Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What an excellent idea! We need more drilling to get to the hard to reach places where there is still lots of oil! Consequences be damned!

I'm just glad that we didn't stop mining for coal, after the first mining accident. Every fikkin' thing we love using today is because we had an "INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION"!!!

OH....and how did we have that revolution??? COAL!!!! How did we win two world wars??? Fossil fuel!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Do you understand??? If there is MORE of a comodity than the demand the price goes down....
Not necessarily, often demand just goes up instead. Part of why oil fell in 2009 was not that more was produced by rather that demand collapsed due to the recession.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Do you understand??? If there is MORE of a comodity than the demand the price goes down....
Yes, I understand that. Unfortunately for you, the United States is not the only country in the world.

Do you understand that at with only 10% of world's production, the US can only make a tiny insignificant dent in oil prices if it increases its production?

This is not me saying it, but your own department of energy. Study about offshore drilling made during Bush years: EIA - Impacts of Increased Access to Oil and Natural Gas Resources in the Lower 48 Federal Outer Continental Shelf

Unless you live in a magical world in which the US can double or triple its production in a sustained way, it's unlikely that prices will change even if you alllow drilling all over the place.

Plus the OPEC countries would probably scale down production to avoid the barrel from going below a certain mark. Just as they are likely to rev up production if the barrel spikes too high, like they typically do.

Assuming you'd manage to get a significant dip in oil prices, this would likely put the world economy in overdrive for a short time (increased demand), only to send prices back up.

Sooner or later, people are gonna have to come to grip with the fact that the only way oil prices are going in the long run is up. Look, I would like it too if there was an infinite amount of easy oil in my backyard, just like it would be awesome if it started raining gold coins and diamonds, but unfortunately that's not reality. You can make your choices according to that reality instead of complaining.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I'm just glad that we didn't stop mining for coal, after the first mining accident. Every fikkin' thing we love using today is because we had an "INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION"!!!

OH....and how did we have that revolution??? COAL!!!! How did we win two world wars??? Fossil fuel!!!!!
Maybe you forgot how we used to get that "fikkin" stuff back then too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXgDzrd_2I0

It's slightly more easy to drill a well on the Texas prairie than it is to drill in 5000 ft deep ocean. Do you really think we do deep ocean drilling because it's fun? Do you really think that revolution would of happened if there was only oil and coal in the places we find it today? Is it somehow safer to drill in the open ocean than on the prairie?

Not to mention this is hardly the "first" accident. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

Wake up dude. The easy to reach stuff that put us where we are today is GONE.

Your uneducated statments are like saying we could win today's wars with WW2 technology, because after all, it made us winners back then!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:00 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The main rreason to drill is that it stops the flow od american dollars outside the conuntry by huge amounts and keeps those jobs in the coutnry besides.It alos adds to the total crude prodcued worldwide and effects gasoline pirces.It alos help when a disrution like th 15% we saw i the 70's that cause gas prioces to tripe quickly and long lines.But we are never going to be a mass prodcuers becaue we do not have the amounts of oilwe did. Just the amount pumped i WWII reduced our suplly by a large amount.Oil more tha anyhtign else and our lack of it will mean we will never again be the country we were drive by it and none of us will see the day when alternatives are a cheaper much less any thing close to a significant replace emnt for oil as not just a fuel but the other 19000 products produced from it that are essentail in the modern world.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,248 times
It's amazing how our ancestors adapted and lived through the ice age with sticks and stone yet the modern man can't envision a more energy efficient world. The resistance from people who can't accept the realities about oil is just laughable. It's as if you told a crack addict that the coca plant was going extinct. So what if you're gonna have to drive a small girly car or use the bus or even worse, walk some more?!

I understand some people need oil because of where they live or their line of work, but most of us live in cities and there is an awful lot of waste going on. I live downtown where cars are not needed. Even with high gas prices I see so many a**hats driving around with no purpose or simply to cover a few city blocks...it's depressing.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
With regards to "Drill Baby Drill" as I have pointed out ad nauseam, the price of oil is peg to global prices. For example, the current unrest in Libya has resulted in a new spike in oil prices, yet the amount of oil that U.S. imports from Libya is negligible at best but the price at the pump is the same. We can drill until the sun goes down but the price of oil will still be dependent on world wide supply and demand.

I might also mention, once again, that oil drilled in the U.S. is NOT dedicated to U.S. markets but rather the highest bidder. Currently the U.S. EXPORTS 2.5 million barrels of petroleum products per day.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Maybe I'm over generalizing, here. But it seems as though the same people who are saying "drill baby drill" are the same folks who are alarmed that our children will be paying our national debt.

I realize this is hyperbole, but, if I had to choose, I'd rather be in debt than live in a poisoned land.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
With regards to "Drill Baby Drill" as I have pointed out ad nauseam, the price of oil is peg to global prices. For example, the current unrest in Libya has resulted in a new spike in oil prices, yet the amount of oil that U.S. imports from Libya is negligible at best but the price at the pump is the same. We can drill until the sun goes down but the price of oil will still be dependent on world wide supply and demand.

I might also mention, once again, that oil drilled in the U.S. is NOT dedicated to U.S. markets but rather the highest bidder. Currently the U.S. EXPORTS 2.5 million barrels of petroleum products per day.
But the global price of oil does not reflect the reality of the Libyan situation. Libya is less than 2% of world oil production and there is some 1.6 billion barrels held in strategic reserves. Nope, the spike in the price of oil reflects fear, speculation and possibly a bit of market manipulation.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
umm..how is $5 per gallon gas a bad thing?

I'm praying that it will go to $6 per gallon within 5 years.

The higher the better.
Even if it means 40% unemployment?

A slow rise is good. A sudden spike will send this country into a panic. It was $147 oil that set in motion the 2008 collapse, and I am predicting a much, much worse collapse this year. The panic of 2011 will dwarf the panic of 2008.

The only place your money is safe now is under a mattress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies