disappear and everybody suddenly see the light...
Yeah we'll just wake up one morning and it will be gone

Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
From this document, page 46, emphasis mine: http://dot.alaska.gov/stwdplng/areaplans/lrtpp/documents/SWLRTPPfinal022908-v2.pdf (broken link)

I think I'm done talking to you.
ROFL! Obviously you need to look at a map. There are no federal highways or interstates in Alaska. Alaska is not even connected to the lower-48 fool. LOL!

Old 09-25-2011, 03:51 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Don't hold your breath.

We still have lots of oil in Alaska.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:55 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Supachal, Rails usefulness extends beyond cities. Chicago and DC both run good systems that reach rather deep into the suburbs, to name just two. The combined urban and bedroom burb population is imense, and rail is not fully developed there, but it would make sense there, especially if ROI were done right, meaning it must account for road repair costs saved, as well as rail net taxpayer costs.
I agree with your larger point, but I'd like to add this fact to the discussion. Roads typically are designed for the heaviest vehicle permitted on them....mainly large trucks (semi's etc...), so my guess is that a few less cars on the road aren't really going to make much of a different in the road repair cost factor. My guess is that weather (in much of the country) is the biggest factor in breaking roads down. The freeze/thaw cycle along with just a few cars can do wonders in breaking down a road.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:37 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Don't hold your breath.

We still have lots of oil in Alaska.
Yes and we use Tons of oil each and everyday.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,054 times
aren't you forgetting the 13 million or so that use that line in the new york-new haven area. even w/ 13 counties and counting all of the live stock in the nashville area you wouldn't have enough to fill up the petticoat junction express. lol. we rode on one occasion, and i think it had 17 people on it, that included the conductor and the three of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies