Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:14 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Actually, humans still do rain dances. There still exists in the 21st Century, piratism and cannabalism. Humans only stopped burning witches at the stake 200 some years ago.

Scientific study under controlled conditions for a couple of years do not provide any data, one way or the other. Show me a scientist with verifiable data obtained thru hundreds of years or even thousands of years of observation. Not in a controlled condition.

How much did you say the planet has warmed in the past 1,000 years?

Yes, you're right. I'm broadcasting from the Planet of the Apes. I have my magnets on to cure my arthritis, and the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Actually, there are places where witches are still burned alive. But mainly they're referenced as Gypsies and other "exotic names." And it usually occurs in Africa and the Middle East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Actually, humans still do rain dances. There still exists in the 21st Century, piratism and cannabalism. Humans only stopped burning witches at the stake 200 some years ago.

Scientific study under controlled conditions for a couple of years do not provide any data, one way or the other. Show me a scientist with verifiable data obtained thru hundreds of years or even thousands of years of observation. Not in a controlled condition.

How much did you say the planet has warmed in the past 1,000 years?

Yes, you're right. I'm broadcasting from the Planet of the Apes. I have my magnets on to cure my arthritis, and the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
As I suspected in my posting, scientific data and analysis wasn't going to sway your point of view, and I'm sure many agree with you. However, if you aren't going to evaluate and critically review scientific data from multiple international sources, then nothing short of the earth being on fire would convince you of the validity of the evidence. Even then, I think you would believe it to be a coincidence.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:56 PM

59 posts, read 227,868 times
Default common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
As I suspected in my posting, scientific data and analysis wasn't going to sway your point of view, and I'm sure many agree with you. However, if you aren't going to evaluate and critically review scientific data from multiple international sources, then nothing short of the earth being on fire would convince you of the validity of the evidence. Even then, I think you would believe it to be a coincidence.
Hello, my name is Bill Bates.

I'm a billionaire and I'm willing to fund multiple global experiements with multi-international sources on global farting. And, if you don't give me the answers I feel are valid, then I will pull your funding so you can't live the scientific life you so passionately believe in.

In fact, if you don't prove my theories about farting, not only will I pull my funding but I'll hire a battery of lawyers to discount your findings as nothing but "hot air".

Without forest fires created by lightning strikes, a large number of our forests would never germinate. Why? Because without the intense heat of a forest fire the seeds won't pop open and never would germinate. That's a controlled scientfic experiment done by mother nature over the course of thousands of years.

Thousands of years of knowledge without ever worrying about global warming. It does prove one thing, that Gore has zero common sense and would be a horrific President.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
Quote:
Thousands of years of knowledge without ever worrying about global warming.
That's pretty misleading. Maybe in some literal, totally irrelevant sense, we have had thousands of years of knowledge. In the context of global warming, though, we definitely have not. I don't think the ancient Egyptians could measure that sort of thing.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:18 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
nasa.gov is a domain, not a page. The index page of nasa.gov does not contain the information you claim.

It is pretty evident now, Kuharai, that you are just making this up.
wow, does he also have to tell you to put www. in front of nasa.gov?

here's the whole URL just for you... NASA - Home

here's another one: Google

Old 07-25-2007, 02:31 PM

al gore isn't a politician? wow, that isn't even close to being correct.. He's a capitalist though, I'll give him credit for that. He's making a freaking fortune off a massive flock of lemmings..

best post so far was about how cool it's been this year and not one headline has said this.. pretty amazing... and I have no doubt at all that there would've been blaring headlines all over the world if temperatures would've been .1 degree warmer... oh yeah

BTW, the term global warming no longer exists, it is now climate change. please try to keep up
and for those wondering why it no longer exists, look at the part about how it's been cooler this year.. that doesn't jibe too well with the word warming

Old 07-25-2007, 06:18 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
al gore isn't a politician? wow, that isn't even close to being correct..
He's acting as an environmentalist.

Global Warming Interactive, Global Warming Simulation, Climate Change Simulation - National Geographic
Since many might not want to read it all, here's a crucial fact:
"Scientists have known about the greenhouse effect since 1824, when Joseph Fourier calculated that the Earth would be much colder if it had no atmosphere. This greenhouse effect is what keeps the Earth's climate livable. Without it, the Earth's surface would be an average of about 60 degrees Fahrenheit cooler. In 1895, the Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius discovered that humans could enhance the greenhouse effect by making carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas. He kicked off 100 years of climate research that has given us a sophisticated understanding of global warming."
Scientists knew about it already in 1824. No atmosphere= really cold, inhibitable climate. The atmosphere is what keeps the warmth around the earth instead of radiating out to space. The thicker it is, the more warmth stays. And since it is the greenhouse gases that makes up most of the atmosphere, and since carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas... Res ipsa loquitur. The case speaks for itself.

Yes, the ice has been melting before. It IS natural. It is the SPEED of the melting that is the concern and that is showing unboubtedly that SOMETHING IS happening.
Global Climate Change, Melting Glaciers - National Geographic (http://green.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/big-thaw.html?nav=FEATURES - broken link)
""Things that normally happen in geologic time are happening during the span of a human lifetime," says Fagre."
and
"Scientists who assess the planet's health see indisputable evidence that Earth has been getting warmer, in some cases rapidly. Most believe that human activity, in particular the burning of fossil fuels and the resulting buildup of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, have influenced this warming trend."
Influenced. We're not solely responsible for the warming since melting and "weather" has occured throught the history of this planet, but we ARE INFLUENCING it to the point of stressing it. We are responsible, like it or not.

Living in a northern country, I know for a fact that winters have gotten warmer and shorter. And that summers have gotten rainier and colder. It's not like it used to be.
In over 100 years, we've only experienced 3 hurricanes in my country.
One in 1969.
TWO and the most devestating ones in 2005 and 2007.
Believe me, we lost most of the forest around my village. And this has not happened in over 300 years in my area. And now we had TWO only two years appart.
If you live in a already warm climate, you may not notice the difference right away. But living in a supposedly cold climate, in the northern part of the world (which is where the scientists predicted the global climate change would first appear) you CAN tell there's a difference. A major difference.
Sweden was one of the countries that first started recording the weather and temperatures throughout the days/years, and there is an undoubted change going on. Common knowledge AND scientific fact.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 PM

ok, had to google Swedish hurricanes to find out what that was all about. They seem to be more like winter storms as they all hit in January.. They're not actually hurricanes, they just have hurricane strength winds.
I wouldn't want to be caught in either one of them, but I had to find out what a Swedish hurricane could possibly be..

also, if you average something over 300 years does the strongest of anything have to be at 75 and 225 for it to be an average? no.. the strongest can be right next to eachother and you still come up with the same average. sometimes things just happen like that.. for instance, I'm in one of the coldest cities in the country right now and it's been this way for, well, it seems like almost forever, but there is no way you can say that San Antonio is suddenly a cold city. I guarantee you it'll get REALLY hot again and a summer here will once again be very unpleasant.. Just sometimes pressure systems don't line up like they should and that's what we have in the US. The normal high that should be sitting over Texas right now and baking the crap out of us is further north and this is allowing gulf moisture to come up and keep us very cloudy and on the extremely high side of rain totals. Dead opposite of what we had last year, but last year the high pressure system was parked where it was supposed to be.. This is how nature rolls, however it feels like...

BTW, al gore is a politician. I can't force you to understand it, but I don't think a single person here in the US would side with you that he isn't....

almost forgot, where do these 300 year old observations come from? does anyone actually think that technology from 300 years ago is even remotely close to what we have now?? I don't

Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,704 times
i think his only point about gore is that he doesn't have a political agenda in doing his recent environmental work.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:46 PM

she's a she and I don't want her to jump you like she did me a while ago when I didn't notice she was a she and called her a he..

That is true, but I completely don't trust him not trying to poke into the 2008 election.. a smart man would sit on the sidelines and let the big two kill eachother, and I never said al was stupid... he's making a lot more money than I am, so he's not a fool.

plus, can a politician ever get that grease completely off their skin?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies